SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 04-07-2021, 06:48 PM   #1
Rmsevastra
Rmsevastra is a jewel in the roughRmsevastra is a jewel in the roughRmsevastra is a jewel in the rough

Default Crank, no start, no codes

Hello Everyone
I just bought a 2005 Saturn Vue. I had it for 2 days seemed to drive just fine. Stoped at the grocery store and left my son in the car, he locked the doors from. The inside using the automatic locks. I bought two 2016 batteries to replace one single 2032 battery for the key fob or the remote keyless entry fob. I came back out to the car, my son opened the door for me from the inside, again using the button on the passenger side of the vehicle, I sat in the driver seat put my key in the ignition changed out the batteries on the fob hit lock then hit unlock. I then turned my key to get a crank no start. I'm under the impression that this is not a security issue as there is no security light on my on my Dash and it cranks but I see alotbof talk about security relearn procedures. I can hear the fuel pump Prime and I've tried starting fluid in the intake. I've also replaceed the crankshaft position sensor. Still cranks won't turn over. Still no codes from 2 different scan tools. Please help.
Rmsevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Crank, no start, no codes

*My guess is the vast majority of remotes use one CR2032 lithium battery. Each battery is a 3v cell. I'm not sure of your descriptions. Did you fit two batteries into a spot for one? This suggests doubling the voltage that may or may not harm the remote and/or create comm problems to the body control module. Two batteries doubling the voltage may confuse the bcm with unknown results.

*Did you review your owner's manual for info? For Saturns, after replacing a remote battery, resyncing procedures instruct pressing both Lock and Unlock buttons at the same time near the car and wait for the door locks to cycle to verify resyncing.

*When pressing lock or unlock, you didn't declare whether or not seeing and hearing door locks operating. Please be as descriptive as possible since no one is next to you and detailed descriptions are the only way to convey what's occurring for anyone on public message boards to imagine what you're doing.

You are correct as using remotes cycles door locks and enables/disables the yellow security symbol. During normal startup, security should cycle on then off along with all the other indicators, leaving oil/battery/seat belt light on. With security off/disabled, Passlock allows injectors to operate. Security enabled and starting results in the engine never firing up since a flashing security indicator means Passlock disabled injectors. You can crank the engine all day until either the starter burns out or battery dies as the engine will not run with disabled injectors/security light flashing.

Sometimes, more often in winter, starting may not occur (engine cranks but doesn't fire up) due to other issues resulting in flooding the engine with excessive fuel. If this occurred, the simplest restart is to hold throttle wide open during restart. This tells the ecm during starting to halt injector operation while allowing more air to dilute the flooded engine as it expels excess fuel into the exhaust system. One or several restarts with pedal to the floor should result in a sputtering startup. Upon starting, release the pedal for a normal warm-up.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:51 AM   #3
Rmsevastra
Rmsevastra is a jewel in the roughRmsevastra is a jewel in the roughRmsevastra is a jewel in the rough

Hi there,
Thanks for the response, I have tried the resync procedure and the fi fob is synced. I replaceD the crankshaft position sensor and the ignition control module. Still to no avail. When I pressed the buttons yes the locks workes then and they work now still. I tried holding the pedal and clutch down trying to start the car in case I flooded the engine which I'm sure I did. No go yet.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:44 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ok, let's move on. Spraying starting fluid with the engine not firing up suggests an ignition issue. Some suggestions to simplify diagnosing and troubleshooting this crank no start problem with security not flashing during starting. Check for blown fuses.

Air, fuel and spark are the key ingredients for engine running. Presuming air isn't choked from a thoroughly clogged air filter or electric throttle body isn't dead leaves fuel and spark as suspect. Replacing the crank sensor (presuming the new one is seated correctly into the engine) eliminates it from killing the ecm. Every engine computer for EFI requires and depends on its crank sensor since the sensor generates a precise timing signal (clock) that allows the engine computer to run. No timing signals from a crank sensor effectively kills the computer. A recent attempt to replace a crank sensor on a Nissan Sentra failed until it was found not completely seated into the engine hole - less than a 1/8 inch space was found between the sensor flange and engine surface preventing it from operating. Fully seated, the engine roared to life. The joke; it took three people to fix this; one person to find out where the sensor is located on the engine, a second person removing it and replacing it (not realizing it wasn't seated all the way in), and a third person to determine the sensor wasn't seated to figure out why the new sensor didn't allow the engine to run. The sensor wasn't easy to remove or replace and difficult to access.

Two fuel checks are needed. Turn on ignition then locate the fuel test valve on the fuel rail, cover loosely with a rag while depressing the valve stem, expecting fuel to spray out under pressure. This verifies fuel pump operation and pressure to injectors but doesn't verify injector operation. Remove one or several spark plugs and examine them for fuel. After several starting attempts they should be wet, wreaking of fuel. Fuel on plugs verifies injector operation. No fuel on plugs suggests either a blown injector fuse, damaged wiring or ecm issue.

A spark test requires removing the ignition coil pack with integrated ignition control module, removing spark plugs then reassembling them together with wiring connected, plug bases wired to engine ground and laid out on the engine. Remove either the fuel pump fuse or pump relay to prevent fuel injection during a spark test. Have someone crank the engine while you observe for spark across plugs.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

My kids 3.0 has an occasional no start at gas station. Hot motor. It would not start 18 mo ago at work and it ended up being crank sensor. I have a new one on shelf too. She says the gas station issue is back again. After a few minutes it starts. Prior to this, it would stall on entrance ramp. I never saw issue and she does not like to discuss tech stuff. I don’t know if stalling and gas station issues are related. She had oil light flicker and pressure sensor was leaking. I changed that and flicker is gone. Was 1 month ago?
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:57 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
My kids 3.0 has an occasional no start at gas station. Hot motor. It would not start 18 mo ago at work and it ended up being crank sensor. I have a new one on shelf too. She says the gas station issue is back again. After a few minutes it starts. Prior to this, it would stall on entrance ramp. I never saw issue and she does not like to discuss tech stuff. I donít know if stalling and gas station issues are related. She had oil light flicker and pressure sensor was leaking. I changed that and flicker is gone. Was 1 month ago?
Gas station no starts can be caused by over filling the tank and getting liquid fuel into the evap system. Cured by putting the fill nozzle all the way in and not topping the tank when the nozzle shuts off.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:19 PM   #7
Rmsevastra

Update:
Problem solved after pulling the spark plugs and seeing they were bone dry. Fuel injectors were not working due to a bad ignition control module blowing the injector fuse. Thank you everyone who took the time to assist me. Your time and help is genuinely appreciated.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #8
LolaAnnGram
LolaAnnGram will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L

I had to disengage locks as, despite having 2 keys and FOB, I was locked out of car. I believe I read somewhere there is an issue with Saturn keys. The guy who sold me his 2006 Saturn Vue some years ago provided me with 6 keys! I now have it so back hatch NEVER locks and rest of locks I do manually when locking the car. I can't even use the FOB anymore but could of been battery issue. I don't trust it enough and the fact there is only one outside lock of 4 doors is unbelievable but I STILL ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY SATURN!
LolaAnnGram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #9
LolaAnnGram
LolaAnnGram will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L

Oh and the previous owner warned me about keys not working in ignition sometimes and to try reinstalling key into ignition the opposite side and move steering wheel. I don't even notice the issue anymore as I'm so used to messing with keys/steering wheel. The mechanic may have fixed the problem when I had major repair done...I don't know but please research key issue with saturn and u will see there was some sort of issue despite no recall.
LolaAnnGram is offline   Reply With Quote