saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 03-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
Bluealien
Bluealien is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2008 AURA XE
Default OnStar Not Functioning

I picked up my '08 Aura just a few days ago. I didn't have a chance to hit the OnStar button until last night. When I did, the light flashed red and nothing happened. So I figured this morning I'd call OnStar and see what the deal is. The had me test it by hitting the OnStar button with the radio on to see if it killed the radio audio, and it didn't, so the OnStar rep tried to connect to the car to run diagnostics, and she couldn't connect, citing an equipment failure.

So I called my Saturn dealer. It's booked in on Monday to be looked at. Until then I figured I'd see if anyone here has seen such a thing. Any idea what it might be? Any known problems with OnStar in the Aura?
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." ~ Albert Einstein

2007 Saturn Vue
2008 Saturn Aura
Bluealien is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
Default Re: OnStar Not Functioning

Haven't had any problems.

The dealer should not have let you leave without getting it set up. I would let the salesmand/manager know.
2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
huskercowboy
huskercowboy is on a distinguished road

No problems here either. Sales Consultant set up Onstar with us before we drove off of lot and it has worked fine ever since
huskercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

its now set up by the dealer on the internet so they may not know if it works
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

On*Star also has a backup battery which I have seen go bad (light turns solid red usually when this happens). That doesn't sound like the specific problem you are having, but just an FYI. I had that happen on a VUE I delivered yesterday but On*Star could still connect.
..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

i've never had an OnStar moment, and i use it daily via the phone service i have all needed numbers name tagged to voice. OnStar i really like it.
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
Bluealien

2007 VUE 3.5L
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete93SL1M View Post
light turns solid red usually when this happens
Well that's essentially what was happening. The light would be solid green to start with. Then I'd press the button and the light would start flashing and that's all - no OnStar announcement, no cutting off radio audio etc. Then eventually the light would flash red, then turn solid red.

Took it back to the dealer a couple of hours ago and I'm waiting for their call. The service manager said that it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to get to the OnStar module and test it, so I should here sometime soon. I'll post when I hear from them.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." ~ Albert Einstein

2007 Saturn Vue
2008 Saturn Aura
Old 04-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
Bluealien

2007 VUE 3.5L
2008 AURA XE

Update folks...

So the technician removed panel after panel after panel to get to the OnStar module (who knew that it could be hidden so deep within the bowels of the vehicle), took it out, tested it, and declared it D.O.A. So he put the panels back, gave me the car back with no OnStar module, and ordered a new one. Apparently OnStar's tech service turnaround is 7 to 10 days, which I find ludicrous for a new vehicle, but it's OnStar's policy, not Saturn's. He put it on the fastest rush order he could. So sometime next week the vehicle will go back for a day to get the new OnStar module installed.

I have to give kudos to the dealership though; they gave me an Astra for a courtesy vehicle, and it was an awesome little car. I've asked if I can have it again next week and they said it was no problem at all.

2007 Saturn Vue
2008 Saturn Aura
Old 04-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluealien View Post
So the technician removed panel after panel after panel to get to the OnStar module (who knew that it could be hidden so deep within the bowels of the vehicle), took it out, tested it, and declared it D.O.A. So he put the panels back, gave me the car back with no OnStar module, and ordered a new one. Apparently OnStar's tech service turnaround is 7 to 10 days, which I find ludicrous for a new vehicle, but it's OnStar's policy, not Saturn's.
My wife's iPod was out for service for 2 months before Apple declared it DOA and paid for a new one. 7-10 days is nothing for a mission-critical communication device.
Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
snobrdrdan
Advanced Member
snobrdrdan is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluealien View Post
Update folks...

So the technician removed panel after panel after panel to get to the OnStar module (who knew that it could be hidden so deep within the bowels of the vehicle), took it out, tested it, and declared it D.O.A. So he put the panels back, gave me the car back with no OnStar module, and ordered a new one. Apparently OnStar's tech service turnaround is 7 to 10 days, which I find ludicrous for a new vehicle, but it's OnStar's policy, not Saturn's. He put it on the fastest rush order he could. So sometime next week the vehicle will go back for a day to get the new OnStar module installed.

I have to give kudos to the dealership though; they gave me an Astra for a courtesy vehicle, and it was an awesome little car. I've asked if I can have it again next week and they said it was no problem at all.

On the Ion, the OnStar computer was mounted on metal of the rear (parcel) shelf....so I assume it might be there too on the Aura.

You gotta take the C-pillar panels off & the side trim to get to to the shelf cover & then remove that to get access to it.....it's kind of a pain
2009 VW GTI

FRO: 2007 Ion REDLINE -- 8/06-3/08
2008 Aura XR -- 3/08-8/08
snobrdrdan is offline   Reply With Quote