SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 11-02-2021, 06:42 PM   #1
ianh
ianh has a spectacular aura aboutianh has a spectacular aura aboutianh has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Dashcam Power Setup

Hi! I'm working on setting up a dashcam in my 97 SL2. While figuring out how to set up the camera (Vantrue T2), I stumbled on this thread (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206233) where it's mentioned that the cigarette lighter in the S series isn't good for constant loads like phone chargers and dashcams. After a decent bit of searching I'm still left with lingering questions.

The camera that I bought supports being powered via OBD-II. As I understand it (see https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/a/52217/25328), the OBD-II spec requires that that port be able to provide plenty more power than the dashcam would draw. On the other hand, this car was made pretty recently after the OBD-II spec was standardized, so it may just not be compliant in that regard. Given that the cigarette lighter plug can't handle a steady power draw, does anyone know if the OBD-II port actually can? I haven't managed to find any relevant info in the FSM yet, but it's probably in there somewhere.

The searching I've done on the forums shows that for charging electronics generally, the proper fix is to not use the cigarette lighter and instead run a direct line to the battery. Despite searching, I haven't been able to find a guide on how to do this though. Does anyone know of a writeup on this somewhere?

Thanks again for all the helpful info!
ianh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2021, 12:29 AM   #2
ianh
ianh has a spectacular aura aboutianh has a spectacular aura aboutianh has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: Dashcam Power Setup

Okay! I managed to track down the relevant circuit diagram in the FSM. In my hard-copy of the 97 service manual it's page 50-1 in the electrical section (with the pins mapped out on 202-28). These pages cover how the "Data Link Connector" is wired, i.e. the OBD-II port. Pin 16 of the is the power pin and it goes to battery positive with .35 mm^2 wire. Pin 4 goes to ground with the same gauge of wire. I haven't figured out how to get an allowed amp rating out of this yet, but it's progress.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:53 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Before going to far into reusing the stock wiring, look up the F5 fuse box issue.

Far better to use a key-switched source to activate a relay and put the device's true power load on a new wire to the battery. You could oversize this wire a little bit as well and tie it into the cig lighter to attempt to prevent future issue's with using it as a charge port rather than a cig lighter.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
ianh

1997 SL2

Thanks, yah, I'm trying to make sense of how to do that right now. Messing with a car's electrical system is outside of what I've done before. It would definitely be nice to be able to use the cigarette lighter for charging.
Old 11-06-2021, 09:10 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

have you found adventureoflink's How To thread? I think the pictures are gone but the text was helpful. The advanced search might help you find it.

edit:

The how to thread (in the How To Library)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174747

general discussion that lead to the How To being made
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173890

Not sure if there is anything in this thread not covered by the others, but I like to read everything I can before getting started on new projects
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174707
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 11-06-2021 at 09:16 AM.
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:44 AM   #6
ianh

1997 SL2

Thanks! I hadn't been able to find that thread yet. That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for and for some reason I hadn't been able to cobble the right search terms together to find it.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:21 PM   #7
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

In my car, I used the power supply to the electric windows to power my GPS.

That circuit it designed to supply much more power (4 windows moving at the same time) than the GPS will ever draw. Thus there's little chance of overdrawing the circuit and creating a problem.

I made this modification 4 years ago by hooking a 2nd cigarette lighter/power-port socket into it at the inside fuse box. This new socket turns on and off with the key. And I just tucked the socket behind and below the console with the GPS plugged into it and rubber banded together so the plug and socket wouldn't vibrate apart.

Of course, because of the propensity of these Saturns to burn wiring connections, I sure wouldn't draw too much power from this 2nd socket. Limit it to small current draws, like your dash cam.

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:55 AM   #8
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Here's a thread that I created that has the accessory power add in that I used to install seat heaters. Take a look at post 8 which has some decent photos and step by step instructions.
Link >>>> Seat heater install with pictures....
1999 SL2 MT (299,400 km @ 11/2021)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 11-22-2021 at 09:06 AM.
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:42 PM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
Here's a thread that I created that has the accessory power add in that I used to install seat heaters. Take a look at post 8 which has some decent photos and step by step instructions.
Link >>>> Seat heater install with pictures....
Nice pics! I put a link to your thread in adventureoflink's post in the How To Library, so that if anyone links to either thread, there is a link to the other
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:19 PM   #10
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

I have a basic Rexing dashcam that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I couldn't find a specification on the dashcam current use, so I used a milliamp meter to measure it. With the display turned on, it only draws 288 ma (0.288 amps). The cigar lighter is fused for 20 amps. I plug the dashcam in when I want it recording and unplug it when I don't. I often leave it powered while the car is parked in a public parking lot for an hour or two. I haven't had any problems with it.
96 SW2 5MT
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:40 AM   #11
ianh

1997 SL2

Thanks for the additional replies! I've been plugging it in only while the car is running and it's working fine for now. A camera is such a small draw that it's unlikely to make much of a difference. Things have gotten hectic for the moment, but I still want to try running the wire to the battery for the cigarette lighter some time soon. Thanks for the pictures!