SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
v8media
v8media is on a distinguished road

1998 SW1
Default 1998 SW1 shifter bushing, cable side

Hi all, thanks for all the great info about the shifter bushing. I had been calling around trying to find a replacement part and was happy to be able to just wire up my shifter until I got the replacement bushing. However, now the shifter cable side of things has broken. The cable on the car side, and the loop connected to the bottom of the shifter have separated. I don't have access to a lift, so I can't get a look at how hard it might be to replace the cable, nor have I figured out where those cables are routed.

So I guess the question is, is there a way to reconnect the loop to the shifter cable? Or a way to create a diy version? I could see some loop of bushing metal welded to the shifter cable maybe?

Or, if there's no way to do that, how hard is it to replace the cables as one person out in the street trying to fit under the car? I guess I'd have to at least get the car into first to get it onto some ramps. And is there a guide to doing this somewhere? Or is this more in the domain of having it towed and repaired?

Thanks, Ian
---

1998 Saturn SW1 manual 168k gold
1956 Chevy Bel Air 4dr auto 144k seafoam green + crocus yellow
v8media is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: 1998 SW1 shifter bushing, cable side

Don't really need to go under the car for the cables, especially in a pinch.

Interior portion:
Take the center console out, pop the cables off the shifter, unbolt the 10mm bolt that holds the cables in place on the shifter, move the stupid carpeting crap outta the way behind the fuse box & push the annoying retaining clip out.

Exterior portion:
Remove battery, remove battery box, remove both clips that hold the cables to the shift tower, remove the giant clips that hold the cables to the transmission (don't loose these, hard to find and required for any shifting action at all), pull cables out.

Install is the reverse of removal, but you won't be able to push the firewall clip thingy into place from above...it can wait for you to find/get ramps to drive it onto.

As for the part: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-2002-Sa...61aae4&vxp=mtr
Measure how far down the cable the retaining screw will go & file a flat onto the cable, extra insurance that the end won't slide off yet again when you require a different gear.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
v8media
v8media is on a distinguished road

1998 SW1

Ooh, thanks!

I hadn't seen that part before. Definitely a better design than the original one. I agree, a flat filed in the cable and that allen key screw will hold it quite well. Ordered!

I think the cables are working well besides that, so I'll hold off on them until needed. Doesn't sound too bad though if I have to do that.
---

1998 Saturn SW1 manual 168k gold
1956 Chevy Bel Air 4dr auto 144k seafoam green + crocus yellow
v8media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:53 AM   #4
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8media View Post
Ooh, thanks!

I hadn't seen that part before. Definitely a better design than the original one. I agree, a flat filed in the cable and that allen key screw will hold it quite well. Ordered!

I think the cables are working well besides that, so I'll hold off on them until needed. Doesn't sound too bad though if I have to do that.
I ordered one of these kits and put it in my glovebox. I figure if the loop gives way, like the bushing did earlier, this will help me from being stranded, as I was earlier with the bushing.

Cheaper than a tow.
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote