SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 07-28-2021, 12:38 AM   #1
Kristianl
Kristianl is on a distinguished road

Default Help I miss my key fobs

Hi, this is my first time posting but I am stuck and need a little help I have an 06 Saturn vue itís been awesome. Sadly my key fobís have stoped working and no mater what I do I canít seem to get them working again. 1st I went to a good family mechanic who we trust with all of the family cars and he tells me that no mater what he did he could not get the car to accept a new key fob so I went to the place I bought the car from several years prior and they told me the name and number of the guy who Programer they spare fob that came with the car when I bought it( when I originally bought the car it had the factory fob and an aftermarket one the factory on was terrible and barely worked compared to the aftermarket one so I stoped using the factory one and lost it when we moved) anyway I took the car to the guy who Programer it before and he tells me the same thing he canít get the car to accept the fob even thought it is the same fob he Programer before and then he tells me that the BCM could be bad causing the problem but I donít know if I really trust this guy and I feel like if the BCM was bad more then just the key fob would stop working anyway thatís where I am at if anyone has any ideas or solutions would love to here them
Kristianl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2021, 08:42 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Help I miss my key fobs

There are two ways of programming Saturn Vue remotes. Refer to your owner's manual for at least one method. If no owner's manual, try online search for GM owner's manual. The second method is more involved and requires GMs scantool.

The first method of remotes being programmed only involves working remotes that may lose all its functions before or after battery replacement. Resyncing is the more appropriate term to restore a remote by simply being near the car and simultaneously pressing Lock & Unlock buttons until hearing/seeing door locks cycle then releasing buttons. This is only to resync existing remotes, not replacements. Replacements require scantool programming.

GMs scantool, licensed locksmiths with GMs or aftermarket scantool clone to program new remotes via connection to the OBDII port under the steering column. Any remote, from another Vue/other Saturns or possibly other GM models matching the FCC ID number or new ones are programmed by using the scantool to command the body control module (BCM) to 'listen' for remote commands to allow up to four remotes programmed for one vehicle.

I have a GM clone and programmed two new inexpensive remotes to my L300. I bought this scantool clone originally to decode a higher numbered P code related to xmission issues that wasn't read by a regular reader. I also saw other errors that weren't issues but messages related to battery disconnect and other miscellaneous issues that doesn't affect the engine or xmission. This clone allows much more access to every electronics module used in GM.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:00 AM   #3
Kristianl
Kristianl is on a distinguished road

I have attempted multiple times trying to re sync the one I got when I bought the car but it never cycles the locks or horn, like it is supposed to and I will look into getting the nano, thanks for that suggestion. but I would assume that the scan tool the shop has would be able to speak with with my BCM to assign a new fob if not the guy who Programer it before had one of the nicer ones that can speak with multiple different vehicles.
Kristianl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:20 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Long before buying a reader or scantool, I bought GM service manuals for my car. My owner's manual and service manual describes pressing Lock and Unlock buttons to synch a remote. This works when I tried it, door locks cycle to let me know a remote works to communicate to the bcm. The service manuals describes using GMs scantool to program remotes but I had no desire to buy GMs scantool ($$$$$).

Some auto parts stores have a counter display allowing free testing of remotes by holding remotes near the sign and pressing the remote button(s). A light on the sign turning on indicates the remote is transmitting a signal. I don't know how effective these store tests are but it may be worth a try to see in your remotes are working or dead. Before trying this test, it would be wise to open your remotes, remove the battery and clean the contacts of debris. A pencil eraser can remove corrosion as well as alcohol wipes on the case covers, edges, circuit board and buttons. The rubber membrane has a form of carbon black to make electrical contact on the circuit board brass lands. When two or more circuit contacts are connected from pressing a button on circuit lands, a signal is generated and transmitted. Close to your vehicle, the signal is received by the bcm to act on the command. Examine the circuit board for damage, severe corrosion, broken connections. There are many YouTube videos to review too that can be very helpful.

I too would presume repair shops should have scantools that should be capable of working on many vehicle brands but sceptical. Asking first for assurance often helps and if a shop is honest, will tell you if they can program remotes or not. Unfortunately, unscrupulous shops take advantage of customers and may not perform tasks expected of them and agreed to until discovered later. For remotes, either they're programmed or not and presenting new ones for a specific vehicle would eliminate a remote from failure when either a scantool isn't available or a shop simply won't t reveal their inability to perform programming of some remotes that requires a specific scantool, factory or aftermarket.

I was sceptical of my scantool at first as it needs a pc or laptop running WIN7 or better. I had difficulty uploading the program as it failed several times until I thought about the program's comm symbols indicating which parts of the program wasn't working. It was painstaking for me to work thru the kinks even with tech support emails. Finally things were sorted out and everything went into my car for the first scanning. The menus are a little cryptic so I just plunged ahead as backing out is just a pushbutton away from going into the wrong area. Once familiar with selections, it became easier to find what I wanted, checking for DTCs, diagnostic trouble codes. To my surprise, several were stored that were never decoded from my generic reader, due to those codes being manufacturer specific and not generic for most readers. Abs, airbags, OnStar, higher engine codes cannot be read from regular readers but this aftermarket GM clone did and displayed them. All but one were miscellaneous errors. The single repeated error is for an occasional xmission pressure control valve that acts up with a wrench indicator in the instrument panel - shifts would be harsh until I stopped and let the engine/xmission cool of for 10-20 minutes. This would reset on startup for normal shifting for the rest of the drive. Once this aftermarket revealed more info than my generic reader, I began to explore it slowly to learn more about it. I ordered inexpensive spare remotes and successfully programmed them with this scantool. No different if I went to GM and paid ridiculously higher fees. Two remotes for less than $15 and a $100 scantool that does more than program remotes. The last test I tried with this scantool was the lamp test, turning on the instrument panel lights, indicators and gauges to check for dead lamps, leds or gauges. GMs original scantool dealers use were priced in the thousands. My aftermarket scantool was worth the cost to have access to all the electronics, not only for Saturns but for most of GMs brands. I don't expect 100% from it but it hasn't disappointed me yet to maintain my L300. I haven't tried it on my nephews '09 Cadillac CTS-V yet so I'm looking forward to it if he asks me. It decodes generic and manufacturers specific codes and has the ability to test many things most generic readers cannot do.
VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 07-29-2021 at 12:26 PM.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:15 PM   #5
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

1. Close doors.
2. Insert key, do not turn.
3. Press and hold door lock switch in the unlock position on the door).
4. Switch ignition on, off, on, off.
5. Release door lock switch.
6. Doors should lock and unlock one time to confirm programming mode. (If this does not happen just continue to step 7)
7. Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons of the first remote transmitter for 15 seconds.
8. Doors should lock and unlock to confirm programming of the first remote transmitter.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 for all remaining transmitters.
10. Switch ignition ON to exit programming mode. (Didnít do this, I just pulled out the key)
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:45 PM   #6
rustcity
rustcity has a spectacular aura aboutrustcity has a spectacular aura about

To program the key for the ignition, insert the key and turn on for 10 min 30 sec, then off; w/i the next 45 sec, turn on for 10 min 30 sec, wait 45 sec, then repeat this sequence 1 more time, then turn key off and then back on. (these instructions from /www.programautokeys.com/classified/2009-saturn-vue-ignition-transponder-chip-key-programming-instructions-listing-10938.aspx )

Note: This procedure worked on a new generic key / fob for a 2009 VUE Hybrid.
rustcity is offline   Reply With Quote