saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 02-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
Short
Short is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
Default Parked Saturn 3 years - no spark

Hi everyone,

I've retired my S-series 3 years ago to rebuild a 1994 Saab 9000. What a mistake.

Anyway, after 3 years parked the car has no spark. The engine turns, all the fuses are fine. But, when we unplug a spark plug wire, put in an external spark plug, ground it, and turn the key we don't get any spark. Sparkplug wires were replaced 5-6 years ago and everything looks fine.

There is some evidence of pack rats filling the airbox with Pinon nuts, but no evidence of them chewing wires or anything.

We've tested spark plug wires attached to each of the coil packs, so unless both have failed, I suspect it's not the coil packs.

Any suggestions on where to look next?

Thank you, and please forgive my Saab phase!
Short is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #2
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2
Default Re: Parked Saturn 3 years - no spark

Look for chewed wires coming from the crankshaft position sensor.
MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Losing spark is one indication/hint. Did you remove plugs and examined them for raw gas? Injectors are supposed to pulse (hint#1) with pressurized fuel (hint#2). When turning on ignition, can you hear the faint hum/hiss sounds of the fuel pump cycling on for two seconds (hint#3)? When the pump runs to pressurize the fuel rail, the EFI system is ready to create spark and pulse injectors.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
Short

1998 SW2

Thanks for the advice. I'll check to make sure the engine is getting fuel and that the CPS is still functioning.

So then I take it that the plugs won't spark if the engine isn't getting fuel?

One of the reasons I parked it was the notorious F5 fuse issue, which has been resolved but maybe I need to double check the fuel pump.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

The CPS triggers both spark and fuel injector pulsing. If you find that you have neither, then the CPS or its wiring is very suspect. If you have fuel injector pulsing (raw fuel smell in cylinders after cranking as fdryer mentions), but no spark, then the CPS is doing its job, and the ICM is suspect.
BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
Short

1998 SW2

Both wires to the CPS were chewed through, you guys nailed it. Thanks.

The battery was toast though - after some charging, i drove around and the battery died. Relays were going nuts, everything was clicking and flashing. Now that I have a new battery in, i've noticed (1) the turn signals don't work, (2) the front wipers don't work but the back wiper DOES, (3) the hatch release clicks but doesn't release, and (4) the passenger brake light doesn't work but the driver does.

I should note that, prior to the electrical system wigging out when my battery bit the dust, I know the hatch opened and I THINK the turn signals worked. I believe one or both front wipers worked.

All pertinent fuses have been checked - they're fine - and replaced anyway. It does not resolve these issues.

Right now i'm considering replacing checking and replacing any and all relays that may be attached to this system. I don't think it's the multifunction switch on the steering column because I can still turn on my highbeams, headlights, and the rear wiper.

That would include the brake light relay, but not sure about the other components. Is there a wiper relay? A hatch release relay?

The hatch doesn't even open with a key. Maybe this is a separate issue.

I've created a new thread titled "Super dead battery might have fried electrical components". I can't link until I hit 15 posts unfortunately.

Last edited by Short; 04-09-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If the CPS wires were food for critters, there may be other wire damage to examine. You're the only one to see your lawn ornament become a home for animals needing shelter and chew food. You might have to go over wiring, carefully, to eliminate wire damage as one problem. Another may be the main power system - battery, battery cables, their connections and alternator. Since a new battery is installed, there many be other things to check, as suggested. If corrosion isn't on battery cables, chassis and engine block ground connections, check for belt tightness and alternator output. Alternator output should always be higher than battery voltage (>12.5 volts). Anywhere between 13.3v-14.7v with engine idling. And if corrosion set in from the car sitting a few years, you might have to remove each fuse and relay and put them back, - this act of exercising electrical connections as removal and replacement scrapes male/female terminals.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #8
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
87z16
87z16 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

another suggestion. happened to my friend. his 99 sl2 sat for like 2-3yrs as well and of course the battery was connected and went bad. this in turn fried some connections in the computer.

just a thought.
99 SL2 maroon/beige
99 SL2 maroon/black
87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe --- maroon/maroon - completely stock
85 Monte Carlo SS --- silver/maroon - not stock

tom

http://www.motortopia.com/87z16
87z16 is offline   Reply With Quote