saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 08-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
fromme2u
fromme2u is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default L81 3.0L Timing Belt Slipped

Hey all,

Just wanted to say thank you for all the help that this website has offered. I don't post as much as I read but this issue requires a post.

At 110K my water pump went out and I got it replaced by a CarX in Indianapolis. I was on the road and had no choice. He recommended that I do the timing belt as well but told him I couldn't afford for him to do it and asked him if the belt would get me to St. Louis where I had access to a garage, tools and mechanic help (my brother). He said it would. So I get to STL and my brother and I replace the belt with the Dayco replacement from AutoZone and haven't had any issues until now. 1 1/2 yrs later and car is now at 125K. Yesterday my wife was coming back from the community pool and she said the car started making a bad clunking sound and had no power. So I went out and started the car back up and it had a bad vibration at idle but didn's really have a clunking sound....unitl I revved the engine and then there it was, a lot of pinging and clunking but it still ran. I shut it off and let it sit for a while. I then took the car for a short drive up to the local Chinese joint for dinner and it ran fine there and back(I know, probably shouldn't have). Today I started it up to start troubleshooting and it started the pinging and clunking instantly. Dreading the worst, I dove into tearing the front of the engine apart only to find what I was worried about. The timing belt had slipped and now my timing is all jacked up. Unfortunately it started raining and I don't have a garage to work in.

My question is this, how or where should I start to try and realign the timing? I am not sure how for off it is and I know it is an interference engine but I hope the timing didn't slip to far to cause any damage internally but know the possiblilty is there. Taking it somewhere is not an option since I don't have the money to pay someone to do it. Thank you in advanced.

Chad
fromme2u is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: L81 3.0L Timing Belt Slipped

Usually when a water pump gives up, a leak would damage the timing belt. If the timing belt wasn't replaced due to costs, it may have stretched or worse, delaminate and cause timing issues that cannot be guessed at. The service manual strongly recommends replacing the timing belt if the water pump leaks as coolant drips onto the belt, contaminating it.

Search past threads for many DIY timing belt replacement including some excellent home made tools substituting for expensive tools to hold the four cams in place. There are some very smart wrenches amongst us here that have dealt with reducing the costs for timing belt replacement. Pictures included for show and tell.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
fromme2u

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I did replace the belt when I got to STL. So the current belt only has maybe 15K and a year and a half time. I didn't replace the pulleys or the tensioner and I'm thinking that might be where I went wrong. I have searched here and other places but can't seem to find a good way to go about getting the timing back in sync. Everything I have found is for just replacing the belt with the timing still in sync. My timing is out and was wondering if I should find TDC first and then the cams or vice versa. My biggest concern is internal damage. I won't find out if there is any until I get it running again. Fingers crossed.

Chad
Old 08-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Well, it's not just as easy as finding TDC then lining up the cams because moving the cam MAY result in a valve hitting the top of the piston at TDC, so you'll have to back off the crank to move the piston out of the way of the valve, move the cam to line it up with the marks, then move the crank back to TDC and start on the second cam. Repeat until all 4 cams are aligned AND the crank is at the TDC mark.
Oh yea, and as you're moving each cam the valve in cyl 1 may hit the piston so you back of the crank, then the valve in cyl 4 may hit the piston, etc, so it CAN BE a fairly long, involved dance to get everything lined up, or you can get lucky and the pistons are all in just the right place that the cams may just line up first shot.
Start with the cams.
Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #5
fromme2u

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

New timing belt kit: $240 (ContiTech TB285K2 from Advanced)
2 New ignition coils: $200 (BWD E263 & E328 from Advanced)
6 New Iridium spark plugs: $42 (Autolite XP Iridium XP3924 from AutoZone)
Tools required that I didn't have: $100 (Compression Checker, TQ Wrench, Female Torx)
Doing the work yourself, saving a ****load of money on parts and labor costs, not having any internal damage, and being able to drive the car afterwards:

PRICELESS!!!!

This was a job an a half. Did it with out locking the cam sprockets. Couldn't find the tool anywhere to buy or rent. A little bit time consuming but it can be done with a little patience. Line up marks, adjust tensioner and guide pulleys, check, adjust, recheck, etc. Did compression checks on all cylinders and all of them were up around 200psi. Does that sound right? I was the one cranking the engine and my buddy was reading the gauge but that is what he was calling out. Really liking those Iridium plugs. I went ahead and did those and the coils while I had everything apart. Coils had tears in them when I pulled them out. Probably happened while pulling them. Car runs beautifully now. Nice and quiet and seems a bit more peppier.

Thanks to all for the help on this and other matters that I have asked about. Keep those Saturns on the road people.

Chad