SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 05-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
BrandonKastning
BrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Wrench 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Seafoam in crankcase housing?

I have successfully ripped apart my L300's engine. I had a couple of mistakes like accidentally getting some pink looking coolant (hose leak) when I pulled hoses off the throttle body into what I believe is the timing belt cover. However in the hole is a oil build up. It wasn't all that much; however I did my best to dry it up quickly. (Just couldn't dry inside the hole).

After removing the crankcase housing I was spraying GUNK and I believe I got a "stream" shot into the crankcase housing hole. (Where I also see white looking oil sludge) -- from my understanding based on google searches is due to my car sitting so long.

My main question for this thread is:

Is this the location where Seafoam says I should put it in my crankcase housing? It seems like it's the same spot. I want to verify this prior to pouring seafoam in before I clean it up and put O2 Sensor safe RTV gasket on the new crankcase housing unit I am replacing the old one with.

Second question is; Should I be attempting to try and get the white oil sludge out of the canals in the crankcase housing entrance to the internal engine or is that all taken care of with Seafoam and a warm / hot engine?

I did a really good job labeling everything; I am confident of a good "put it back together"!

Thanks everyone! Hope everyone had an awesome weekend!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_cropped_20200503_193840.jpg (225.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2_cropped_20200503_193943.jpg (218.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 3_cropped_20200503_194002.jpg (98.0 KB, 9 views)
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2020, 12:13 PM   #2
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member
Rj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really nice

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Seafoam in crankcase housing?

Sea Form is safe to put in gas tank. It's an internal cleaner, not a topical cleaner. The hoses with coolant are the beginning of the two hard lines that route up and over the rear valve cover gasket and held by a bolt to the PCV module and then to the engine. The hoses are to regulate temp of the throttle body. I wouldn't spray anything in those water jacket hoses. Gunk is for outside engine and not internal... so steer clear of contaminating your oil with gunk. Only use carb cleaner in the throttle body and make sure it is safe for plastics type or it can eat your sensors. Not all carb cleaners are safe to spray on plastic. Another words, don't buy cheap carb spray and even then try not to flood the engine with chemicals... some are explosive.

Eventually, you will figure out the valve cover gaskets are leaking and need to be changed.
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member
Rj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really nice

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are those photos of the pcv module removed from your car of the junk yard car?

If the junk yard, you might be luckly because it looks like new RTV under the PCV and the attacked hose looked rather new as well (from a previous photo). Before you reinstall the PCV... you must remove all that old RTV to bare metal before re-RTV-ing and bolting it together.

You definitely don't want to spray any gunk in those holes... gunk will destroy the oil in your engine! Don't drop or spray anything down inside the engine... ever.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Sludge or creamy white/yellow buildup results from the engine not being driven 10+ miles, warming oil to boil out overnight condensation. As you know, moisture is always around as humidity except in dry states like Nevada and surrounding states with local weather having very low humidity. Since humid air is ingested, moisture turns to steam and most leave thru the exhaust system as white steam on cold engine startups. Steam dissipates as the engine warms up while oil heats up to boil out condensation. Driving less than 10 miles a day may not heat up engine oil to boil out moisture resulting in oil foaming to coat the interior of the engine and all passages related to crankcase ventilation. Many using their vehicles for local short trips discover a yellow creamy sludge under the oil cap. Short trip driving without the engine reaching and remaining at operating temperatures to help evaporate overnight condensation settling as oil cools down contributes to building up oil sludge. Seafoam is basically a solvent that may help dissolve sludge and help carry it out thru combustion - the large fog created when added to fuel or dribbled into the throttle as the engine runs. Cleaning sludge may be as easy as simply letting the engine idle 30 minutes or more if not driving or as mentioned above, driving more than 10 miles. Hot engine oil boils out moisture. Sustained driving (>10 miles per day) ensures sludge doesn't build up.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #5
BrandonKastning
BrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Dizzy Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Seafoam in crankcase housing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj 2000 LS2 View Post
Sea Form is safe to put in gas tank. It's an internal cleaner, not a topical cleaner. The hoses with coolant are the beginning of the two hard lines that route up and over the rear valve cover gasket and held by a bolt to the PCV module and then to the engine. The hoses are to regulate temp of the throttle body. I wouldn't spray anything in those water jacket hoses. Gunk is for outside engine and not internal... so steer clear of contaminating your oil with gunk. Only use carb cleaner in the throttle body and make sure it is safe for plastics type or it can eat your sensors. Not all carb cleaners are safe to spray on plastic. Another words, don't buy cheap carb spray and even then try not to flood the engine with chemicals... some are explosive.

Eventually, you will figure out the valve cover gaskets are leaking and need to be changed.
Regarding the valve cover gaskets are leaking; I hope for my sake you're wrong!
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
Old 05-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Are those photos of the pcv module removed from your car of the junk yard car?

If the junk yard, you might be luckly because it looks like new RTV under the PCV and the attacked hose looked rather new as well (from a previous photo). Before you reinstall the PCV... you must remove all that old RTV to bare metal before re-RTV-ing and bolting it together.

You definitely don't want to spray any gunk in those holes... gunk will destroy the oil in your engine! Don't drop or spray anything down inside the engine... ever.
These photos are my car; not the junkyard one.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #7
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Seafoam in crankcase housing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Sludge or creamy white/yellow buildup results from the engine not being driven 10+ miles, warming oil to boil out overnight condensation. As you know, moisture is always around as humidity except in dry states like Nevada and surrounding states with local weather having very low humidity. Since humid air is ingested, moisture turns to steam and most leave thru the exhaust system as white steam on cold engine startups. Steam dissipates as the engine warms up while oil heats up to boil out condensation. Driving less than 10 miles a day may not heat up engine oil to boil out moisture resulting in oil foaming to coat the interior of the engine and all passages related to crankcase ventilation. Many using their vehicles for local short trips discover a yellow creamy sludge under the oil cap. Short trip driving without the engine reaching and remaining at operating temperatures to help evaporate overnight condensation settling as oil cools down contributes to building up oil sludge. Seafoam is basically a solvent that may help dissolve sludge and help carry it out thru combustion - the large fog created when added to fuel or dribbled into the throttle as the engine runs. Cleaning sludge may be as easy as simply letting the engine idle 30 minutes or more if not driving or as mentioned above, driving more than 10 miles. Hot engine oil boils out moisture. Sustained driving (>10 miles per day) ensures sludge doesn't build up.
fdryer,

Great information! The 10 miles + to ensure a non-sludge engine. I am guessing it's safe bet then to pour half a bottle down that crankshaft entrance for the best interest of a nice deep engine cleaning.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
lrbraner
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonKastning View Post
fdryer,

Great information! The 10 miles + to ensure a non-sludge engine. I am guessing it's safe bet then to pour half a bottle down that crankshaft entrance for the best interest of a nice deep engine cleaning.
I believe if you read the directions on the can it states when adding to the crankcase use 1oz per quart of oil.
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:24 PM   #9
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbraner View Post
I believe if you read the directions on the can it states when adding to the crankcase use 1oz per quart of oil.
lbraner,

10-4; received!
Old 05-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #10
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Brandon, I have specified numerous times the oil found in the wells of the sparks tell me the valve cover gaskets are bad and leaking. You soaked the oil up using paper towels. There were pictures of you doing this and you also confirmed prior that was oil in the spark plug wells.

Also, I hope you are talking about seafoam in the oil and not Gunk! Gunk will break down the oil the same as dumping dishwashing soap into your engine. It will make bubbles until it stops running from lack of lubrication. Gunk is for external cleaning only.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
.....Great information! The 10 miles + to ensure a non-sludge engine. I am guessing it's safe bet then to pour half a bottle down that crankshaft entrance for the best interest of a nice deep engine cleaning.
You may not have to use Seafoam at all since you didn't mention driving this car since starting several threads or idling more than 30+ minutes. Short idling periods, zero long drives may have created this sludge and all that's needed to get rid of it is simply driving the car for an hour. Your choice to add a solvent like Seafoam or not. Motor oil already washes the internals just fine and doesn't retain moisture when heated up to operating temperatures and remains there for at least 15 minutes or more........... as long as one long drive per week is done. Every member seeing sludge under their oil cap are short trip drivers, using their car for local errands, hardly warming their engine up. Once informed, they felt better and never reported back of buildup afterwards. Modifying their driving habits to drive their car once a week on an hour long drive to nowhere or scheduling a shopping trip for a longer drive kills two birds with one stone.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #12
lrbraner
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
fdryer,

Brandon; you should not have high expectations for adding Seafoam to the crankcase to clean out sludge.
My experience has been that it does very little to eliminate built up sludge.
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #13
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Mad Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Seafoam in crankcase housing?

Quote:
Brandon, I have specified numerous times the oil found in the wells of the sparks tell me the valve cover gaskets are bad and leaking. You soaked the oil up using paper towels. There were pictures of you doing this and you also confirmed prior that was oil in the spark plug wells.

Also, I hope you are talking about seafoam in the oil and not Gunk! Gunk will break down the oil the same as dumping dishwashing soap into your engine. It will make bubbles until it stops running from lack of lubrication. Gunk is for external cleaning only.
I didn't mean to; but yes, I accidently shot some of the Gunk down into the crankshaft hole I think. I don't know how much. I didn't mean to. Tell me there is hope.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:29 PM   #14
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
You may not have to use Seafoam at all since you didn't mention driving this car since starting several threads or idling more than 30+ minutes. Short idling periods, zero long drives may have created this sludge and all that's needed to get rid of it is simply driving the car for an hour. Your choice to add a solvent like Seafoam or not. Motor oil already washes the internals just fine and doesn't retain moisture when heated up to operating temperatures and remains there for at least 15 minutes or more........... as long as one long drive per week is done. Every member seeing sludge under their oil cap are short trip drivers, using their car for local errands, hardly warming their engine up. Once informed, they felt better and never reported back of buildup afterwards. Modifying their driving habits to drive their car once a week on an hour long drive to nowhere or scheduling a shopping trip for a longer drive kills two birds with one stone.
fdryer,

That's good to know about other members not reporting back after finding out. Maintenance drives! I like it!

How do I know how much oil is in the crankshaft? The can acts as if I know... Does it mean how much in the entire engine or just in that area?
Old 05-04-2020, 06:30 PM   #15
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbraner View Post
Brandon; you should not have high expectations for adding Seafoam to the crankcase to clean out sludge.
My experience has been that it does very little to eliminate built up sludge.
lbraner,

Also good to know! I have been having high expectations regarding Seafoam.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:43 PM   #16
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
How do I know how much oil is in the crankshaft? The can acts as if I know... Does it mean how much in the entire engine or just in that area?
Forgive me, BrandonKastning, but your questions above concern me because they make clear what you're unfamiliar with regarding fundamental things about an engine. So I worry that you may inadvertently cause some damage to your engine along the way as you're working with it in this partially torn down state. Be very, very careful with everything you do here and take nothing for granted. Read and re-read the manuals!

Among other things, you will need a torque ratchet, or torque wrench (the ratchet is simpler to use), to tighten all of the bolts which have been removed. A torque ratchet can be rented from Advance or O'Reilly's very easily. You must neither over tighten nor under tighten any bolts, especially with regard to the engine block and heads. If you really have removed the cylinder heads then you need new head gaskets. Additionally, you may need to replace certain bolts which are NOT designed to be reused following their removal. Any bolt described as TORQUE TO YIELD is to be replaced according to the factory.

Your questions above are related and I suspect you're actually referring to the engine block. The oil level is verified as it always is, when in the car, by using the dipstick. It shows the level of oil in the oil pan - or sump, if you prefer. So do a normal check of the engine oil and add to it accordingly if the tube and dipstick haven't been removed. As a point of information, after an engine has been rebuilt it is shipped fully assembled but empty of oil. Refilling the engine oil is done by the installer.

BTW, what does this mean: "The can acts as if I know"...?
359K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:06 PM   #17
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
fdryer,

That's good to know about other members not reporting back after finding out. Maintenance drives! I like it!

Brandon, you must know the engine holds 5 quarts of oil.

It appears you have the PCV module removed. Have you inspected this component to determine if the reed valve is defective? And/or is the hose inlets completely plugged up?
Old 05-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #18
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Brandon, you must know the engine holds 5 quarts of oil.

It appears you have the PCV module removed. Have you inspected this component to determine if the reed valve is defective? And/or is the hose inlets completely plugged up?
Rj,

The main hose is also sealed to the unit. It's unlike the other one that I pulled from the Junkyard. Everything seems pretty darn plugged up. I replaced one of the main hoses and the other one seems in very good shape (the crankshaft) hose (the larger one).
Old 05-05-2020, 06:50 PM   #19
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Forgive me, BrandonKastning, but your questions above concern me because they make clear what you're unfamiliar with regarding fundamental things about an engine. So I worry that you may inadvertently cause some damage to your engine along the way as you're working with it in this partially torn down state. Be very, very careful with everything you do here and take nothing for granted. Read and re-read the manuals!

Among other things, you will need a torque ratchet, or torque wrench (the ratchet is simpler to use), to tighten all of the bolts which have been removed. A torque ratchet can be rented from Advance or O'Reilly's very easily. You must neither over tighten nor under tighten any bolts, especially with regard to the engine block and heads. If you really have removed the cylinder heads then you need new head gaskets. Additionally, you may need to replace certain bolts which are NOT designed to be reused following their removal. Any bolt described as TORQUE TO YIELD is to be replaced according to the factory.

Your questions above are related and I suspect you're actually referring to the engine block. The oil level is verified as it always is, when in the car, by using the dipstick. It shows the level of oil in the oil pan - or sump, if you prefer. So do a normal check of the engine oil and add to it accordingly if the tube and dipstick haven't been removed. As a point of information, after an engine has been rebuilt it is shipped fully assembled but empty of oil. Refilling the engine oil is done by the installer.

BTW, what does this mean: "The can acts as if I know"...?
pierrot,

To put simply; thank you for that very useful information!
Old 05-05-2020, 08:02 PM   #20
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Rj,

The main hose is also sealed to the unit. It's unlike the other one that I pulled from the Junkyard. Everything seems pretty darn plugged up. I replaced one of the main hoses and the other one seems in very good shape (the crankshaft) hose (the larger one).
Hoses stick in place, just take a good size channel locks and twist the hose on the connector. Don't break the connection, just twist the hose on the connector and it will loosen up and easily come off.