SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 02-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
mrmojo
mrmojo is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes Power Steering Recall

Hello all,

Just joined the forum to ask y'all about experience with the EPS recall on the Saturn Aura. During the winter of 13/14, the EPS in my 2009 Aura failed. Fortunately, it was late at night and I was driving through a fairly empty parking lot so nothing bad came of it.

When I turned the car off and back on, it seemed fine but I didn't trust driving it so I had it towed. At the repair shop, the problem was very repeatable. There was a repair bulletin in the system but no recall at the time so I paid the $900-1000 to have it fixed.

When the recall was announced a few months later I assumed that I would be reimbursed for the repairs. However, when I type my VIN into the recall website, the EPS recall does not pop up. I called the GM Recall Center and they confirmed that my 2009 Aura doesn't fall under the 2009 Aura recall for EPS.

Having worked for suppliers of the automotive industry for the past 20+ years I completely understand that not every unit of a vehicle production year uses the same exact components. However, it seems very suspicious to me that my car exhibited the exact failure described in the recall for that particular model year of that particular model and the wizards at GM have deemed that it doesn't qualify.

Has anyone else had this problem where they had the failure but somehow did not qualify for the recall? It seems quite bizarre to me but goes on the list just under my transmission that failed less than 4000 miles out of warranty. Fool me once, shame on GM. Fool me twice... well, I can only try to learn from the disillusionment.

No sour grapes here but I will say that for the first time ever I defied the rich history of GM employees in my family and bought a Mazda 6. My grandfather, who was part of the first GM sit-down strike in Flint, is probably rolling over in his grave but at my ripened old age of 45 I have finally learned to give my hard earned money to car companies that will actually give me a quality product. I can only give the highest of endorsements for the service and quality I've experienced with Mazda. Zoom Zoom!

I've owned enough GM vehicles to know that GM will bend over backwards to avoid helping a longtime customer but I'm still holding onto a glimmer of hope that somebody may have been denied this recall work and found a way to right the system.

Thank you for reading my post and much appreciation for anyone who has any insight!
mrmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
holybull
holybull is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Power Steering Recall

I was driving just today in my 2009 Aura XE when the power steering failed and a warning message came up on the dash. I turned the off, waited about 10 minutes and turned it back on and it works fine now. I called GM and there is no recall for my VIN number even though it is clearly exhibiting the problem the recall is for. I am only employed part time with now, and can't afford a $900 repair. I guess I will wait until I wreck and then sue GM if I am still alive to do it.
holybull is offline   Reply With Quote