Old 05-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #1
BrandonKastning
BrandonKastning will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Question 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Lower Radiator Hose

2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Lower Radiator Hose

Thank you everyone!

Procedure questions:

While I am awaiting support feedback from the men here in the L-Series Tech Forums on my Timing of Camshaft #4 I thought I would undertake my last replacement part.

I pulled out the new lower radiator hose and the Factory Service Manual and started to read the line-up of what's needed.

As soon as I read instructions 4.) "Remove upper trans-axle cooler line from radiator end tank."

I don't have to drain the coolant since I already did this prior to all the rest of repairs and upgrades.

How does one remove an upper trans-axle cooler line and not leak trans-axle oil all over and / or lose my trans-axle fluid (It's close to like $100-$200 (JUSD) [Israeli Secret Controlled USD / Private Federal Reserve Bank] I calculated to fill replacement fluids). I don't intend on draining my trans-axle fluid until I can afford a full filter change and brand new fluids. Much later in existence.

If anybody can give me a tip on this or provide me a reference piece to look at that could give me a better idea what I am up against, what I could expect and any tips to prevent difficulties (leaks/not being able to stop losing fluids) if I decide to proceed.

Thanks again everyone!

Here is the Gallery for today:

Best Regards,

~ Brandon Kastning
~ TruthSword
~ Disabled Pre-Law

WE THE PEOPLE ONLINE
http://wethepeopleonline.com
U.S. Const. Amend. I. (September 17, 1787)
U.S. Const. Amend. X. (September 17, 1787)
U.S. Const. Amend. XIII. (December 6, 1865)
U.S. Const. Amend. XIV. (July 9, 1868)
U.S. Const. Art. VI, Clause 2, 3 (September 17, 1787)
Wash. Const. Art. I, §1 (POLITICAL POWER) (November 11, 1889)
Wash. Const. Art. I, §2 (SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND) (November 11, 1889)
Wash. Const. Art. I, §3 (PERSONAL RIGHTS) (November 11, 1889)
Wash. Const. Art. I, §4 (RIGHT OF PETITION AND ASSEMBLAGE) (November 11, 1889)
Wash. Const. Art. I, §5 (FREEDOM OF SPEECH) (November 11, 1889)
Wash. Const. Art. I, §7 (INVASION OF PRIVATE AFFAIRS OR HOME PROHIBITED) (November 11, 1889)
Wash. Const. Art. I, §11 (RELIGIOUS FREEDOM) (November 11, 1889)
Wash. Const. Art. I, §14 (EXCESSIVE BAIL, FINES AND PUNISHMENTS) (November 11, 1889)
Wash. Const. Art. I, §17 (IMPRISONMENT FOR DEBT) (November 11, 1889)
Wash. Const. Art. I, §18 (MILITARY POWER, LIMITATION OF) (November 11, 1889)
Wash. Const. Art. I, §19 (FREEDOM OF ELECTIONS) (November 11, 1889)
Wash. Const. Art. I, §27 (TREASON, DEFINED, ETC.) (November 11, 1889)
Wash. Const. Art. I, §29 (CONSTITUTION MANDATORY) (November 11, 1889)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_20210522_073143.jpg (72.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2_20210522_073159.jpg (64.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 3_20210522_073219.jpg (67.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 4_20210522_073230.jpg (68.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 5_20210522_073240.jpg (61.7 KB, 1 views)
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Lower Radiator Hose

I don't recall removing the upper xmission line when replacing the lower radiator hose. (perhaps our engines aren't configured alike for each model year?) With the engine not running, xmission fluid isn't pumped so the upper line may drain from gravity, leaving little oil up there. At the least, very little oil may leak out but gravity will prevent any large amounts from draining. If you have to disconnect the line, have a napkin or thin rag available to plug the line and radiator port.

I do recall having a difficult time removing the spring clamp on the radiator hose on the engine outlet. I used whatever pliers fit. Your spring clamp tool may make removal easier.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #3
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Lower Radiator Hose

fdryer,

Perhaps you are right on this. Year variations could have factor here. I count you lucky because I was trying to figure out how or why the Transmission fluid would even be piped into the radiator.

Then I remembered that I don't have basic auto-mechanics understanding or experience other than this vehicle so far in existence.

Thank you for describing what I would/likely to be up against with the engine not running (that makes sense) and then how I can plug the hole with a rag.

Much appreciated!

Best Regards,

Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I don't recall removing the upper xmission line when replacing the lower radiator hose. (perhaps our engines aren't configured alike for each model year?) With the engine not running, xmission fluid isn't pumped so the upper line may drain from gravity, leaving little oil up there. At the least, very little oil may leak out but gravity will prevent any large amounts from draining. If you have to disconnect the line, have a napkin or thin rag available to plug the line and radiator port.

I do recall having a difficult time removing the spring clamp on the radiator hose on the engine outlet. I used whatever pliers fit. Your spring clamp tool may make removal easier.
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
Old 05-22-2021, 01:51 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Lower Radiator Hose

Automatic xmisions generate heat so maintaining oil temperatures requires pumping hot oil into a tube within the radiator for coolant to absorb heat. The xmission cooling lines simply flow into a single tube and out of radiators, returning to the xmission. This separate tube is immersed in coolant to provide an even oil temperature, not cold or hot. A fluid transfers cold or heat faster than air. Since xmission oil runs higher than engine coolant, xmission oil temperatures are maintained for optimum operation. In freezing temperatures, xmission oil needs to get up to operating temps so the cooling system provides initial heating until the xmission warms up from driving. The radiator has one or two cooling fans to ensure cooling the ac system, cooling system and xmission oil.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Lower Radiator Hose

fdryer,

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you for explaining this to me.

~ Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Automatic xmisions generate heat so maintaining oil temperatures requires pumping hot oil into a tube within the radiator for coolant to absorb heat. The xmission cooling lines simply flow into a single tube and out of radiators, returning to the xmission. This separate tube is immersed in coolant to provide an even oil temperature, not cold or hot. A fluid transfers cold or heat faster than air. Since xmission oil runs higher than engine coolant, xmission oil temperatures are maintained for optimum operation. In freezing temperatures, xmission oil needs to get up to operating temps so the cooling system provides initial heating until the xmission warms up from driving. The radiator has one or two cooling fans to ensure cooling the ac system, cooling system and xmission oil.