SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 02-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
officialdelano
officialdelano is on a distinguished road

Post Sl1 Engine Swap

Ok so I have a 96 sl1 (5 speed manual trans) and a Vue. engine busted on the sl1 and mom had a rear end accident in the vue. Am I crazy to try and put the vue engine in the sl1..? its the 04 vue 250-hp, 3.5-liter V-6. 5 speed manual trans. if it can be done what are the major things I need to know. I have a lot of time and a pretty decent budget...?
officialdelano is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2
Default Re: Sl1 Engine Swap

Can it be done? Doubtful.

Notice how people have spent ~$10k putting a turbo on these engines? That's just to get a turbo on the engine that belongs in there. These cars (like most) have components that mesh together. The engine fits with the transmission in the engine cradle, the transmission fits the wheel hubs and they fit the suspension. Change one thing and it all falls apart.
If you can do it, you are seriously talking about replacing/modifying almost everything but the interior. Unless you want to do it for the heck of doing it, I'd sell the vue and get a nice JY engine for the SL1 or vice-versa.

BTW - Welcome to SaturnFans!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
officialdelano
officialdelano is on a distinguished road

JY engine? that mean junk yard lol? how would I get the most hp out of the engine?
officialdelano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by officialdelano View Post
JY engine? that mean junk yard lol? how would I get the most hp out of the engine?
Yes it does.
Throw in the Twin Cam or DOHC version. That'll get around 24hp more than what it had before it died, and SOHC to DOHC swaps are fairly straight forward. DifferentRacing.com has a how-to, and there are several threads on it here.

Also, whatever you do, when the engine / transmission is out of the car it would be a great idea to replace the clutch (use a Luk kit from ebay, I do not remember which one).
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

You have a Vue and an S series car and you've posted in the L series forum...... Probably get better answers if you'd post in the correct forum.
Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

First of all, I would highly recommend working on the lowest cost / best replacement engind for the S. A SOHC engine swap aout is about as easy as you are likely to find. Swapping in a DOHC is much more involved, but is do-able if you have the patience and resources. The DOHC swap is 100x feasible that the Vue engine swap.

I have done two SOHC engine swaps using good used motors found on Craigslist and ebay. Be patient, do your research and be prepared to jump on a deal when you find it.

As far as performance goes... There are lots of little things you can do to these cars that are fun easy mods. ie: you can add a rear sway bar and rear disk brakes from a parts yard junker for under $100. AND it is all plug and play. If you are looking for a 1/4 beast..... sell both projects and go get an old 5.0 Mustang that much more bred for that purpose.

The Vue could be sold or parted out, depending on how bad the damage is. If you are patient, you could pay for most of your S parts this way.
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote