SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 09-10-2021, 12:20 AM   #1
Evilcowboy
Evilcowboy is on a distinguished road

Default Headlight Assembly

Hi,

I recently had an idiot hit my 08 Astra with a motorized bicycle in the dark with no lights and dark clothing and no helmet (yes he asked how I didn't see him )

Now I have to replace the passenger side headlight assembly. I know the car is completely European but I was wanting to ask if there is an interchange of any other product by GM that the headlight assembly was the same. I know its mostly an Opel design but I am unsure if GM changed anything about the body style of the Saturn Astra and if any other Saturn car's headlight assembly would fit. As the headlights do look like they mount a lot of the same way GM cars do.

Or if there is another European car that fits it.

Thanks in advanced I did a search and couldn't find any topics that covered headlight assembly interchange.
Evilcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #2
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Headlight Assembly

Get a used one at your local junk yard or car-part.com
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:09 PM   #3
Evilcowboy

Yeah I went to a local junk yard 3 of them this car is rather elusive which is mostly why I asked to see if there was another car I could fit that would be more common at the junk yard.

Thanks for the carparts link I'll try on there.

I did find one on Ebay for 135 bucks but I have limited funds so I was looking in the 80 bucks range.

I know its just a rebaged European car which is why its so hard to find another one. But GM being GM I figured they may have used those same headlights in something else and was looking more for interchange information.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:18 PM   #4
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilcowboy View Post
Yeah I went to a local junk yard 3 of them this car is rather elusive which is mostly why I asked to see if there was another car I could fit that would be more common at the junk yard.

Thanks for the carparts link I'll try on there.

I did find one on Ebay for 135 bucks but I have limited funds so I was looking in the 80 bucks range.

I know its just a rebaged European car which is why its so hard to find another one. But GM being GM I figured they may have used those same headlights in something else and was looking more for interchange information.
Yup, that is expensive. I looked and all the ones I saw online were north of a hundred and fifty bucks. Where do you live? There is an Astra in just about in every salvage yard.
PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:27 AM   #5
Evilcowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Yup, that is expensive. I looked and all the ones I saw online were north of a hundred and fifty bucks. Where do you live? There is an Astra in just about in every salvage yard.
Ah I live in NY and I checked 3 different ones around me, they had a blue one but the front end was no better off. I did look at the carparts link and yeah they are expensive but I found a cloudy one on there from Rhode Island that is 35 bucks plus shipping. I don't care about the cloudy thing they do, its an easy fix for that. I am just hoping they don't nail me for shipping too much. So it looks promising that I may be able to get one around 35 to 50 bucks and I am willing to pay that to get the car back to 100%

I also still have to find a hood but I did the best I could with the dent with a hammer and dolly. I was able to body fill it after I got it back to the right shape (still had that wrinkled look). The filler went on and ended up only being around 1/32 of an inch thick so I reach an ideal thickness for filler. If you could have saw the dent before keeping in mind the part of the hood that rest over that headlight is pretty far back. I did end up having to remove a small portion of the reinforcement under it (it was jacked up anyway) to get access to the flat metal. But will still probably replace the hood even though all my friends and family say you can't tell it was as bad as it was.

I actually bought the car to replace a 2000 Prizm lol. It is rusted pretty bad on that one. I was pretty happy to get the car in the condition it was for 2 grand and then the next day the guy on the motorized bike ruined it for me. But I am sure the hit hurt him more than it did me. The bumper did what it was designed to do and actually stopped any damage internally, I was grateful for that.

But yeah around me the Saturn Astra is pretty rare as well as Vauxhall and Opel. lol

The headlight assembly for the Saturn Aura looks like it would fit the car but the plug is not the same which is why I am guessing they wouldn't work. Not sure if there is another reason they wouldn't work. I am not sure if changing the connector to an aura if it would work, but I am not gonna lie, I am really tempted to try it. I have modded other cars with parts that did not belong to them, and am pretty good at it which is why I wished I knew if the shape fit the Astra, if I knew that for sure I would probably try to just splice on the Aura connector and put 2 Aura headlight assemblies in it instead.

Thanks for helping me brainstorm this whole thing. Since the car was only 1 day old to me then I don't really know it as well as every other car I have owned. I didn't even know what an Astra was until I got this one. They seem like fairly good cars because even the wrecked blue Astra at the yard had its engine and transmission robbed, which tells me those still work. So it seems really reliable and it handles really well. Honestly, it seems like its one of the best cars GM offered from the Saturn line. However, I will say it is probably better that GM didn't make the car, so I actually like Opel pretty good now. Their design is solid and very well done.

Sorry for the long post, I like to talk lol.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #6
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Our family also had a Geo Prizm. That was an awesome design upgrade to the Toyota Corolla.

The Astra was Car of the Year in Europe for several years and they are all over the place. They are pretty good cars overall; a lot of fun and the foldable rear seats are ace. You can double fold the rear seats for more cargo space by flipping the bottom seat cushion first.

Change the hood when you have some extra cash.

You want to use Full Synthetic oil on these and change pretty frequently (e.g. 5k miles) else the cam phasers get noisy, which is painful and expensive to fix.

Change or at least clean the cabin air filter or you risk killing the blower resistor which is a pain to remove.

Change the spark plugs or risk killing the coil pack.

Car runs a lot better after cleaning the throttle body. Get a new air filter too.

On the suspension, the drop links fail frequently causing sloppy handling and clunking. Fortunately they are cheap and easy to change.

Is your car an automatic or manual transmission?
Old 09-13-2021, 12:18 AM   #7
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilcowboy View Post
Ah I live in NY and I checked 3 different ones around me, they had a blue one but the front end was no better off. I did look at the carparts link and yeah they are expensive but I found a cloudy one on there from Rhode Island that is 35 bucks plus shipping. I don't care about the cloudy thing they do, its an easy fix for that. I am just hoping they don't nail me for shipping too much. So it looks promising that I may be able to get one around 35 to 50 bucks and I am willing to pay that to get the car back to 100%

I also still have to find a hood but I did the best I could with the dent with a hammer and dolly. I was able to body fill it after I got it back to the right shape (still had that wrinkled look). The filler went on and ended up only being around 1/32 of an inch thick so I reach an ideal thickness for filler. If you could have saw the dent before keeping in mind the part of the hood that rest over that headlight is pretty far back. I did end up having to remove a small portion of the reinforcement under it (it was jacked up anyway) to get access to the flat metal. But will still probably replace the hood even though all my friends and family say you can't tell it was as bad as it was.

I actually bought the car to replace a 2000 Prizm lol. It is rusted pretty bad on that one. I was pretty happy to get the car in the condition it was for 2 grand and then the next day the guy on the motorized bike ruined it for me. But I am sure the hit hurt him more than it did me. The bumper did what it was designed to do and actually stopped any damage internally, I was grateful for that.

But yeah around me the Saturn Astra is pretty rare as well as Vauxhall and Opel. lol

The headlight assembly for the Saturn Aura looks like it would fit the car but the plug is not the same which is why I am guessing they wouldn't work. Not sure if there is another reason they wouldn't work. I am not sure if changing the connector to an aura if it would work, but I am not gonna lie, I am really tempted to try it. I have modded other cars with parts that did not belong to them, and am pretty good at it which is why I wished I knew if the shape fit the Astra, if I knew that for sure I would probably try to just splice on the Aura connector and put 2 Aura headlight assemblies in it instead.

Thanks for helping me brainstorm this whole thing. Since the car was only 1 day old to me then I don't really know it as well as every other car I have owned. I didn't even know what an Astra was until I got this one. They seem like fairly good cars because even the wrecked blue Astra at the yard had its engine and transmission robbed, which tells me those still work. So it seems really reliable and it handles really well. Honestly, it seems like its one of the best cars GM offered from the Saturn line. However, I will say it is probably better that GM didn't make the car, so I actually like Opel pretty good now. Their design is solid and very well done.

Sorry for the long post, I like to talk lol.
I was going to write if you were closer to me (WI) I could try to help you out. There are a couple of good front ends of Astras out here locally. But the yard might move them at times and just plain damage them. Or "customers" will vandalize them. There are plenty of salvage cars in that yard with holes in the windshields. Actually one XE5 had the panoramic moonroof busted out. These cars are not getting any younger so maybe a couple of spare head lights are a good idea. Good luck on your new find.
PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:42 PM   #8
cindycated
cindycated is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Parts are getting sooo hard to find for this car, new or used. You need the whole assembly, not just the lens cover?

I've been finding aftermarket parts from China (and some refurbs), but they take a little while to ship (like a month). I usually look on eBay and AliExpress. When you do your search, leave out "Saturn" - there seem to be more parts available out there for Opels and Vauxhalls ("Astra H") than Saturns. Good luck!
Cindy
Astra XR5, Star Silver, Sunroof, Auto Trans, Sport Handling Pkg, Advanced Audio Pkg, Heated Seats
cindycated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:31 AM   #9
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

There are a number of other used parts sources to try, including https://car-part.com/ and https://www.partsvoice.com/

Besides the US site, I've also sourced stuff from the ebay.co.uk and ebay.de sites.
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:30 PM   #10
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

RockAuto has a hood for about $140 new.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&pt=1396&jsn=8