SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 12-30-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2
Default 2001 sc2 sunroof drains

i have a 2001 sc2. where exactly are the sunroof drains & if they plug up where exactly would water appear in the car? obviously right around the roof on the headliner, but where else?
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Cortana
Cortana is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default Re: 2001 sc2 sunroof drains

The biggest problem I have with them on my 01 SC2 is that the exit plugs pop out. The drain tubes go from the sunroof into the trunk, then out the sides. There are two of them; you'll see the tubes and plugs behind two metal supports on either side of the trunk, behind the liner. This is also a good place to blow them out with a compressor, and the plugs themselves have a tendency to plug up.
Cortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Heres the location of the four drain tubes:

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
That is possibly one of the most helpful posts I have ever seen around here. Can't ask for much better than that!

If the drains get plugged, they back up and soak the headliner as noted, but I haven't heard of anywhere else.
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Eaglefixer
Eaglefixer is on a distinguished road

I've had my sunroof drain stopup. Had water in the trunk and floor behind the front seats. I only found the drain that was behind the right side of the rear seat but had to take out the right rear taillight assy and shot air through the drain hole to get it to clear. That was 3-4 years ago. Haven't had a problem since because my wife can't get to sunroof to open.
Thanks

Steve

99 SC2 3 Dr DOHC Engine
Eaglefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglefixer View Post
Haven't had a problem since because my wife can't get to sunroof to open.
That is the other issue that a lot of owners run into with the factory sunroof. If the tracks that the roof slides on aren't kept lubricated (or, sometimes even if they are), the roof will tend to bind after a time.
I love my sunroofs, but I've gone aftermarket on my current and previous Saturns to avoid those 2 problems.
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post

see where the front tubes go down the winshield pillar? well on the inside of my car right between the rubber weather stripping & winshield pillar plastic interior trim there was some water droplets on my car & it was a nice day then no rain & the car was dry. we have been having very cold days & all of a sudden it was like in the upper 60's that day. i wonder if plugged up sunroof drains could cause overflow & drip down the winshield pillar & insde the car, or maybe that was just some interior condensation from the hot & cold. i'm keeping a eye on this, but so far no water & wet spots anywhere since...
Old 01-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
richpin06
richpin06 is just really nicerichpin06 is just really nicerichpin06 is just really nicerichpin06 is just really nicerichpin06 is just really nice

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
see where the front tubes go down the winshield pillar? well on the inside of my car right between the rubber weather stripping & winshield pillar plastic interior trim there was some water droplets on my car & it was a nice day then no rain & the car was dry.
I would check the front drain valves for blockage, water could be in the drain tube.

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

well there's no water around the sunroof i checked this today. my roof always fit tight & there's no seepage between the roof panel & roof, so i wonder where this water is comming in. around the winshield? that's hard to believe seeing the cars newer & in excellent condition. is there any body seams that could lead along the winshield pillar & into the car? it diesn't seem to ce comming in between the door weatherstripping...
Old 01-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

i think i know where this water is getting in now. the black moldings on both sides of the car on the roof over each door, well i think the water is seeping under the molding above the door & around the weather stripping & into the car. maybe there's some light surface corrosion causing this under the molding. the screws are in the door jambs & the molding sort of fits under the weatherstrips & the water's probably going around the weatherstrips. they will have to be taken off, cleaned up undewrneath & re-sealed. i'll post updates to this next week when it's fixed. i wonder if anyone else here had this problem....
Old 01-04-2009, 02:07 AM   #11
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL

You are fortunatle too have a 3-door coupe. If you haven't already done so, you can take the interior plastic out, unbolt the grab handle, undo the industrial velco around the sunroof and remove the headliner from the car in 1 piece. It is a good job to do with help as the section right above your head is thin and is proned to bend.

My 01 SC2 sunroof was flooding the headliner and the trunk because the hose right above the driver's head has actually come off over time. Shortly after fixing that and replacing the sunroof motor, one of the slides broke keeping the sunroof from closing all the way.

Thankfully, one of the theads on this site introduced me to sunroofdoctor.com. I purchased the rebuild kit and a new motor and it is right as rain now. The new slider is machined aluminum versus the plastic one that has to absorb the entire moment of the suroof over each pothole. It was a good bit of work but it is finally right. It was also very strange to run into good customer service also, it seams harder and harder to find.

BTW, I zip-tied each hose to the sunroof drain when I was done to ensure it woudn't happen again.

Hope this helps.
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:24 AM   #12
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by velleguy73 View Post
You are fortunatle too have a 3-door coupe. If you haven't already done so, you can take the interior plastic out, unbolt the grab handle, undo the industrial velco around the sunroof and remove the headliner from the car in 1 piece. It is a good job to do with help as the section right above your head is thin and is proned to bend.

My 01 SC2 sunroof was flooding the headliner and the trunk because the hose right above the driver's head has actually come off over time. Shortly after fixing that and replacing the sunroof motor, one of the slides broke keeping the sunroof from closing all the way.

Thankfully, one of the theads on this site introduced me to sunroofdoctor.com. I purchased the rebuild kit and a new motor and it is right as rain now. The new slider is machined aluminum versus the plastic one that has to absorb the entire moment of the suroof over each pothole. It was a good bit of work but it is finally right. It was also very strange to run into good customer service also, it seams harder and harder to find.

BTW, I zip-tied each hose to the sunroof drain when I was done to ensure it woudn't happen again.

Hope this helps.
no my sunroof is fine. even after a hard rain it's dry around the sunroof underneath around the drain gutters. where my car's leaking i think is under those black moldings on the top of the car that go from the hood to trunk above the door. they bolt up in the upper door jambs & they tuck under the weatherstrips. i think the water's seeping under those moldings & around the weatherstrips. it's the only place possible it can be comming in...
Old 01-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #13
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

as it turned out i had the typical roof drip molding leak. ir was removed & recaulked. problem solved.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:15 AM   #14
big mo
big mo is on a distinguished road

anybody know if the glass from a 96sl2 is compatible witha 2000 sc2? how about the guts, i have a donor witha perfect setup, the sc2 makes alot of noise and the seal around the glass looks worn
big mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #15
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mo View Post
anybody know if the glass from a 96sl2 is compatible witha 2000 sc2? how about the guts, i have a donor witha perfect setup, the sc2 makes alot of noise and the seal around the glass looks worn
According to the parts book its different. Loks the same to me, but thats what the book sayd. The seal is replacable though.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:31 PM   #16
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by velleguy73 View Post

Hope this helps.
my hose on the driver's side also came off recently leaking above the headliner & down the winshield molding making me think it was totally something else leaking causing me to spend lots of money on other fixes but what i actually needed. what a nightmare. evidently this was a problem. why didn't the idiot factory use clamps on them? mine now have those same zip ties on them like yours. mine wasn't leaking really bad enough to wet the headliner & that's what threw me off. i had no idea it was the sunroof leaking. at least now i'll know what to check for the nest time i get a wierd leak in the car. these sun roofs are real pains ain't they? despite that i still like them. i like to be able to look at the sky when driving! don't ask why it's just the way it is. sometimes if i'm pulled too far forward i can still see the trafic light over the car through the roof for example...
Old 04-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #17
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

so exactly how many drains/hoses are on this car anyway? one poster says 2 & another says 4. when my car was in the dealership service bay i seen the 2 on each side of the roof & the driver's side hose was comming off making a leak, but i didn't see any others unless they are really hard to spot...
Old 04-11-2009, 12:05 AM   #18
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
so exactly how many drains/hoses are on this car anyway? one poster says 2 & another says 4. when my car was in the dealership service bay i seen the 2 on each side of the roof & the driver's side hose was comming off making a leak, but i didn't see any others unless they are really hard to spot...
The sunroof has a drain on each corner. So there are four drains/hoses.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #19
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
The sunroof has a drain on each corner. So there are four drains/hoses.
oh brother that means there's 2 more hoses that i don't have clamps on. hopefully those tend to stay on better than the one over the driver's head...
Old 04-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #20
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL

I sold my '01 SL2 that I did all of this sunroof work on to a college chick. I had installed a new motor, sunroof doctor slides, and took care of the drain hoses.

She called me and told me she hit a D-troit Uber pothole and now the sunroof won't shut all the way. I took a look at it for her and found one of the cables snapped. AAAaaaagh!!! Quite disapointing. I must have 20 hours of labor in that sunroof for the 3 times I had it part and the cables was the only thing I didn't replace.

Looking at this with fresh eyes, if I ever find myself repairing a sunroof again, I probably shoud just buy a sunroof doctor rebuilt/upgraded unit. Once you add it up, it isn't that much more expensive than the replacement parts and certainly my .

Glad you got your drains zipped up.
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote