SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 05-05-2021, 12:50 PM   #1
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1
Default Rewiring DRL's to something else?

Just curious, I understand that the DRL's are wired for the high beams, but are they on a separate circuit from the actual headlight circuit? I've always disliked the DRL's on any car being the headlights and was curious if the DRL's could be routed to something else, maybe some really bright LED lights or the fog lamps or something like that.

More of a "what if", not something I NEED to do
Check out my current SL1!

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268456
cujoe_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2021, 03:39 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Rewiring DRL's to something else?

If you're comfortable with wiring diagrams, S-series DRLs use a complicated configuration. S-series wired high beams for DRLs. Regular parallel wiring for full power high beams. A relay and extra wiring dedicated to drl lighting. Posted in past threads.

If you're not comfortable with complicated drl wiring but want to disable it, a simple mod to the drl relay kills it but leaves high beams for regular use.

It's probably not a good idea to rewire the drl circuit for other use.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:43 PM   #3
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1

I kinda had the same feeling it might mess something up, but wanted to ask first before I even looked at it. Like I said, more of a curiosity than anything.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:07 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Seems simple enough to rewire the DRL's for something else...pull the relay out, fold the offending pin over and use that pin to switch your add-on relay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3rd gen headlights_Page_1.jpg (138.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 3rd gen headlights_Page_2.jpg (157.2 KB, 3 views)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #5
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

I might just pull the relay altogether. When it's cloudy out, I like to have my running lights on and it looks weird with the DRL's because it looks like I'm driving with my brights on. I know, I'm weird that way.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:49 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The fun part of the S-Series DRL system is if you pull the DRL relay you lose the right side high beam if not the entire right side headlight.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:09 PM   #7
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
The fun part of the S-Series DRL system is if you pull the DRL relay you lose the right side high beam if not the entire right side headlight.
Yep, finally got a chance to test it myself, no high beam without the relay. Oh well, not a big deal anyway, guess I'll live with 'em.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:39 PM   #8
mbr
mbr will become famous soon enough

1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
When you pull the relay, you have to use a small wire to jump two terminals. I forget which ones, but a search will find it.
Maybe in the morning I'll take a pic of mine and post it.
Accuracy MATTERS!
mbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:59 AM   #9
mbr
mbr will become famous soon enough

1998 SW2

Here's a pic of the relay removed and the terminals to jump. This will kill the daytime running lights and preserve all the headlights on both sides.
I also highly recommend the GM quad headlight mod. This will keep the low beams on when the high beams are on. Big help on dark roads. It involves a 30 amp relay and some wiring. A search will find a color coded diagram that applies to GM cars with four headlights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6913 25.jpg (88.6 KB, 7 views)
Accuracy MATTERS!
mbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:14 AM   #10
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr View Post
Here's a pic of the relay removed and the terminals to jump. This will kill the daytime running lights and preserve all the headlights on both sides.
I also highly recommend the GM quad headlight mod. This will keep the low beams on when the high beams are on. Big help on dark roads. It involves a 30 amp relay and some wiring. A search will find a color coded diagram that applies to GM cars with four headlights.
I thought about doing that, but I wasn't sure which slots to jump, I'll look into doing that.

I was also looking into the quad beam setup too. I did it on my Silverado, but all I had to do with that was re-ground the ground wire so it would keep the low beams on with the high beams.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:25 AM   #11
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujoe_da_man View Post
When it's cloudy out, I like to have my running lights on and it looks weird with the DRL's because it looks like I'm driving with my brights on. I know, I'm weird that way.
DRLs are about a couple hundred lumens dimmer than the low beams.

One of the "sounds good, never got around to it" things I considered was jumpering the relay to a switch, to disable/enable DRLs from the driver seat

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...pass+DRL+relay

But considering how many people pull out in front of me or do other stupid s**t when I have headlights on, I decided to keep the DRLs, as I need all the visibility I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr
I also highly recommend the GM quad headlight mod.
I also considered that because I drive some pretty dark roads, or used to before pandemic.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9617

But since I ended up with a coupe that has the cutoffs, I modified a high beam bulb to fit into the the passenger low beam socket and have it aimed low. Light up that side really well, don't get people flashing me, either so hopefully it is not blinding.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote