SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 06-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #21
sparkyfl
sparkyfl is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Ticking Noise that increases as I speed up!

I am a 35 year mechanic and I dont beleive in additives. How ever after working on Bill Hills Budwiser pro comp car I know this stuff works. www (dot)reviveoil.com/Articles.asp?ID=157

It wont let me post links yet but figure it out and look there.
sparkyfl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #22
LastL4Banger
LastL4Banger is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2005 VUE 2.2L

was googling oil filters, I found this tidbit at Bobistheoilguy forum

"Wix/Napa Gold , just personal preference really. Wix filters do eliminate any cold start ticking on my dodge and jeep so I stick with them."

could the ticking noise be a function of the oil filter. On my vue, I tend to use whatever is on sale. the good news is I already have the Purolator classic for the next oil change in Sept.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...00#Post2649500
LastL4Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #23
tiger862
tiger862 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfstar View Post
With regards to oil concerns:
The 2.2L takes 5.0 qts for an oil change - the Honda 3.5L v6 only 4.5 qts.
This 4banger is easy on oil and should be just fine going by the oil change light (its not a dummy/mile light - it takes into consideration run time, rpms, etc).

My last car ('93 Mazda MX6) took 3.7 qts for a 2.0L and with 5k mile oil changes isn't dead yet at 340k miles - I'm pretty sure the 2.2 ecotec can handle a few more miles on even more oil, so I'm going with the light from now on.

If the sound doesn't change immediately after an oil change, its likely exhaust leak related as most people suggest. We'll see if mine heads down that road soon - nothing yet - and I love how quiet it runs!

All you light lovers here is my thought. Remember I have worked on cars for over 20 years. Lights are great to remind you to change oil. Auto manufacturers have tested it and claim to work. My experience is it is asking for trouble. When 2.2L come in for oil changes about 6 years ago when I was able to work on them the oil canister had sludge in it and motor was loud. Rebuilt many with less than 36000 miles on it and gm stated put new pistons only. I bought mine with 84000 with records showing changed by light and sludge was in canister. Ran synthetic and was not a fan of synthetic but needed cleaning. Quieter motor and will change old fashion way so now I am convinced. Need this to last until 200k or more. Oil is cheap and motors are expensive. Oh yes GM denied many sludge motors do to lack of oil changes and people change by light with receipts. Remember GM does not make oil but will set light to what oil is supposed to be able to handle. Oh don't forget all the moving parts with little clearance and timing chain tensioner with oil to make pressure and the vvt has internal parts that require proper clean oil to operate properly and GM now went to DEXOS because of problems with direct fuel injected engines. Make your own opinion.
tiger862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #24
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger862 View Post
All you light lovers here is my thought. Remember I have worked on cars for over 20 years. Lights are great to remind you to change oil. Auto manufacturers have tested it and claim to work. My experience is it is asking for trouble. When 2.2L come in for oil changes about 6 years ago when I was able to work on them the oil canister had sludge in it and motor was loud. Rebuilt many with less than 36000 miles on it and gm stated put new pistons only. I bought mine with 84000 with records showing changed by light and sludge was in canister. Ran synthetic and was not a fan of synthetic but needed cleaning. Quieter motor and will change old fashion way so now I am convinced. Need this to last until 200k or more. Oil is cheap and motors are expensive. Oh yes GM denied many sludge motors do to lack of oil changes and people change by light with receipts. Remember GM does not make oil but will set light to what oil is supposed to be able to handle. Oh don't forget all the moving parts with little clearance and timing chain tensioner with oil to make pressure and the vvt has internal parts that require proper clean oil to operate properly and GM now went to DEXOS because of problems with direct fuel injected engines. Make your own opinion.
My opinion is made based on six years of ownership with this motor. I have 210,000 using dino oil and following the light. Yes its burning oil, but not so much that I care to worry about it. I have to add about a half quart halfway through the 7500 mile oil change interval. After 210, its all good for me. Used Napa oil and filters from the time I bought it new, excepting maybe 3-4 changes with a quart of synthetic around the 100,000 mile mark. Mine has had 90-95 percent highway and the light averages the change interval at 7500 miles; so that's what I've done. Still running strong.
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #25
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdough View Post
My opinion is made based on six years of ownership with this motor. I have 210,000 using dino oil and following the light. Yes its burning oil, but not so much that I care to worry about it. I have to add about a half quart halfway through the 7500 mile oil change interval. After 210, its all good for me. Used Napa oil and filters from the time I bought it new, excepting maybe 3-4 changes with a quart of synthetic around the 100,000 mile mark. Mine has had 90-95 percent highway and the light averages the change interval at 7500 miles; so that's what I've done. Still running strong.
Sounds great having to just add 1/2 quart after 3750 miles! Our SKY only has 35k miles, and hasn't had to add oil between changes.

My VUE has been amazing. I can't even detect any oil use on the stick after 6-7k miles.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 14.7 beta
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #26
tiger862

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I can see where that works for your situation. 35000 a year and all highway. That is the easiest on oil. If I did that with my driving I would not get 100k out of mine since I am 90% idle in city. It would take me 1.5 years to get light to come on. I have owned mine for 2.5 years and only put 12000 miles on it. Had 84000 when I bought it and there was sludge buildup in canister for filter so now I run synthetic hoping to clean up things slowly. Oh an mine is a daily driver, I get better fuel mileage and a quieter engine so for me it is best.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/GMC-Repai...dge-damage.htm

You can do a search and see that this is not isolated. May be good for your condition but not for most.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #27
pdough
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger862 View Post
I can see where that works for your situation. 35000 a year and all highway. That is the easiest on oil. If I did that with my driving I would not get 100k out of mine since I am 90% idle in city. It would take me 1.5 years to get light to come on. I have owned mine for 2.5 years and only put 12000 miles on it. Had 84000 when I bought it and there was sludge buildup in canister for filter so now I run synthetic hoping to clean up things slowly. Oh an mine is a daily driver, I get better fuel mileage and a quieter engine so for me it is best.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/GMC-Repai...dge-damage.htm

You can do a search and see that this is not isolated. May be good for your condition but not for most.
I'm no expert, just passing my opinion of the light, based on my experience. Supposedly, the cars computer takes into account engine revs, temperature, speed etc. when calculating the change interval. This should make for a shorter change interval for city drivers. I qualified my opinions with my mileage type because I know damn well if I were driving city, I'd not have gotten this mileage based on a 7500 mile change interval. But if GM is making my light go on less often and I've gotten great mileage from following it, I'll keep posting; and while posting qualify my mileage with what type of driving I do. If we all did the same we might get a better gauge of really how accurate the light is.

Your years of experience far outweigh my 6 years of ownership. I'm just here posting my experience to show folks that maybe that light isn't so bad if you do highway. I can't post about city...
Old 07-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #28
pdough
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 2.2L

BTW, We haven't heard from the original poster in a while. Did you ever find what was causing your early morning ticking?
Old 07-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #29
tiger862

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I'm no expert, just passing my opinion of the light, based on my experience. Supposedly, the cars computer takes into account engine revs, temperature, speed etc. when calculating the change interval. This should make for a shorter change interval for city drivers. I qualified my opinions with my mileage type because I know damn well if I were driving city, I'd not have gotten this mileage based on a 7500 mile change interval. But if GM is making my light go on less often and I've gotten great mileage from following it, I'll keep posting; and while posting qualify my mileage with what type of driving I do. If we all did the same we might get a better gauge of really how accurate the light is.

Your years of experience far outweigh my 6 years of ownership. I'm just here posting my experience to show folks that maybe that light isn't so bad if you do highway. I can't post about city...
My light doesn't seem to work. I didn't reset mine after the 6 month oil change and it went another 6 months oil change then came on after 2 months. That is one year and 2 months or roughly 8000 miles. Way to long for my type of driving. Owners manual stated it is possible with right conditions for it to go over a year but change oil at one year and reset light.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #30
LastL4Banger

2004 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2005 VUE 2.2L

I very carefully drained out 1 quart and put in 1 quart of Lucas Synthetic oil treatment. It definitely helped. the knocking is less noticable. And on occasion there is no knock at start up. I'm changing the oil in a couple weeks so it was 17 dollar experiment. So I already have my purolator and quaker state hi mileage syn blend. I also bought STP oil treatment. Its a half a quart for 4 bucks.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #31
LastL4Banger

2004 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2005 VUE 2.2L

okay, STP, purolator classic and quaker state Hi mileage syn blend did not stop the knocking. It seems to be back to the normal knocking sound before the Lucas oil treatment.

the car is quieter after restarting. I previously heard the knocking to varying degrees after restarting. several times there was no knock on restarting.

I believe its a function of the oil filter not letting all the oil drain and not necessarily the engine being warm. And I did not enjoy pouring that STP molasses into my engine. Molasses on a cold day to be exact.

Next oil change, I'll use a purolator and the Lucas Synthetic oil treatment.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #32
tiger862

2006 VUE 2.2L

I would never put additives in today's oil. I run synthetic oil and change it every 6 months or 5000 miles. 20.00 for 5 qts of quakerstate ultimate durability 5w30 (Just a little extra protection). Mine rattles first start and sounds like when I change oil and first start until oil gets circulated. I checked and the 2.2L doesn't have an anti drain valve so it is dry started first thing in am. All other noises are gone after initial start up. Don't worry any more just drive it. GM stated that it is normal and would not damage motor or shorten life. Now if I run regular oil or blends it is noisy. I ran Pennzoil Platinum for several oil changes to clean out engine and that is when I noticed the difference made. Went back to regular and blends and noise came back then went synthetic and noise gone except first dry start. As of now sticking to synthetic.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:01 AM   #33
vuebooboo
vuebooboo is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes Re: Ticking Noise that increases as I speed up!

i don't know if ya'll realize the oil makes a huge difference on your engine. DO NO FORGET THE TIMING CHAIN ON 2.2L ECOTECS REQUIRE THE BEST LUBE YOU CAN GET. Is it possible the ticks could be the timing chain not being well oiled at the start up? Not to scare anyone into any unneeded work, but i had a similar ticking and was not using the best oil or oil maintenance and a yr or less after that exact similar ticking my timing chain broke, DESTROYING my engine,.
vuebooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #34
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuebooboo View Post
i don't know if ya'll realize the oil makes a huge difference on your engine. DO NO FORGET THE TIMING CHAIN ON 2.2L ECOTECS REQUIRE THE BEST LUBE YOU CAN GET. Is it possible the ticks could be the timing chain not being well oiled at the start up? Not to scare anyone into any unneeded work, but i had a similar ticking and was not using the best oil or oil maintenance and a yr or less after that exact similar ticking my timing chain broke, DESTROYING my engine,.
The timing chain issue was fixed starting with the '04 model year.

My ex had an '02 Grand Am 2.2L that also experienced a broken timing chain at 84k miles. There was no ticking beforehand, or any warning for that matter.
Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #35
mindfreak87
mindfreak87 is on a distinguished road

Its just lifter tick... not going to hurt anything just annoying.

I've had it for 40K miles on mine.
mindfreak87 is offline   Reply With Quote