SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
jlangille
jlangille is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 Saturn Sl1 No Crank/No start

Hello folks,

looking for help with a no crank/no start situation with my SL1.

intermittently my car will simply not start. I turn the key to the on position and the dash, radio, lights etc fires up like normal but the car does not start, no crank. This is happening more and more now and happens about half the time. I find if I leave it for an hour then come back, it will start up as normal. I believe the battery to be good. Shows a voltage of about thirteen and the headlights do not dim when I try to start it. I went to a pick and pull yesterday, grabbed a starter and threw it in. Last night it seemed ok, but then this afternoon I go to start it, and the same thing happened. I threw a battery charger on the car to be sure, the voltage was about thirteen, but capacity showed low. I let it charge for about fifteen minutes until it showed full charge, turned the key and nothing.

When the car won't start, it will not start in drive or neutral, shaking the shifter does not help either.

Help.
jlangille is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2018, 09:57 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: 2002 Saturn Sl1 No Crank/No start

How old is the battery, and presumably you have checked to be sure the battery leads are clean of corrosion AND tight connections?
Usually, if the lights don't dim when trying to start, is shows that there is NO heavy amperage load .... like loose battery terminals, or not wired correctly to the starter, OR starter is shot.
Otherwise, while you were underneath replacing the starter, did anyone verify that when the ignition key is turned to START, that the small PURPLE wire connected to the starter has 12 Vdc on it or not. There should be 3 wires connected to the starter studs, purple being one of them.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlangille View Post
Hello folks,

looking for help with a no crank/no start situation with my SL1.

intermittently my car will simply not start. I turn the key to the on position and the dash, radio, lights etc fires up like normal but the car does not start, no crank. This is happening more and more now and happens about half the time. I find if I leave it for an hour then come back, it will start up as normal. I believe the battery to be good. Shows a voltage of about thirteen and the headlights do not dim when I try to start it. I went to a pick and pull yesterday, grabbed a starter and threw it in. Last night it seemed ok, but then this afternoon I go to start it, and the same thing happened. I threw a battery charger on the car to be sure, the voltage was about thirteen, but capacity showed low. I let it charge for about fifteen minutes until it showed full charge, turned the key and nothing.

When the car won't start, it will not start in drive or neutral, shaking the shifter does not help either.

Help.
A 2002 SL1 with a No Start/No Crank issue.

Is the "Security" light flashing or illuminated solid when this happens?

Does this happen more with the engine cold or warm?

How worn out is the key?

Are there any DTCs for a failed PCM stored?

Is the Service Wrench lit, indicating that the BCM has detected fault conditions?

And have you checked the ground wires from the battery and harness for corrosion?

Is there any issues with turning the ignition switch, once the key is inserted?
"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:23 PM   #4
jlangille
jlangille is on a distinguished road

Is the "Security" light flashing or illuminated solid when this happens?
No, Security light will turn on solid when I turn the key to the on position but will turn off shortly there after.

Does this happen more with the engine cold or warm?
I find more so when the engine is warm. However today it was cold when I went to start it.

How worn out is the key?
Probably fairly worn, I imagine original key.

Are there any DTCs for a failed PCM stored?
Only code on the car is for EGR performance

Is the Service Wrench lit, indicating that the BCM has detected fault conditions?
No

And have you checked the ground wires from the battery and harness for corrosion?
I have not, will tomorrow when it's light out.

Is there any issues with turning the ignition switch, once the key is inserted?
No problem turning the key, tumblers are loose though, I am able to slide the key in and out while driving.

The battery may be old, I will check again tomorrow, connections are tight. Some corrosion on the positive terminal will clean tomorrow. Did check the purple wire for correct voltage before changing out the starter.
jlangille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #5
Saturn2002SL2
Saturn2002SL2 is a jewel in the roughSaturn2002SL2 is a jewel in the roughSaturn2002SL2 is a jewel in the rough

Have a Saturn SL2 2002 that just did this on 5/3/2018...

Someone mentioned using starter fluid (didn't help). The battery is 4 or 5 years old. It might be the battery or other things. Someone said that it might be the spark plugs and/or coils.

Today I tried it again while my headlights were turned on. When the car cranks, the headlights dim (is that normal)...

EDIT:

* Car does crank but will not start.

* Tried popping the clutch as well but that didn't start either.

* The headlights go dim when the engine cranks
1988 RX7 Manual
Bought in 2000 for $1,500 @ 108,200 Miles
Sold in 2001 for $1,700 @ 114,600 Miles

2002 SL2 Manual
Bought in 2002 for $19,895 @ 26 Miles
As of 09/01/2020 @ over 204,000 Miles
Saturn2002SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #6
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Well, to repeat myself "while you were underneath replacing the starter, did anyone verify that when the ignition key is turned to START, that the small PURPLE wire connected to the starter has 12 Vdc on it or not. There should be 3 wires connected to the starter studs, purple being one of them".
Either you are getting voltage to the starter or you are not. If yes, then the starter is bad, if not, maybe the battery cable is bad...or the fusible link has failed or the purple wire is broken or chewed on by vermin?
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote