Old 07-31-2008, 06:15 PM   #21
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default Re: Anything else to do?

Quote:
Quote:
S-AFC stands for Super AirFlow Converter.
Is that like a 12 v supercharger?
Nope, that is actually what S-AFC stands for.

Bilstien makes great stuff, many consider them the best mass produced damper maker out there. If you are not wanting to mess with the car than I say spend the money up front and get the uprated suspension.

If you are going to screw with the car it may be cheaper in the long run to just go with the stock baseline suspension. Most likely the "stock" Bilstiens are matched with a Subaru performance spring. In that case you'd need to either change stuts of have them revalved if you decided to stray too far off the stock spring rate.

I like the new hatches. I think the STI looks epic. The Legacy GT (much like the spec B) is a amazing car though. BMW-esque interior, plenty of power. A turbo and flash away from making STI power. It is a very adult looking car. I'd rock on daily. That 3 way decision (WRX,STI,Lego GT) is hard though.

I'd probably be looking at those options too, but I'm just too in love with this.

It is an 89 with 50K miles a spare set of wheels and has only been in the rain twice. Going to check it out this weekend. Man, I hope he is willing to ask for a reasonalbe amount.
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2008, 06:27 PM   #22
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

oh so sexy... what is it though... what motor. I agree the Sti is a grown ups toy to the fullest. It says I have some money, I love my cars, but I'm too classy for a fart can....or my saturn ... the stock wrx suspension I'm sure is outstanding stock. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. After the warranty is over I thought about a front mount and borla exhaust with a water meth kit and flash it. But I don't know its faster than most stock cars. I dont plan to abuse it. I feel like I just want a naturally fast car. But the borla is a must.. oh the sound is so sexy. But i can just get a test pipe and do that.

Thanks cloud --ODG
check your pm
Saturnless...
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:34 PM   #23
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

nice pit BTW. I have one that stays at my parents house... no pits at the apartment... the rules ... that and my beagel is racist to pits. And sadly he can actually whoop my pits ass. Damn little hunting blood. He doesn't have problems with big dogs like that. He is a little firecracker. Although it is funny when I take him to the dog park and a shepard tries to big boy him and he rocks that thing. He goes for the cheek and then just starts shakin his head. my little shark. lol. He's relaxed tho. He learned that little move from a little corgy that rocked him one day for humpin her. rofl. I try not to condone aggressive behavior but if a dog is humping him or growl at him I'm gonna let it go.
Saturnless...
Old 07-31-2008, 06:57 PM   #24
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDaGround View Post
oh so sexy... what is it though... what motor. I agree the Sti is a grown ups toy to the fullest. It says I have some money, I love my cars, but I'm too classy for a fart can....or my saturn ... the stock wrx suspension I'm sure is outstanding stock. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. After the warranty is over I thought about a front mount and borla exhaust with a water meth kit and flash it. But I don't know its faster than most stock cars. I dont plan to abuse it. I feel like I just want a naturally fast car. But the borla is a must.. oh the sound is so sexy. But i can just get a test pipe and do that.

Thanks cloud --ODG
check your pm
The engine is a 2.2 liter Lotus built and designed DOHC non-intercooled turbo. It is an 89 so it runs a Delco Injection system. The output is somewhere around 220HP and the thing will do about 150, 0-60 in the 6's probably. It isn't fast for a supercar, but It is sexy and second to few in the handling dept. I've driven an 88, but it was a carbed car. t was a lot of fun, but I'd much prefer to get an injected one. Esprits are awesome, you can pick them up for change, but they do run a bit to maintain.

I think you misread me. The Lego is a true grownups toy. STIs are a bit boy racer. I love them both though.

I own a Subarru. Well, half of one. It is a 93 2.2 liter Lego. I bought it with a friend for $75 to make a Rallycross car out of it. So far we have about 500 into it and it is a fun crapmobile. We're thinking about doing a JDM STi swap into it, somtime since the engines are super cheap. But soon we will be boosting the 2.2 until it pops. We just need to finish out or homebrew turbo kit. Subies are fun because the parts swap accrossed really neatly. Right now ours runs on 2.5RS Eibach springs and struts, WRX rear bar and 2.5 RS front dual piston calipers. We are rocking pullyard wheels and Fusion HRI tires. Waiting to go on is a Forester XT exhaust, SRT-4 cat, Borla header and a turbo from a Volvo S60. Again cheap and fun.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:33 PM   #25
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

the volvo s60 turbo is small. get a k04 outta a 225hp audi tt. At audi they cost 800 but you can find them for cheaper. Or get it wholesale from audi. They can handle alot of boost. They aren't too big so it doesn't take much to make them spool but they can generate alot of power. It may be worth looking into for that project. You wont be let down. The s60 turbo looks smaller then a k03. My friend has one and its not that fast. but the 2.5 helps. Still the s60 turbo will work great for low end power. Good luck bro.
Saturnless...
Old 08-01-2008, 01:55 AM   #26
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Haha. Ya, SAFC, I was not thinking today. Megasquirt is the standalone. I'm usually pretty good at guessing acronyms, I even knew SAFC was piggyback but didn't put enough thought into it.

Ya, I'm into grownup cars now, or at least something nice. My coupe just doesn't fit me anymore, I look more at home driving the girlfriends 07 Mustang convertible, the redfire color.

I might end out picking up a BMW Z4, depending what trim package it is. It's a few years old, low miles, convertible, silver, manual, good deal. I want it to be able to out perform the SKY Redline if I'm going to get it, though, I don't want the price difference to be made up by the name, but by power.
If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #27
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
the volvo s60 turbo is small. get a k04 outta a 225hp audi tt. At audi they cost 800 but you can find them for cheaper. Or get it wholesale from audi. They can handle alot of boost. They aren't too big so it doesn't take much to make them spool but they can generate alot of power. It may be worth looking into for that project. You wont be let down. The s60 turbo looks smaller then a k03. My friend has one and its not that fast. but the 2.5 helps. Still the s60 turbo will work great for low end power. Good luck bro.
With a $75 car it is hard to justify buying a wizzbang turbo for an engine with 183K miles on it. Our Volvo turbo was $25 and has about 25K miles on it. It won't be good for a ton of power, but it will do a bit until a JDM STI swap finds a home in the bay. Remember this is a cheap, fun car not a power crazed serious car. We hope when all is done do have spent around $2K. I spend real money on racing my Saturn, working on my '86 Conquest, servicing my wifes E36 328i and saving for a Lotus.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #28
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

yeah I forgot you got that conquest. I'm working on picking up a 89 supra. But I'm gonna get the subaru first. $25 where are you getting that turbo from? Bad bearings or something? I look at it this way, If that car is light as hell, it really won't matter what turbo you put on it. It will be a good little sleeper, no need to make it a drag car.
Saturnless...
Old 08-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #29
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksc2 View Post
Ya, I'm into grownup cars now, or at least something nice. My coupe just doesn't fit me anymore, I look more at home driving the girlfriends 07 Mustang convertible, the redfire color.

I might end out picking up a BMW Z4, depending what trim package it is. It's a few years old, low miles, convertible, silver, manual, good deal. I want it to be able to out perform the SKY Redline if I'm going to get it, though, I don't want the price difference to be made up by the name, but by power.
S-cars are great dailies and fun to screw with and ace. As long as you don't rice them out that are plenty grown up too. My car passes as stock. My car never gets police attention. That is the core of an adult car. Kiddie cars tend to have wings and wild paint; They ae all about "look at me". If I get the Lotus I will probably be driving my Saturn around for anouther 4-5 years and I'd be totally happy with that. 37MPG on the interstate in a car that will out manuvure just about anything else on the road is pretty darn nice.

BMWs are good cars. I think they are a better built car than the Sky. The Redline is a higher performance car, but honestly I'd leave it up to taste. I don't think any reasonable person would say the Z4 is a bad choice. Speed is not everything, especially if you aren't racing. For the money, I'm a E36 fan though. Drop top E36 M3s will cost you less than $15K.

I tend to look at it cars are a balance between coolness and money. Cooler cars tend to cost more money, but there are some cars in which the balnce is more then fair. Someone could spend $40K on a cool car. But I'd argue that there are cars that are just as cool for under $10K. At the end of the day I'd rather have 4 cool cars than 1. The most expensive car in my dream garage would cost less than $25K.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #30
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

the z4 is actually one of the cheaper used bmws. they aren't practical so not many people want them, they have an awful resale. I actually thought about getting one a while back. If I got the subaru, I don't know that I would keep the wing. It looks good with out it, espicially with the c/f trunk. I am not one for flashy paint jobs or spoilers. I dont like rice at all, and most exhausts on 4 bangers are rice. But the select few (srt-4, evo, sti, well turbo cars really) Though you can definetly rice those cars out. The subby will be black witht he gold rims, maybe the blue, but I like the carbon fiber look on the white subby. I'm not a flashy ricey person, but when you see it in person it looks great regaurdless of taste, its hard to dislike. But everyone has their own flavors of life. But like I said, it would probably be the black with c/f hood and trunk. They have fender and door kits for them as well. I guess a full c/f car would look sweet. All depends on who it is thats looking at it. Plus thats alot of money. You get cheap carbon fiber, and it will fade like s**t. I hate when people buy that online ebay junk.
Saturnless...
Old 08-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #31
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
yeah I forgot you got that conquest. I'm working on picking up a 89 supra. But I'm gonna get the subaru first. $25 where are you getting that turbo from? Bad bearings or something? I look at it this way, If that car is light as hell, it really won't matter what turbo you put on it. It will be a good little sleeper, no need to make it a drag car.
Pull-it yard. Our local one carges $25 per turbo, most times the turbos ar shot. Most turbo cars in the yard are 80's Dodges with a million miles on them. There ar a handfull of folks that go the the yard nearly everyday and get the turbos off the newer cars almost as they come int othe yard. They turn around and sell them on Ebay. They didn't spend the time to pull this one out of the Volvo though. It was a pain in the ass and took us about 2 hours to get out.

Our local large pull-it yard is huge (~1000+ cars) and gets cars all the time. the yard goes through a complete rotation ever 5 weeks or so. Big ard and lot of turbos go through it. a few people make their livings pulling the somewhat fresh, perfect turbos out of crashed cars and selling them as used online.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #32
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

what do you have done to the TSi, what's it been about 2 months now?
Saturnless...
Old 08-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #33
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
the z4 is actually one of the cheaper used bmws. they aren't practical so not many people want them, they have an awful resale. I actually thought about getting one a while back. If I got the subaru, I don't know that I would keep the wing. It looks good with out it, espicially with the c/f trunk. I am not one for flashy paint jobs or spoilers. I dont like rice at all, and most exhausts on 4 bangers are rice. But the select few (srt-4, evo, sti, well turbo cars really) Though you can definetly rice those cars out. The subby will be black witht he gold rims, maybe the blue, but I like the carbon fiber look on the white subby. I'm not a flashy ricey person, but when you see it in person it looks great regaurdless of taste, its hard to dislike. But everyone has their own flavors of life. But like I said, it would probably be the black with c/f hood and trunk. They have fender and door kits for them as well. I guess a full c/f car would look sweet. All depends on who it is thats looking at it. Plus thats alot of money. You get cheap carbon fiber, and it will fade like s**t. I hate when people buy that online ebay junk.
I'm not a huge fan of unpainted CF. The weave look cool and all, but in all reality CF should be painted. The "fading" you are refering to isn't a sign that the CF is junk. It is because the epoxies in CF are being destroyed by UV light. In my engneering mind I'd always paint CF, you gain the lightness, lose to police and 16 year old boy attention and make it last longer.

At some point my Saturn will be getting some raw carbon fiber parts (raw it far lighter than the plastic reenforced and clear coated stuff normally sold for cars). The parts will all be painted either flat black or body color. The wings will cost more than my car (luckly cost will be $0 to me), so I really want it to last.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #34
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
what do you have done to the TSi, what's it been about 2 months now?
I just bought a 3 inch stainless exhaust and downpipe. The old pipe was way rusted. Hereare some stock photos of the Mookeeh pipe I just got. Mine is the chrome muffler version. I wich it wasn't all super huge tip, but I really couldn't have had a custom setup of this quality built for me at this price. I ended up paying $575 shipped.

I still need to decide on a turbo. The easy way out is a Super 16G, but I'm eyeing the GT28RS and getting pretty excited about that. I've been orking on cleaning the car up mostly. I'm a turbo away from being back on the road.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #35
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

GOD DAMN!! I bet that was a shiney penny. lol. Thats nice bro. I don't have the free money to do anything to the STI when I get it. I wanted to get the color carbon fiber hood and trunk. through subaru accersories you can order a hood and trunk through their parts department that has the paint then c/f over top. It looks sexy as hell, I saw in on a car. If I got the blue it would look sweet.
Saturnless...
Old 08-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #36
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Back on topic- the last thing a naturally aspirated (N/A) S-series needs is MORE FUEL. Skip the upgraded fuel pump and injectors.

$240 for an SPS rear sway bar is actually a good price- seeing how rear sway bars have pretty much been extinct for the S-series for awhile now. Is AMR delivering theirs yet?
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #37
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

is AMR reliable... has anyone reputable, not some new guy, tried to buy anything from them. I just wanna make sure I'm not giving away my card to some random ass person
Saturnless...
Old 08-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #38
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud819 View Post
Agility Coilovers, 8K springs front and back. SX1 front bar and SPS 17.5mm rear bar. coulpe of other little things, but thaose are this big parts.
Do you think it would be best to replace the springs and struts at the same time? Mine have 160k miles on them... in theory. I'm kind of waiting to have some sort of strut problem so I can upgrade the whole thing.

I'm very interested in a rear sway bar upgrade (more-so than springs/struts). I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open.
-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.
sps SOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #39
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

yes... while you have it all apart tear her down and replace them both... you already will have to depress the springs one time (I hate doing that) might as well do it all in one shot. But what you do is up to you, if you don't mind doing the same work twice. You'll probably need new bushings and seats if its the first time anything has been done to it yet. Probably got a good bit of rust, but maybe not, just before you tear it down make sure you order all the stuff you need to do the job full. You dont want to do the shock and find out that you need a spring kit and then saturn not have it and have to wait for parts... If its your one mode of transportation.
Saturnless...
Old 08-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #40
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps SOHC View Post
Do you think it would be best to replace the springs and struts at the same time? Mine have 160k miles on them... in theory. I'm kind of waiting to have some sort of strut problem so I can upgrade the whole thing.

I'm very interested in a rear sway bar upgrade (more-so than springs/struts). I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open.
If your struts are original then they are certainly shot. Realy average strut life is about 60K.

I'd replace everything at once.I bought my first set of springs about a week after I bought my car. I bought the struts about 3 months later. I installed them both together about 9 months after that. If you know you are going to do both start looking for deals now. When you see a really good deal buy it.