SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 09-20-2020, 11:27 PM   #1
rccomedian
rccomedian is on a distinguished road

Mad Airflow issue? Please help.

So I have a 2008 Astra which has had a code on it forever P1101. My dad who owned it says he replaced one of the sensors (least expensive one) so my guess is the MAP. I was feeling lazy so I took it to a shop and they said they found a leaking purge valve. Put in a new purge valve but still getting the code. Its also sometimes met with a P0068 code. And today after my wife drove it it also had a cylinder 3 Misfire code. We used to have misfires all the time until I changed the spark plugs. But now it's rare. Other symptoms include occasional sputtering (usually without a code) and now when the code is on it usually runs fine (before it was having a hard time accelerating) previous forum research suggests maybe I should clean the throttle body. However it was not clearly in bad shape when I looked at it. Airfilter also looks good. I'll probably clean the throttle body tomorrow just for the giggles so that leads me to a few questions.

Do I actually need to remove the full TB or can I hold it open without damaging it?

If not the throttle body any ideas on the issue?

Should I just run it into a wall?
rccomedian is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2020, 02:10 AM   #2
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Airflow issue? Please help.

i have these exact codes, never has effected the way it drives even with the codes off. The misfire could be related to the plugs again, or the coil pack. Or could be the weeping valve cover. take the coil pack out and check for the oil in the holes.

As far as i know, the only way to fix the codes is the replace the TB. I have never done it. But according to the multiple dealers, they said it would fix it. GL
'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Misfire might be from spark plugs (check service manual as replacement is 25k or 30k). If plugs are not replaced on schedule, the increasing gap tends to stress and kill the coil pack. So those are typical issues for misfire. If the plugs are new (and properly gapped) you may need a coil pack which is easy to replace.
____

You can't see the edges of the butterfly valve or the corresponding part of the TB without opening the TB 90 degrees.

We clean the TB without removing it from the car. We remove the plastic intake hose. Clean exposed area of TB with TB cleaner (carburator or brake cleaner can destroy coatings and MAF cleaner might be too gentle).

Then have someone sit in car, push and hold accelerator to the floor (engine is not running). If it is hot outside, the butterfly valve might not open FYI; I don't physically push it open to avoid breaking it or knocking it out of calibration.

Once butterfly valve is open we can access the edges and back of the butterfly valve and deeper into the TB, particularly where the butterfly valve parks, which probably are the most important.

Removing the TB could give you a better cleaning I suppose but is more work.

***Be really careful not to lose fingers as the butterfly valve is heavily "sprung".
___
To clean the MAF sensor, use only MAF sensor cleaner.

____
On my purge valve, one of the hoses was difficult to fit so it was split at the valve end and not fully seated. Check that out.
____
The valve cover gasket and the PCV flap (integrated into the valve cover) are common failure items. As FS noted, tell-tales to leaking valve cover gasket are oil on top of the sparkplugs (at ceramics) or you can see oil weeping below the valve cover, or leaks in that area. PCV issues might be seen when you remove oil dipstick or oil cap. None of these quick tests are definitive.
___
Some people had issues with the gas cap or the refill tube but I don't remember the codes there.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:12 PM   #4
Yenta Attack
Yenta Attack is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I have the same two exact codes in 2008 Astra XR. So far cleaning MAS, replacing air filter and replacing valve cover has not resolved issue. Throttle body is next.
Yenta Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
Yenta Attack

2008 Astra XR

Update for me - was suffering from P0068 & P1101. We painstakingly completed the following repairs:
  1. Replaced Air Filter
  2. Cleaned MAS
  3. Replaced Valve Cover with Engine Valve Cover Gasket & PCV Valve
  4. Cleaned Throttle Body (It was filthy)
  5. Cleaned throttle body connectors (significant corrosion)

The last two are what cleared these codes. The other three did help the car to run like new again but the throttle body was the primary culprit.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Can you detail what cleaning the throttle body connectors involved?
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:04 PM   #7
Yenta Attack

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
Can you detail what cleaning the throttle body connectors involved?
Used small wire brush with baking soda / water to clean the corrosion off the throttle body position sensor connector.