SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 07-23-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
doktor534510109
doktor534510109 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Attention sloppy shifter in sl2, any ideas?

i have a sl2 which i have enjoyed for quite some time now, about 2 weeks ago, one of my bushings went, so i replaced it with a rebuilt one and it drove fine for a day or two. now when i shift it is super sloppy, and it has alot of play when in gear, i checked out the other bushing and it looks fine, and when i move the shift lever while in gear it moves my linkage, so i know the problem is not inside inside my center console. if anyone has any ideas, please post, thanks.
doktor534510109 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #2
macbox
macbox will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1995 SC2
Default Re: sloppy shifter in sl2, any ideas?

Assuming this is a manual transmission, two questions:

1) When you say "one of my bushings went" do you mean the one under the console on the passenger side? (This one is well known for being a weak point.)
2) If the answer to #1 is "yes", what did you replace it with? Some replacements are better than others.

Suggestions:
1) You may want to take the center console off again, and take a look at the new shifter bushing and see if it has any play in it.
2) Also check to make sure the cables are bolted down properly, given any opportunity to flex in the wrong spot, this could potentially cause sloppy shifting.
3) The other place that shifting gets sloppy is on top of the transmission where the cables connect. The bottom cable has the larger bushing, and that bushing has some air space in it, and tends to get soft due to the bushing itself breaking down and introducing slop into the shifting system. The air spaces in this can be filled in by removing and thoroughly degreasing the bushing, and filling in the air spaces with windo-weld, weather strip adhesive, or bits of inner tube held in with weather strip adhesive.
#4, "Betty" 1995 SC2m, 167K, rebuilt engine, Garage Queen. Still squeaks and rattles but goes like hell.
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

The shifter cables themselves, may need to be replaced. If the shifter is sloppy and not moving in any gear and the bushing under the center console is fine, this may be your issue.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
doktor534510109
doktor534510109 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbox View Post
Assuming this is a manual transmission, two questions:

1) When you say "one of my bushings went" do you mean the one under the console on the passenger side? (This one is well known for being a weak point.)
2) If the answer to #1 is "yes", what did you replace it with? Some replacements are better than others.

Suggestions:
1) You may want to take the center console off again, and take a look at the new shifter bushing and see if it has any play in it.
2) Also check to make sure the cables are bolted down properly, given any opportunity to flex in the wrong spot, this could potentially cause sloppy shifting.
3) The other place that shifting gets sloppy is on top of the transmission where the cables connect. The bottom cable has the larger bushing, and that bushing has some air space in it, and tends to get soft due to the bushing itself breaking down and introducing slop into the shifting system. The air spaces in this can be filled in by removing and thoroughly degreasing the bushing, and filling in the air spaces with windo-weld, weather strip adhesive, or bits of inner tube held in with weather strip adhesive.
The bushing that i replaced was the one on the passanger side, and i took the console apart again and checked it, it is holding fine, and i checked all of the bolts holding down the cables, and they are tight. is there anything else that i can check before i remove my intake manifold, or is that my only option at this point?
doktor534510109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

welcome to saturnfans
Quote:
Originally Posted by doktor534510109 View Post
The bushing that i replaced was the one on the passanger side, and i took the console apart again and checked it, it is holding fine,
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbox
If the answer to #1 is "yes", what did you replace it with?
you haven't finished answering macbox's question. There is a reason he asked...
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote