SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
joshusmc80
joshusmc80 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Question shifter cable help

I have a 99 sl2 5 speed. On my way home from work a few days ago, I down shifted into 3rd gear to exit I-75 and when I went to upshift again my gear shift was completely free from all resistance(like it was not attached to anything at all). I was stuck in third gear but I managed to get home safely.

I discovered that one of my shifter cables had broken near the transmission. I purchased and installed new cables. However, the shifter seems to be stuck sort of leaning towards the passenger side of the car. I can shift into what I think is 1st gear but it is in the 3rd gears position, but that is it. I installed everything back into the car the way it was but I still cant figure it out. Is there a special way to adjust these cables. The manual says installation is the reverse of removal. Am I missing something?

I have been searching these forums for a few hours but I can't find anyone else with this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
joshusmc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: shifter cable help

duplicate.......
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Are you sure that you have the right cable on the right lever at the transmission?

The lower cable is the left right motion of the lever in the car.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
duplicate.......
Yuppp. I just wrote on the other thread attaching your picture
Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:13 AM   #5
mrbios
mrbios is a jewel in the roughmrbios is a jewel in the roughmrbios is a jewel in the rough

1997 SW2

After changing the clutch on my 5 speed I had to replace the clips. I had almost the exact same issue you have. I could only shift in 3rd and 5th.
mrbios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I changed from an automatic to a manual tranny. I still don't think to this day I've put the clips on to hold the cables to the tranny. I remember thinking about it once, then checking (don't believe I saw the clips on there), then not being too worried about it. Other then the 3-4" shortened shifter which makes changing gears really really stiff I've had no problems with shifting.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
joshusmc80
joshusmc80 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I found out what the problem was. The bracket that holds the cables in place near the shifter was not on right. Once I tightend it down the way it was supposed to be, it would shift beautifully.

I want to thank everyone that took the time to post a reply to this thread. I'll be sure to return with more questions. Thanks again.
joshusmc80 is offline   Reply With Quote