SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 10-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to all

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Valve seals on DOHC

Has anyone tried one of the methods of replacing the valve seals on the DOHC without removing the chain cover? I've seen pictures of attempts at suspending the sprockets with 1x4's, etc to hold them in place. I'd be interesting in hearing first hand accounts of these attempts.

-Robert
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to all

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Valve seals on DOHC

Hmm, I wonder if this would be useful...

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-3097-lisle-36880.aspx

Here is a video of it in action, although its hard to tell if there is enough clearance in front of the sprocket to try this in a Saturn with the cover on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyMeUsBZcoQ

-Robert
Old 10-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Redhotftw!
Advanced Member
Redhotftw! will become famous soon enough

the people that build those little rigs to hold the sprockets do that to swap cams.

the FSM has the head off of the car to replace the valve seals.
1998 "Red Hot" Sc2
Redhotftw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhotftw! View Post
the people that build those little rigs to hold the sprockets do that to swap cams.

the FSM has the head off of the car to replace the valve seals.
I understand that this is not the typical use of the tool. My question is if this would work; not if this is the typical use.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Rob,
That tool will do nothing for you. You need the valve keeper removal tool and a seal remover. The seal remover is about $20.00 and the keeper tool is $50.00. You have to support the sprockets in position, rotation is not an issue.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Rob,
That tool will do nothing for you. You need the valve keeper removal tool and a seal remover. The seal remover is about $20.00 and the keeper tool is $50.00. You have to support the sprockets in position, rotation is not an issue.
So, to your knowledge is there any tool available that will suspend the sprockets for this job?

-Robert
Old 10-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes. There is a genuine Saturn tool for the job. And, better yet, if you use advanced search in S-Series and search for "valve seals" there is a thread with pictures of how to build your own tool. If you happen to have solid sprockets it will be a bit of a PITA but it can be done. You do the 2 pistons at TDC and then reattach cams, rotate 1/2 turn and clamp and remove cams and replace the other 2 cylinders worth of seals. You will also have to punch the guts out of a spark plug so you can hold the valves up. You also have to clamp the crank as the air pressure can roll the engine.

Lisle makes a tool to remove and replace the keepers. Lisle 36050 Valve Keeper Remover and Installer Kit.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

If this is a job to control oil consumption I would also think about the oil rings since they typically get frozen from the lack of drainback holes. Ask me how I know this....
97 SW2 5-Sp 372k
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It is orders of magnitude easier to change out the valve seals as compared to the rings. The rings will fail if the cylinders are not round, no taper, and within tolerance. When you think rings just go ahead and figure it will be a rebuild.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #10
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
It is orders of magnitude easier to change out the valve seals as compared to the rings. The rings will fail if the cylinders are not round, no taper, and within tolerance. When you think rings just go ahead and figure it will be a rebuild.
I may well get there. I'm burning at a crazy rate now. About a quart every 400 miles. I don't see smoke at startup and I've not noticed oil on the piston heads looking down the spark hole in the morning. But I'm going to give it a try. I'm not leaking anything because my beautiful garage floor is dry.

However, if I do get there I"m very much considering to it "wrong" and just do a ring job on it. I've only got 155K miles on it and compressions are strong and the engine is very strong (I just drove up the Sierras a couple weeks ago and had lots of power climbing at freeway speeds). Just to make it less proper; I'm also considering doing it in the car simply because I've got too many projects on my plate to make it a long project. I might see if I can get someone to drill the pistons but I've considered just buying new pistons and assuming they will have the proper hole already in them. Anyway, not there yet but I'm betting that's where I'll end up.

-Robert
Old 10-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
So, to your knowledge is there any tool available that will suspend the sprockets for this job?

-Robert
Here's the orricial Saturn tool:

Here's what we made:

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Here's the orricial Saturn tool:
Interesting. Looking at the GM repair pictures, your tool looks more like the GM tool than the original.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 42383787.gif (9.7 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-27-2022, 03:20 PM   #13
DEugene
DEugene will become famous soon enoughDEugene will become famous soon enough

I know it's been some time....but where and what is that Official Saturn Cam Holder and where do I find it?
DEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:36 PM   #14
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

I will likely have to be DIY fabrication.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:07 PM   #15
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1995 SW2

I have had success with using a 2x4 and some C-Clamps.

1994 Sl2 5spd: First Car, Stock: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1994 Sl1 5spd: Inherited, Stock: 494,500
1995 Sl2 5spd: Retired Daily, Not Stock: 196,000
1995 SW2 4spd: Daily, Stock: 104,000
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote