saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Default comfortable lower seats.... ?

I was looking on the forums about finding a racing seat and discovered that corbeau actually makes a bracket for our cars and the Forza seat fits well.

This has grabbed my attention because I just do not have the head room clearance I need w/ the stock seat. I have a sunroof and when I go to the work in the morning my head rubs on the ceiling. It's quite annoying and has forced me to sit awkwardly for a 45 min drive to work. (which now is causing frequent visits to the chiropractor)

The Forza seat looks like it can sit an inch lower but it really doesn't look all that comfortable. Can anyone vouch for it? I know most probably use it for racing purposes and keeping you from sliding around. I'll be using it for 45 min drives to and from work almost every day.
-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.
sps SOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2
Default Re: comfortable lower seats.... ?

The Corbeau brackets will cause the aftermarket seat to sit higher than stock.

You must have a tall torso, becaue I'm 6'-4" and the top of my head is a couple inches from the headliner in my 1996 SC2 (no sunroof) and doesnt rub on my 1991 SC (with sunroof).

When I had the Corbeau seats with the Corbeau brackets in my 1993 SL2, it raised the seating position up considerably. I ended up welding factory seat brackets to the Corbeau seat frames.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
The Corbeau brackets will cause the aftermarket seat to sit higher than stock.

You must have a tall torso, becaue I'm 6'-4" and the top of my head is a couple inches from the headliner in my 1996 SC2 (no sunroof) and doesnt rub on my 1991 SC (with sunroof).

When I had the Corbeau seats with the Corbeau brackets in my 1993 SL2, it raised the seating position up considerably. I ended up welding factory seat brackets to the Corbeau seat frames.

I'm about 6" but I don't really like my seat reclined very much. In the afternoon I have about an inch or two of clearance but in the morning I'm rubbing.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I saw on a saturn sight about removing the raising seat feature from those corbeau frames and that made it a few inches lower.

I like the looks of the Corbeau A4 seat. It's slightly less wide than the forza but 3" taller. Anybody have the forza seat w/ the modified brackets? How much room is there?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #5
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Wrench Re: comfortable lower seats.... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps SOHC View Post
The Forza seat looks like it can sit an inch lower but it really doesn't look all that comfortable. Can anyone vouch for it? I know most probably use it for racing purposes and keeping you from sliding around. I'll be using it for 45 min drives to and from work almost every day.
the Corbeau Forza is awesome and comfy cozy once you get used to climbing in and out of it. I had one in my 96 SC2 and drove 3 hours to an open track event, did 2 hours of track time, then drove 3 hours home. It's better than the squishy OE seat in the 96 SC2. the 92 SC front seats were better. you may need to modify the bracket to mount the Forza in the lowest position so you'll have more head room and sit lower.

http://evilplastic.com/92mod4.htm#seatbrackets
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

I think part of the issue here is the reclining thing. Both my wife & I had to "relearn" how to sit in our Saturns after previous cars. You have to learn how to sit back & relax and somewhat of a recline. Once you get used to it, it's actually very comfortable - I've gone on 12 hour road trips in my SC2, and we drove from Indiana to Idaho over about 5 days in our SC1. You do have to relax your back and let it be comfortable, though.
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
93SC2'in
93SC2'in is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

yeah i don't really think the stock seats are that bad and i'm a pretty big guy 6"1 close to 300 and i don't have any problems..

like purdue said you kinda just gotta relax in the seat lean your head back against the rest and drive

but then again alot of people have complaints about these seats.

the ion redlines had Corbeau seats i have heard of a few people putting them in an s-series
93 SC2, 5-speed, <dead and gone>
95 SL2 5-speed, oem header, gsi TB, sprint 2.0, kyb gr2's, wb02, SAFCII, CAI, 17"s
---------------
Speed Kills - save lives, Drive a honda
93SC2'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
I think part of the issue here is the reclining thing. Both my wife & I had to "relearn" how to sit in our Saturns after previous cars. You have to learn how to sit back & relax and somewhat of a recline. Once you get used to it, it's actually very comfortable - I've gone on 12 hour road trips in my SC2, and we drove from Indiana to Idaho over about 5 days in our SC1. You do have to relax your back and let it be comfortable, though.
Let me explain because perhaps it's just my headrest that's messed up. If I'm reclined a little bit and my head rest is to the maximum point forward, I'll be looking down my nose and cheeks just to see in front of me (maybe it's just me but that makes me want to fall asleep). The best position for me to be in and see fine AND relax my neck is fairly vertical. And in that vertical position, my head tends to rub the ceiling.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

You can fit in there at all with the seat back vertical? Hmmm. My torso must be from a 6'5+ guy then, 'cause anything but leaned back don' work. I'm only 5'10, maybe 5'11.

Does the lower adjustment knob help at all? I find it doesn't do much, but it's better then no adjustment.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
You can fit in there at all with the seat back vertical? Hmmm. My torso must be from a 6'5+ guy then, 'cause anything but leaned back don' work. I'm only 5'10, maybe 5'11.

Does the lower adjustment knob help at all? I find it doesn't do much, but it's better then no adjustment.
haha... well it's not TOTALLY vertical.. that's just. Impossible?

The lower adjustment knob is as far down as it can go. I also forgot to mention that these aren't the seats that came w/ the car. They are from another SC2. I don't know what year but it was 96 or older.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #11
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93SC2'in View Post
the ion redlines had Corbeau seats i have heard of a few people putting them in an s-series
the ION Red Line had RECARO sport front seats.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #12
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Don't want to hijack but just wondering... At 6'2" (and shrinking) my problem isn't with head room but leg room getting in and out. Even with the seat all the way back my knees hit the column. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a simple solution?
1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote