SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line

Old 04-13-2021, 04:51 PM   #1
IONic_2004
IONic_2004 has a spectacular aura aboutIONic_2004 has a spectacular aura aboutIONic_2004 has a spectacular aura about

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default AWD prop shaft problem

What's up everyone?

I'm in need of some guidance. I have my 04 Redline with a bad AWD prop shaft carrier bearing. I talked to a few in a FB group and they all suggest a Shaft masters replacement. I called and got the pricing and for a vehicle with over 200k I cannot justify that price for the upgraded drive shaft. All I want is a stock replacement to get the vehicle by and keep using the AWD that I wanna keep

I was looking at a stock shaft from GLH on Amazon and for 395 doesn't sound that bad if that will truly work for my car.

Has anyone used this?
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
2004 Saturn Vue Redline
2002 Saturn SC1
2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer
1980 Ford Pinto Prostreet
IONic_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2021, 09:39 AM   #2
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: AWD prop shaft problem

Do you have any chassis rust issues on a 200k Michigan vue? I assume you are asking about quality/performance issues on a stock driveshaft? Like a $30 Chinese wheel bearing vs a $300 timken? I replaced my carrier bearing and it started to whine in 6 months. So I sold vue. I just got a mint looking shaft from junkyard for $20. For my equinox. Almost identical. Nox vs vue.. It looks rebuilt, new u-joints and bearing. I don’t know if it has $75 bearing or $20 Chinese bearing. Aren’t they all made in China?
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:12 AM   #3
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, I HIGHLY RECCOMEND THE SHAFTMASTERS DRIVESHAFT IF YOU PLAN ON KEEPING IT. VERY BEEFY COMPARED TO THE NECKED DOWN STOCK ONE. ALSO HAS A SLIP JOINT ON THE END ,COMPARED TO THE STOCK CV END. IT HAS SPICER U JOINTS ALSO. DORMAN ALSO MAKES A SHAFT ALSO. DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THAT ONE, HOPE THAT HELPS, DC.
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:33 AM   #4
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

Is your driveshaft removed? Can it be rebuilt?
You had a pinto? I had a few. 71 with German 2.0 had headers, slot mags. Friend had a 75 Capri with 2.8 v6. Got a Corvair from him and we put a 327 in backseat. Fun car. Had great handling. I bet ur pinto was straight line fun only?
Old 05-07-2021, 04:44 PM   #5
IONic_2004
IONic_2004 has a spectacular aura aboutIONic_2004 has a spectacular aura aboutIONic_2004 has a spectacular aura about

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vue6 View Post
...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, I HIGHLY RECCOMEND THE SHAFTMASTERS DRIVESHAFT IF YOU PLAN ON KEEPING IT. VERY BEEFY COMPARED TO THE NECKED DOWN STOCK ONE. ALSO HAS A SLIP JOINT ON THE END ,COMPARED TO THE STOCK CV END. IT HAS SPICER U JOINTS ALSO. DORMAN ALSO MAKES A SHAFT ALSO. DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THAT ONE, HOPE THAT HELPS, DC.
I called on pricing and for the amount I couldn't justify the purchase since I'm not aware of this Vues future.

I'm also dealing with a major problem with this Vue, that being the body control module being heat warped so I experience no starts, gauges dying, random shut offs, and PassLock issues.

For the time being I just went with a stock replacement since according to my research most people just scrap the vehicle since I have not seen a solution to this problem that was actually common failure on these

When/if I get that figured out and I know she's gonna be on the road for many more years I will upgrade to the Shaftmasters replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
Is your driveshaft removed? Can it be rebuilt?
You had a pinto? I had a few. 71 with German 2.0 had headers, slot mags. Friend had a 75 Capri with 2.8 v6. Got a Corvair from him and we put a 327 in backseat. Fun car. Had great handling. I bet ur pinto was straight line fun only?
It was removed. I got the replacement back in. I could have rebuilt it but the cost of separating the U joints and dealing with the rust would have cost the same as the replacement. Most just replace it because they don't have the tools to press out that u-joints themselves.

Yeah the Pinto is really fun not your standard Pinto either lol

302 V8 that's been bored over. Belonged to my late father. Keeping his legacy alive 😁
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210204-093007.jpg (32.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_20210204-092948.png (141.2 KB, 2 views)
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
2004 Saturn Vue Redline
2002 Saturn SC1
Old 05-07-2021, 09:04 PM   #6
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Coulda just left it out and driven around without it.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:22 AM   #7
IONic_2004

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Coulda just left it out and driven around without it.
Yes that is correct, however AWD function is very important to me and I wanted to keep it going especially since I will be using this for winter in Michigan
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
2004 Saturn Vue Redline
2002 Saturn SC1
Old 05-08-2021, 11:17 AM   #8
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

I’ve been waiting for temps to hit 70f+ before I put my replacement driveshaft in. Borrow a car lift for 1 hr? I wish.
I never drive my wife’s awd torrent. I’m not even sure if awd works.