SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 02-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
Catfishgold
Catfishgold is on a distinguished road

Question 01 L300 Tranny Shifting hard

Hello,

I have a 2001 Saturn L300 v6 3.0 180k miles. It Has began Shifting hard, Showing codes p0717, p0742, p1780.

I was thinking replace the input shaft speed sensor first to see if that is the issue, unfortunately i cannot locate it. Any help is appreciated. The vehicle has new plugs about a year ago, both coil packs have been replaced. Timing job, replacing belt and tension pulley. Water pump was replaced at same time. New rear shocks and replaced on coil spring. replaced rear valve cover gasket, the oil leak killed two alternators so it had to be done lol. It is my fiance's car and the last 10k miles the car has experienced more and more issues. All repairs have been done by me or father in-law. Would really like to continue repairing what we can on our own as i do not want to dump too much money into the vehicle. We were about to replace front struts when this issue arose.
Catfishgold is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 01 L300 Tranny Shifting hard

While not expert on automatics, was xmission oil and filler ever replaced? This has no bearing on input speed sensor operation as its monitoring drive sprocket teeth to generate signals. I can imagine two scenarios for failure; iron filings attracted to the magnetic sensor and altering its ability to generate signals or sensor failure. Sensor failure can be measured for resistance, between 615-835 ohms if you can get to wiring. P0717 is input shaft speed sensor error.

P0742 is about torque converter (TCC) clutch solenoid issues. P1780 is about canbus communication error between ecm and tcm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif.jpg (44.6 KB, 5 views)
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #3
Catfishgold

She has had the car for about 6 years and it was her grandfathers before that. I can tell you that no transmission service has been done while the car has been with us so at least 6 years and around 40,000 miles of no service.

I watched a tear down video of the 4t40e and it appears the iss is inside the transmission behind the valve body. Is that correct? Also the video mentioned the possibility of iron shavings confusing the sensor.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:07 PM   #4
Catfishgold

Also I replaced the coil pack for a misfire about 2 months ago. When the codes were ran none of these new codes were there, so they have all been thrown in the last 2 months. Just for a reference in the amount of time these ses codes have been present. The symptoms of the hard shift started about a week ago.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Saturn (GM) service manuals lack details like photos, line drawings, engineering cutaways from years ago when more details made it easier for everyone to have a good idea of a part ID and where its located. The single drawing in service manuals to replace the iss appears to be inside the xmission so I chose not to include it here. Suggesting measuring resistance might help before presuming a failed part and wasting time tearing apart your xmission. Although not representative of any history from public forums, no one has reported a faulty input speed sensor in our xmissions. P0742 is another code - I don't recall it being reported here. P1780, about canbus communication does occur from time to time but its an alert more than a real condition since its more about module communications amongst themselves with a flag to announce 'Mom, Charlie isn't washing his hands again..." type of error code. Other than damaged wiring harnesses, P1780, in my opinion, may be the least of your problems.

The ecm has two siamese multiple pin connectors on the right rear of the engine plugged into the top of the 4"x4"(?) ecm. The tcm is under the passenger side windshield cowling where you can see the multi-wire harness on the firewall showing where it disappears into the corner of the plastic cowling.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to try examining wire harnesses, their connections then finding the best access to measure iss sensor resistance before presuming sensor fault where the xmission is removed/accessed for sensor replacement. Its always your choice to find the best way for repairs - diy, dealer or repair shop.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote