SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 01-04-2021, 10:51 AM   #1
Anthony.B772
Anthony.B772 is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Saturn Vue: All Cylinders Misfiring

Hey all. Having a consistent issue with my 2007 Saturn Vue where all 6 cylinders are throwing a misfire code, to throw my check engine light on.

When this started about 2 weeks ago, it was random and the check engine light was flashing, but it was still driving decent enough. I took it to the shop within the next couple days, and the mechanic told me he cleared the code, checked the spark plugs and didnt see anything that would cause the issue and gave me the car back.

The car drove fine for about 3 days, and it started to do the same thing, but was driving really rough. Took it into the same mechanic, and he told me there could be cause for concern in the fuel system, so I used a new gas station to fill up at and put some 'dry gasoline' into my gas tank. He gave me the car back and told me to keep an eye on it. That was 3 days ago.

This morning, my check engine started flashing again, after its been driving fine the last couple days. The weirdest thing is that when it started to flash this morning, after about 3 minutes of riding really rough and getting a constant flash of check engine, it stopped and was driving on the highway perfectly fine, with no lights.

Very confused on this. The 07 Vue is a 6 cylinder model. Any ideas? Thanks!
Anthony.B772 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #2
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is just really niceBruce Rock is just really niceBruce Rock is just really niceBruce Rock is just really nice

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2007 Saturn Vue: All Cylinders Misfiring

Check your owners manual. Google blinking check engine light:

When the Check Engine or Service Engine Soon light starts blinking (as opposed to staying steadily illuminated), this means that a catalytic converter-damaging condition is occurring. ... When this Check Engine or Service Engine Soon light flashes, you should pull over safely and shut the vehicle off as soon as possible.

What codes?
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
Anthony.B772

Hi Bruce. I dont have the codes sheet on me that I got read at the Autozone, but it was throwing all 6 cylinders misfire codes and also a random misfire code as well.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Generic (universal) misfire code is P0300. Specific misfire codes associated with each cylinder are P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306.

I agree with Bruce Rock. Any vehicle with a flashing engine light means unburned raw fuel is expelled into the exhaust system, directly into the catalytic converter(s). If the flashing engine light continues while riving, the catcons will burn excess fuel and reach higher operating temperatures to destroy them. This can occur in as little as 50 miles of driving with the flashing engine light. Catcons are not designed to burn fuel. One member learned this lesson the hard way in these forums when ignoring it. An expensive replacement catcon was the result.

Muffler repair shops may be one of a few places with experience in damaged catcons. After new car warranty, manufacturers care less about our vehicles whether we bring them business or not. All dealers are in business to make money whether or not they fix a problem since its our wallets that get emptied. Most will never admit to mistakes but will gladly continue replacing parts if their initial guess is wrong, at vehicle owners expense. Remember, regardless of parts replaced, hourly labor rates are applied as soon as a vehicle is pulled into a service bay. No refunds on labor rates or wrong parts.

One suggestion to this peculiar intermittent problem may be damaged or clogged catcons, difficult to diagnose sometimes. Trial and error has shown one simple test for loose catguts (catcons are made of porous ceramic substrates to allow exhaust flow thru the porous high temperature substrate to allow catalytic reaction processes). Once damaged, this substrate begins to disintegrate, fall apart and can impede exhaust flow to the point of choking the exhaust system. When loose catguts occur, this can intermittently create engine running issues with odd error codes like misfiring. This can be intermittent or progressive depending on how a catcon falls apart. The simplest test is to remove the upstream O2 sensor(s) before the catcon(s), start up and drive around the block. While the open holes allow an alternate path for exhaust (and loud), sudden improvement in engine response would point to a damaged catcon. Before a catcon test is performed, other diagnostics should be examined to rule out engine related problems.

A fuel pressure test can help to determine if pressure drops occur. No one guarantees pumps after new car warranty so they can become intermittent or fail at any time. A compression test may help to assess overall engine health. Since spark plugs were examined to reveal nothing, spark may be intermittent and difficult to prove. Your Vue uses either a pair of coil packs, three ignition coils per coil pack or six individual ignition coils. Wiring to either ign coil packs or individual ign coils may be suspect.

I'm not an expert on cars and do not work for any dealer or repair shop. As a diyer, I try to gather as much info as needed when diagnosing engine problems. I would like to assume dealers and repair shops are more experienced and apply their knowledge to sophisticated EFI systems. Unfortunately, many here seeking help do not find their dealer or repair shops honest or lacking in expertise. The few that stand out are mentioned.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:40 PM   #5
Anthony.B772

Hi FDryer. Thanks for the detailed information. I am somewhat inexperienced in automotive repair under the hood. But, the repair shop I am visiting seems to keep saying there isnt many problems and the vehicle is running fine. I want to avoid taking it back to the repair shop and be without a vehicle for an undetermined amount of time.

Are there any at-home tests/repairs that could help remedy this issue? If so, could you either explain or direct me to another forum/website that may have some at home self diagnostic tests I can run? Thanks again for all your help.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:30 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As a diyer, I stay away from dealers and repair shops. I was recommended one shop for repairs I cannot do. My brother in law owned a collision repair shop and the shop two doors away works on commercial and personal vehicles, specializing in all forms of diagnostics. I've relied on this one shop for years. Fuel pump and brake lines were the last two repairs. All other work I can perform at home.

The suggestions given are for anyone willing to try at home diagnostics and troubleshooting but does require basic skills with tools and some familiarity with car repairs. If you've never performed spark plug replacement, brake repairs, changing drive belts then you may have a steep learning curve along with scraped knuckles (comes with the territory). There are many YouTube videos from people willing to share their professional skills and experiences as well as morons taking short cuts and endangering anyone foolish enough to use their examples. No different from misinformation in politics. The extremely helpful videos are priceless as detailed information is never given away from dealers or repair shops otherwise they'd lose business educating diyers. Many professionals in auto repair share their valuable experiences and skills many do not know or cannot find in books. Along with careful teaching methods to guide anyone, repairing cars, trucks and suvs can be easier for anyone willing to spend the time to learn something new while attempting to save money. One way to save money if you don't use AutoZone or other auto stores providing free error code reading; buying your own personal reader whether its a low cost plug in reader or a Bluetooth adapter with a free or low cost program like Torque to decode basic error codes.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:40 PM   #7
jco35
jco35 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

I had the same issue a few years ago. Mechanic said it was a stuck egr. I now take it off and clean it every other oil change. Never had the issue again.
jco35 is online now   Reply With Quote