SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 11-25-2021, 11:58 AM   #6901
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

And the video - Saturn at the end if you want to skip forward.
https://youtu.be/WQXUIY0gJz8
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2021, 11:55 PM   #6902
boomerB5
boomerB5 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
2005 RELAY-2
Wrench Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Today I (mostly) finished up (at last) replacement of the engine cradle/subframe on my 1999 Sl1. Twenty Minnesota winters can take a toll on exposed steel. Maybe it would have survived one more winter? But the front end would not hold alignment, so she was eating up tires.

Found and followed guides from the forum. So much great info has been shared...I'm indebted to those who have shared. Got a new subframe off ebay, sanded it, and sprayed it down with rustoleum. Replaced the lower control arms (had to buy new bolts from Menards). New tie rod ends. Found and patched a leak in the downpipe (at the bend before the cat). Now to get a couple new tires and an alignment.

Good times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driver_lca_2.jpg (144.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg lca_2.jpg (135.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg tire.jpg (147.0 KB, 13 views)
1999 Metallic Blackberry SL1 -- 167,xxx miles

2005 Rust Relay -- 278,xxx miles
boomerB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:04 PM   #6903
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1

Mine wasn't quite "today", but I had to take my car in for a blown rear brake line. I'd do the lines myself, but I'm working so much right now because of lazy peons not going out to get a job that I just don't have the time... and it's getting coooold out there.

Caused by a sudden emergency stop on the way to work when some a-hole crossed the double yellow in a left turn to make his left, all the while honking his horn at me as if I was the one doing something illegal. I finished work and limped the car home with the e-brake because nothing would be open on the weekend. Ironically, this was the exact same spot that caused my truck to blow a line the year before. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same person too.

I could tell it was the crossover line to the rear passenger side, but while I had it in I told them to check out the rear driver too because I had a notion it looked about the same, they agreed.

They replaced both lines and I now have less spongy brakes then before. Those two lines must have been flexing hard big time before it finally blew. They also said the front lines looked pretty good, so I should be ok.

Will be looking at giving the pads and rotors an overhaul next summer, but for now it'll get me through the winter when I'm not driving the truck some days.
Check out my current SL1!

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268456
cujoe_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #6904
El_bell
El_bell is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Shaved down the sun visor clips to be a flat piece of plastic. A while back I added a map light that came with s-series that had sunroofs for some more convenient lighting than just the dome light. It pushed my headliner down just enough though that the sun visor clips don’t quite line up with the sun visors anymore. The do kind of clip in, but only barely and it feels like it’s gonna breaks the sun visor every time I do. With a little dremeling and some sandpaper, I got them to looking almost like it never even had a hook to begin with. I could have just left the clips off, but they do help hold up the headliner board, and they have a cutout hole behind them that doesn’t look too great exposed imo.
El_bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:02 PM   #6905
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_bell View Post
Shaved down the sun visor clips to be a flat piece of plastic. A while back I added a map light that came with s-series that had sunroofs for some more convenient lighting than just the dome light. It pushed my headliner down just enough though that the sun visor clips donít quite line up with the sun visors anymore. The do kind of clip in, but only barely and it feels like itís gonna breaks the sun visor every time I do. With a little dremeling and some sandpaper, I got them to looking almost like it never even had a hook to begin with. I could have just left the clips off, but they do help hold up the headliner board, and they have a cutout hole behind them that doesnít look too great exposed imo.
You have me curious about the dome light, do you have pics?

Also, what does shaving the hooks down do exactly?
Check out my current SL1!

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268456
cujoe_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:30 PM   #6906
El_bell

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujoe_da_man View Post
You have me curious about the dome light, do you have pics?

Also, what does shaving the hooks down do exactly?
The map light was a pretty easy install. Just required cutting a hole in the headliner board and running 2 wires down the A-pillar. It’s not perfect though due to sunroof headliner boards having a hump between the sun visors to hold the controls and the electric motor. There is just barely enough space to squeeze the map light in a non sunroof board. It does angle the light a little more into your eyes than straight down but that hasn’t been a huge issue for me.

I shaved the hooks since I wasn’t using them anymore anyway ever since the map light went in. It pushed the board down a little, causing the hooks to get pushed out by maybe a 1/4 of an inch. It’s just enough that it doesn’t really line up with the sun visor anymore. The sun visor holds itself in place pretty well without them, and it’s way easier to switch positions with no clip to line up with. I could have just ignored the clip like I have been for a while now, but no clip means better fitment when closed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA474998-270C-4587-91D7-C1909F45586A.jpg (115.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 69375AA4-2562-4C4F-85CD-683BEF44B208.jpg (89.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by El_bell; 11-29-2021 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:30 PM   #6907
ultravioletnk
ultravioletnk is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
2000 SC2
Default new tires uwu

got my brand new gt altimax rt43 tires mounted and balanced on my lovely bae phoebe. mmh now i just need to get the alignment sorted! (i just painted these oem steelies up for the new tires too!)

rings-1996 sl2 ~215k mi
phoebe-1995 sl1 ~250k mi
janus-2000 sohc2 ~190k mi
tethys-1994 sw2 ~302k mi
rip mimas-wrecked 1996 sw1-trailer
pandora-1999 sc2
dione-1998 sw2
iapetus-1997 sw2
ultravioletnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:02 PM   #6908
Bob243
Bob243 is on a distinguished road

1991 SL1
1995 SL2

When I did my cradle in the 91 and replaced the radiator I just refilled with distilled water because I didn't have any green (glycol) coolant. Today I drained and refilled with 70/30 mix.

I also acquired a 2002 SC2 from my sister. Looks like it may need a head gasket. Also breaks are down to the rotors.. I am not sure what is going to become of this one yet..
Bob243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:23 PM   #6909
El_bell

1997 SL2

Had a spare DRL relay lying around so I decided to turn it into a DRL-less relay. The relay can just be pulled to disable them without getting a service light (I think) but you do loose the right high beam. All it took is sniping pin 86 on the relay, and now I can drive around with just parking lights on while still being able to use both high beams. Have the unmodified relay in the glovebox incase I want to switch back.

Having no DRLs also makes testing how the fog lights look with just the parking lights on without having the running lights getting in the way.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:53 PM   #6910
El_bell

1997 SL2

Swapped a wire with my volt meter and temperature display relay so it will now come on with the key turned to ACC. Previously, it would only come on in RUN with the other electronics I’ve added. I think it’s a little more practical this way since I can now use the radio without the car running and still be able to monitor the volts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6EF8576F-1004-4369-88A9-04A93C2C0DE0.jpg (88.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-27-2021, 03:20 PM   #6911
El_bell

1997 SL2

Bought a roll of rubber door edge guards, not for the doors, but to put on the front edge of my hood. I originally wanted something to keep the 3G headlamps from rattling at idle, but it also helps clean up some rock chips in the paint. A while back I modified a pair 3G headlamp brackets to fit on a 2G for better visibility at night. The 3G lights do fit, but are a little narrower, and slightly taller than 2G headlamps. Unsure yet if the rubber strip will help prevent the headlamps from rattling, but I at least think it looks pretty good on the car. They unfortunately don't fit out plastic molded door cars, so I put what I had left on the radiator support and the trunk lid. Does a nice job cleaning up the rough radiator support edge, and it will probably help keep the trunk panel from rattling too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (154.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (108.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (132.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (159.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by El_bell; 12-27-2021 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:59 AM   #6912
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Replaced a rear strut mount. https://imgur.com/a/EXVrdjG
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote