SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance

Old 01-20-2003, 09:37 AM   #1
SL2Master
SL2Master is on a distinguished road

Default Stealth faceplate idea

Yes so recently I have been subject to theft.. ******* stole my deck.. but not my 350 dollar mp3 player which was attached by audio cable.. ********* so anyway.. I was thinking about putting a stealth face on my aftermarket stereo when i get a new one..

My idea is as follows..

As normal I would install the aftermarket head unit using a dash install kit, either with pocket or without.. ( there are 3 models to choose from for a 95 SL2 ).

Now the faceplate of course comes off; however, after searching around it is very easy to buy a faceplate for a head unit with out one.. so what's stopping a thief from stealing it?

So in order to disguise my deck without going to a Kameleon ( which is dumb since if the thief knows what a kameleon looks liek face backwards.. well common sense from there ) I decided why not rip the face off of my Stock head unit.

I take this now Gutted face with glued in place volume, fader, and balance knobs ( they are not actually attached to the face, rather the deck ) and somehow place it over the new installed aftermarket head unit and dash kit.

Anyone who walks by looks in or anything sees complete stock head unit assembly.. Or do they? =)

As for mounting the stock face I wouldnt want something that is always covering : using a spring loaded hing to flap it up which would allow easy pull down.. this is for the reason that holding down a spring loaded flap while trying to load a cd into a deck which has a flip down face.. would be disaster.

So to mount this I think I am going to attempt to maybe jam or clip the face over the aftermarket head?

this Idea is ofcourse very difficult to plan without an aftermarket head already installed...

If anyone has done something like this or done this at all Drop me a line and give me some tips.. also if anyone would like me to keep this updated as my progress furthers.. drop me a line and i will post updates to this board.. '

Thanks!

Profanity removed from original post by Administrator. Please to not bypass the word filter.

Last edited by Charlie; 01-25-2003 at 11:38 AM.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2003, 01:39 PM   #2
LawMan
LawMan is on a distinguished road

I see you are into this, and sounds like a neat idea, but stupid question, why not get a removable face plate?

Work Smarter-Not Harder,
LawMan
Old 01-20-2003, 04:53 PM   #3
RustyJCNC
Advanced Member
RustyJCNC is on a distinguished road

That seems like a whole lot of work for no good reason. I know here in wilmington, thieves will take JUST the headunit faceplate and leave the stereo behind.

Now, this I will never fully understand. Maybe they're just playing catchup for other units they stole without faceplates.

If I were you....I'd just get an aftermarket headunit with a removable faceplate...and bring it inside where ever you go. There is never really a 100% way to protect yourself from a thief.

-j
Old 01-20-2003, 06:47 PM   #4
ProDarwin
Master Member
ProDarwin is on a distinguished road

Here is what you do: put a piece of chiken wire in front of it that folds up. Wire it to a switch,relay, and a 60,000 volt tv capacitor. Connect the capacitor to the alternator so it charges when the car is on. Flip the switch (hidden) when you turn off your car, and when they go to touch the chiken wire, they are in for one hell of a shock.

I know someone who did this, but grounded the capacitor to the car body, so if someone tried to mess with the car while it was sitting, they would be sent on their ass.
-Travis
Old 01-20-2003, 07:10 PM   #5
RustyJCNC
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ProDarwin
Here is what you do: put a piece of chiken wire in front of it that folds up. Wire it to a switch,relay, and a 60,000 volt tv capacitor. Connect the capacitor to the alternator so it charges when the car is on. Flip the switch (hidden) when you turn off your car, and when they go to touch the chiken wire, they are in for one hell of a shock.

I know someone who did this, but grounded the capacitor to the car body, so if someone tried to mess with the car while it was sitting, they would be sent on their ass.
That is awsome. I have never heard of anyone doing this before...but it should be quality enough to go in car audio mag.

nice.

-j
Old 01-20-2003, 09:50 PM   #6
SL2Master
SL2Master is on a distinguished road

No I would have a removable face but this stock is to prevent the slightest thought of having anything ni the car such as.. Subs or Amps.. which too are something worth stealing.. ( that i also have )
Old 01-21-2003, 03:39 PM   #7
brentg
brentg is on a distinguished road

this is a good idea. i did it in my old car.

only one thing...there cant be ANYTHING else showing. cd case, tweeters, even window tint will draw the evil eve.

worst thing is to have that blinking alarm led out where it says "Hey! There is expensive stuff in here!!"

If a thief wants what you have, he will get it. Period. doesnt matter if you have a alarm, removable face, shocker, etc... heck they will steal your alarm! Thats what they did to a friends car in broad daylight in a large college parking lot. took everything except back deck speakers.

take your faceplate, park in a known area, and cross fingers..
Old 01-22-2003, 09:39 AM   #8
Tatusmi
Advanced Member
Tatusmi is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

haha the tv shocker is a great idea.... combine that with this flamethrower alarm I saw and you're set... I wish I had pics of it... when you try and open the car door with this thing armed it warns you... if you don't back off it literally throws up a 10-ft wall of flame.... you're bbq'd instantly!

- Tatusmi
Old 01-22-2003, 02:25 PM   #9
alkemyst
alkemyst is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by ProDarwin

not good advice at all. This will get you sued and the thief will win.

Do not ever booby trap a car, although it's what the dude deserves, it will get you in way more trouble than him. In some states you can still be guilty of assault for beating up someone in your car....this falls under vigilante laws which are very very harsh and enforced.

Many of these neat boobytraps shown in mags are on cars outside the US
Old 01-22-2003, 02:30 PM   #10
swoker183
swoker183 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

yeah, that sucks, you cant get away with anything now a days. and you can get sued for just about anything and the person suing willl most likely win too.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:07 PM   #11
RustyJCNC
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alkemyst
not good advice at all. This will get you sued and the thief will win.
True that, but I have got to give it to the idea itself. Its one of those look but never do kinda things.

I know a guy in town who shot his own roof with a shotgun while thieves were entering his residence. He claims he was just trying to scare the guys away...and I believe him. He was later charged with discharging a firearm in the city limits.

The thieves were never caught. I don't know if the charges were dismissed in court....but I really do hope so.

Just goes to show how backwards the justice system can be sometimes.

-j
Old 01-23-2003, 09:37 AM   #12
alkemyst
alkemyst is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by RustyJCNC
Just goes to show how backwards the justice system can be sometimes.

-j
And just how much *******s someone in power (cops) can be.

I am sooooo glad I had an affair with a married cop's wife when I was younger...that was the main reason I did it.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:33 AM   #13
RustyJCNC
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alkemyst
And just how much *******s someone in power (cops) can be.

I am sooooo glad I had an affair with a married cop's wife when I was younger...that was the main reason I did it.
Not all cops should be viewed as bad. However, this popular idea that the ego trip rides in about 90% of them is definitley true.

Nevertheless, justice system needs some serious re-vamping.

-j
Old 01-25-2003, 11:36 AM   #14
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Stealth faceplate idea

Quote:
Originally posted by SL2Master
If anyone has done something like this or done this at all Drop me a line and give me some tips.. also if anyone would like me to keep this updated as my progress furthers.. drop me a line and i will post updates to this board..
You should check with your auto insurance company about the theft of the stereo equipment. This is probably covered by your policy.