SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2000, 08:18 PM   #1
Rich

Default Erratic acceleration

I just picked up a 92 SL2 5 speed with 68,000 miles. My problem is while going through the gears under light accelleration from a start to around 3rd gear the car seems to buck. Its not the engine but more like a motor mount causing the throttle to fluctuate (like fluttering the gas pedal) the top mount looks like new but there is almost 1/4" gap on all sides ( Top front & rear ) between the rubber and the metal cap. Does anyone know if there should be a gap?

SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2000, 08:41 PM   #2
T_N_T
T_N_T is on a distinguished road

I have an SL2 '92 with lots more miles than that, and its allways hopped on me a bit.

But only for maybe 5 secs at most if you keep the throttle as close to the same as possible. It is especially noticable in 1st--obviously--but it seems that its only very very light acceleration(i have to try to make it happen). I don't have the problem while starting from a normal stop, but I usually keep the revs above 2k on start and am very slow w/the clutch(Im trying to master the smoothness of an auto for when I have passengers of course).

The gap looks like it should be there. Its getting replaced pretty soon so I'll let you know bout that.
Old 06-15-2000, 09:59 PM   #3
lowrider SL1
lowrider SL1 is on a distinguished road

T N T, no offense, but who taught you how to drive a stick?! I too am very picky when it comes to driving smoothly, but you should be able to start from a dead stop if you barely rev the engine past 1k. I drive a SL1 5speed, and even when I'm driving in San Francisco, I barely have to rev the engine past idle to get moving smoothly. That's the correct way to drive a stick. You don't need to burn up the clutch every time you accelerate! Just my two cents. Feel free to disregard.
Old 06-16-2000, 02:28 PM   #4
Rich

What do you mean "who taught me how to drive a stick" This message board is here to try to pinpoint Saturn problems and help repair them . I have driven a stick since 1973 not counting 4 previous years on dirt bikes.The stickshift cars to name a few are MG,Triumph Opel GT, Toyota,Datsun Z,Nissen,GTO,Firebird,Camaro. I hope I have a problem with my Saturn because I cant see them having such a following with this bouncy accelleration. It could be an engine problem,Exhaust restriction,clutch springs or motor mount ect. I am just trying to pin it down.
Here are some symptoms Poor low end accelleration in 1st & 2nd bellow 1500 rpm .A bounce under light accelleration from a standing start.For good accelleration having to stand on the throtle.
My 86 4cyl 5 spd Camry was a whole lot faster and responsive engine wise and it had 129,000 miles on it.Oh it also had the origonal clutch.

Old 06-16-2000, 06:54 PM   #5
saturn_guy
saturn_guy is on a distinguished road

on 95 saturns motor mounts there is a gap on all sides. if there are no visible cracks on your mount then it is ok. as far as the bucking is concerned you need to check several things. when was the last time the plugs were repalaced? they need to be replaced every 30,000 miles. while you are checking your plugs inspect your dis coil(the thing that your plugs wires are connected to)for any type of corrosion.if there is corrosion you can clean it off with a steel wool pad(this is only a temporary solution because it will corrode again)but the main reason why there is corrosion is because the plugs were not changed.being a 95 you might also want to try a top engine cleaning. saturns if there is one thing wrong with them is the fact that they dont like carbon deposits. doing a top enginr cleaning will (trust me if you do a good one)return your car to like new performance.one last thing is that your EGR valve might be stuck open or stuck close which would cause a flutter during acceleration. the egr valve gets clogged up with carbon . you can try to remove it and clean it the best you can but i have had little success with that.the EGR valve is on the right side of the engine a black round cylander by the throttle body. hope this helps
Old 06-16-2000, 06:55 PM   #6
saturn_guy

on 95 saturns motor mounts there is a gap on all sides. if there are no visible cracks on your mount then it is ok. as far as the bucking is concerned you need to check several things. when was the last time the plugs were repalaced? they need to be replaced every 30,000 miles. while you are checking your plugs inspect your dis coil(the thing that your plugs wires are connected to)for any type of corrosion.if there is corrosion you can clean it off with a steel wool pad(this is only a temporary solution because it will corrode again)but the main reason why there is corrosion is because the plugs were not changed.being a 95 you might also want to try a top engine cleaning. saturns if there is one thing wrong with them is the fact that they dont like carbon deposits. doing a top enginr cleaning will (trust me if you do a good one)return your car to like new performance.one last thing is that your EGR valve might be stuck open or stuck close which would cause a flutter during acceleration. the egr valve gets clogged up with carbon . you can try to remove it and clean it the best you can but i have had little success with that.the EGR valve is on the right side of the engine a black round cylander by the throttle body. hope this helps
Old 06-16-2000, 06:56 PM   #7
saturn_guy

Old 06-16-2000, 06:57 PM   #8
saturn_guy

Old 06-16-2000, 06:58 PM   #9
saturn_guy

Old 06-16-2000, 06:58 PM   #10
saturn_guy

Old 06-16-2000, 06:58 PM   #11
saturn_guy

Old 06-16-2000, 07:03 PM   #12
saturn_guy

on 95 saturns motor mounts there is a gap on all sides. if there are no visible cracks on your mount then it is ok. as far as the bucking is concerned you need to check several things. when was the last time the plugs were repalaced? they need to be replaced every 30,000 miles. while you are checking your plugs inspect your dis coil(the thing that your plugs wires are connected to)for any type of corrosion.if there is corrosion you can clean it off with a steel wool pad(this is only a temporary solution because it will corrode again)but the main reason why there is corrosion is because the plugs were not changed.being a 95 you might also want to try a top engine cleaning. saturns if there is one thing wrong with them is the fact that they dont like carbon deposits. doing a top enginr cleaning will (trust me if you do a good one)return your car to like new performance.one last thing is that your EGR valve might be bad. the way to check this is to take off the little hose hooked up to the EGR valve. your EGR valve is on the right side of your engine. by the throttle body . a golden colored circle thing .there is a little hose connected to it. remove it and drive around for a moment. if your car drives fine then you need a EGR valve. dont drive around with it disconnected for too long or you will set an SES light.if you do set an SES light turn the car off reconnet the hose and when you start the car back up it should be out. hope this helps
Old 06-16-2000, 07:05 PM   #13
saturn_guy

on 95 saturns motor mounts there is a gap on all sides. if there are no visible cracks on your mount then it is ok. as far as the bucking is concerned you need to check several things. when was the last time the plugs were repalaced? they need to be replaced every 30,000 miles. while you are checking your plugs inspect your dis coil(the thing that your plugs wires are connected to)for any type of corrosion.if there is corrosion you can clean it off with a steel wool pad(this is only a temporary solution because it will corrode again)but the main reason why there is corrosion is because the plugs were not changed.being a 95 you might also want to try a top engine cleaning. saturns if there is one thing wrong with them is the fact that they dont like carbon deposits. doing a top enginr cleaning will (trust me if you do a good one)return your car to like new performance.one last thing is that your EGR valve might be bad. the way to check this is to take off the little hose hooked up to the EGR valve. your EGR valve is on the right side of your engine. by the throttle body . a golden colored circle thing .there is a little hose connected to it. remove it and drive around for a moment. if your car drives fine then you need a EGR valve. dont drive around with it disconnected for too long or you will set an SES light.if you do set an SES light turn the car off reconnet the hose and when you start the car back up it should be out. hope this helps
Old 06-16-2000, 07:06 PM   #14
saturn_guy

on 92 saturns motor mounts there is a gap on all sides. if there are no visible cracks on your mount then it is ok. as far as the bucking is concerned you need to check several things. when was the last time the plugs were repalaced? they need to be replaced every 30,000 miles. while you are checking your plugs inspect your dis coil(the thing that your plugs wires are connected to)for any type of corrosion.if there is corrosion you can clean it off with a steel wool pad(this is only a temporary solution because it will corrode again)but the main reason why there is corrosion is because the plugs were not changed.being a 95 you might also want to try a top engine cleaning. saturns if there is one thing wrong with them is the fact that they dont like carbon deposits. doing a top enginr cleaning will (trust me if you do a good one)return your car to like new performance.one last thing is that your EGR valve might be bad. the way to check this is to take off the little hose hooked up to the EGR valve. your EGR valve is on the right side of your engine. by the throttle body . a golden colored circle thing .there is a little hose connected to it. remove it and drive around for a moment. if your car drives fine then you need a EGR valve. dont drive around with it disconnected for too long or you will set an SES light.if you do set an SES light turn the car off reconnet the hose and when you start the car back up it should be out. hope this helps
Old 06-16-2000, 07:12 PM   #15
saturn_guy

sorry about all the posts!! some thing went screwy on my computer and i didnt thing it was going though!
Closed Thread