SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 09:51 PM   #1
korax123
korax123 is on a distinguished road

Question How hard to build my own turbo???

How hard would it be to build my own turbo kit for my Ion? If i could do it for like $800 i would do it. Just boost like 7psi or sumething. I am mechanically inclined and have put a few motors in but i really don't know much about turbos. If anyone could guide me into where to get parts from and what i need i think i might do this.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2004, 11:13 PM   #2
rascon11
rascon11 is on a distinguished road

im trying to put one together myself. im estimating it will cost about 1000 for the basics(turbo, intercooler, piping, manifold, fuel management, and all the lines and connectors and stuff).. anyways check out http://turbosaturns.net , they know their stuff.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:57 PM   #3
jeremyska5
jeremyska5 is on a distinguished road

building a turbo is easy... geting the fuel curve right with a ecm that doesn't read above 1 bar isn't... unless you know a lot about standalone fuel management, i would get someone to help you...
Old 04-28-2004, 07:54 AM   #4
bama
bama is on a distinguished road

$800 or $1000???? Maybe, just maybe if you want to build a junkyard setup that will blow your engine in 20 minutes. You will EASILY spend $2500 or more building a turbo setup that will be drivable and somewhat reliable.

Why would you want to skimp on a brand new car?

Bill
Old 04-30-2004, 01:46 AM   #5
rehm70
rehm70 is on a distinguished road

2500$, not!

I bought a turbo on ebay for 110$, with blowoff valve and coolant and oil lines.....

intake tubing could be bought for roughly 100$.........

Bought exhaust flange to build header on ebay, 23$ shipped, add another 30-50$ for piping to make manifold......

Intercooler-if one wanted to use one-is not mandatory- can be bought on ebay all day for 250$new, or stock used one could be bought at a salvage yard for less.......

The only thing left is the ehgine mngmnt.
I would use a Megasquirt system for ease of tune, and $ savings.
A megasquirt, if you have a laptop to tune it, can be built for 150$ + another 100$ or so for sensors.
All of the info needed can be found on yahoo, Mega Squirt is a stand alone fuel mngmnt system created by two guys from the East Coast. You can solder one together, or I have seen them on Ebay already assembled.......

I think we need to get back to the days of hot rodding and car crafting, and building your own turbo kit will be a learning experience that MAY cost you more than you could buy one for( if mistakes are made, or wrong parts bought,etc.) but also could cost 2000$ less than a store bought unit......

Building things ourselves does two(maybe 3) things, makes us more knowledgable about our vehicles, injects great pride if it works, adn keeps us out of trouble, because we are too busy to Cause trouble, another thing that was lost in the car craft days.

My 2 cents
Old 04-30-2004, 03:45 AM   #6
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Saturn Motorsports is offering or about to offer a bolt-on 5psi turbo supposedly adding 100hp to the 2.2 Ecotec, as reported in auto week mag. Pricing is est. at $3995. with a 3/36 warranty. Could you do it cheaper yourself? sure, but it's your call whether the the time you would invest tuning and experimenting would be worth the cost difference.
Of course this would violate any and all factory warranty concerning the driveline components if this setup caused anything to fail from stress.
..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:24 AM   #7
bama

Quote:
Originally posted by rehm70
2500$, not!

I bought a turbo on ebay for 110$, with blowoff valve and coolant and oil lines.....

intake tubing could be bought for roughly 100$.........

Bought exhaust flange to build header on ebay, 23$ shipped, add another 30-50$ for piping to make manifold......

Intercooler-if one wanted to use one-is not mandatory- can be bought on ebay all day for 250$new, or stock used one could be bought at a salvage yard for less.......

The only thing left is the ehgine mngmnt.
I would use a Megasquirt system for ease of tune, and $ savings.
A megasquirt, if you have a laptop to tune it, can be built for 150$ + another 100$ or so for sensors.
All of the info needed can be found on yahoo, Mega Squirt is a stand alone fuel mngmnt system created by two guys from the East Coast. You can solder one together, or I have seen them on Ebay already assembled.......

I think we need to get back to the days of hot rodding and car crafting, and building your own turbo kit will be a learning experience that MAY cost you more than you could buy one for( if mistakes are made, or wrong parts bought,etc.) but also could cost 2000$ less than a store bought unit......

Building things ourselves does two(maybe 3) things, makes us more knowledgable about our vehicles, injects great pride if it works, adn keeps us out of trouble, because we are too busy to Cause trouble, another thing that was lost in the car craft days.

My 2 cents
I hope you saved enough for a tow truck, you'll need it
Old 04-30-2004, 08:53 AM   #8
bama

You're setting yourself up for failure and/or going to destroy your engine. I would be willing to be that either...

1) Your turbo project never gets finished and running reliably with boost and you end up selling everything on e-bay.

or

2)You miraculously finish the project and blow your engine up in a couple days, maybe even a week.

What turbo did you go with.. new, used, have to be rebuilt?

What are you going to use for a wideband O2 and air/fuel management? What about ignition/timing?

My idea of a custom turbo:

-Brand new T3/T4 series ~$500 or even a Disco Potato ~$800
-Custom log style manifold~$250
-Intercooler, IC piping, misc. harware~$400-$500
-Custom exhaust with down pipe ~$400
-Air filter with custom cold air box ~$60
-MSD DIS-2 ignition ~$320
-Megasquirt with DIY wideband O2 sensor ~$400
-Autometer Air/fuel guage, Boost guage, fuel pressure guage,
guage pod plus any other guage you would like ~$400
-oil lines for turbo and more misc. hardware ~$100

Plus, as a project general rule, you can double your budget and time if you do not do your research.

I know there are a lot more things I am forgetting, for instance forged rods/pistons, custom machine shop work, etc. But we will assume low boost for price sake.

All together ~$3000+. Sure you could cut corners and save some money but... Like I said before, I hope you saved enough for a tow truck and another car to drive while yours is broke.

Bill
Old 04-30-2004, 09:23 AM   #9
bama

Oh yeah! I forgot to add a BOV for coolness Another ~$200.

Bill
Old 04-30-2004, 11:46 AM   #10
rascon11
rascon11 is on a distinguished road

im am just doing this project for low boost like 5psi.. now ive seen set-ups using low boost where some of the stuff bama mentioned was not necesary. like the MSD. all that i want to do is get all the stuff installed and running then down the line when i have more money go back and get the nice stuff. like a new turbo, MSD, timer, ect. then increase boost.

right now i have a rebuilt t3 that i got for $177 shipped and in the mail is the used intercooler and a new BOV for $80 shipped... i idont know where you get 200 for a new BOV. i am also going to be getting a megasquirt most likely. the intercooler piping should be no problem, under $100. connectors and clamps are really cheap too. all you have to do is know where to look.

also i have alot of help.. my neighbor just put a turbo in his 240 and my other neighbor has a 300zx TT they both saiid they could help and my other friend across town has done it before too.

basically i think that a turbo for around $1000 is completly doable.. i have been doing alot of reading on the subject and im am going to make sure i plan this out to the T before i do anything to the car.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:59 AM   #11
04 ION QC2
04 ION QC2 is on a distinguished road

wow, i can't believe the attitudes here...if you can't buy iy from a store or dealership, it won't work! obvioiusly some people here have never been involved with building custom engines or anything for that matter! that's why dealerships and stores rip you a new one...becausec they have everyone fooled into thinking you can't do anything if you can't buy it from them! think for yourselves sometimes...trust me, you can build something reliable and cheap...even if the dealers and stores say you can't!!!
Old 05-02-2004, 02:26 AM   #12
jeremyska5

look all of the ecotec saab stuff is compatible with our engine... do you guys know what a saab is? its got a very similar engine to ours, and the turbo manifold fits like a glove... but like i said before you need to think about fuel management... these engines dont like boost... so you have to fool them into thinking that they do... yeah you can buy a megasquirt but that doesn't mean anything if you dont know what fuel curves you need to program into them... all im saying is its easy on paper but when your car detonates dont say i didn't warn you
Old 05-02-2004, 02:34 AM   #13
jeremyska5

trust me i tried it when i first bought my car a year and a half ago... but what did i do? i ended up selling it on ebay because the ecm is a tricky mother trucker to bypass... the easiest way to build your car is to get one of those ecotec builder books and start from there... it gives you everything you need (assuming you know stuff about building engines and boosting)... oh and i tried a lot of different fpr's and other fuel managers and none of them like to work with saturns... most of them were mainly built for japanese cars... american ecm's are a lot different than japanese ecu's for the most part they dont accept anything over 1 bar... of course you could wait for the redline ecm but then you would have to get the harness too and do some sort of changeover... you could also get the saab ecm which would be great, but again the plugs dont match up to the existing harness... this is my dilemna... trust me no one has built a home made turbo for our car yet... and for one reason fuel management on american cars is a *****
Old 05-02-2004, 06:39 PM   #14
TheSaturnKid
Master Member
TheSaturnKid is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

From what I have experienced, the megasquirt is NOT easy to tune unless you have a base fuel map to work off of.

You NEED a WBO2.

A simple and VERY proven way to suppliment fuel delivery is an EIC system, be it from SDS or using a greddy emanage to control 2 EI's.

Id use the greddy because you CAN tune part throttle pulsewidth of the extra injectors, unlike the SDS which is solely MAP biased. The greddy is also MAP biased, but takes into account other parameters.

Speed density>all.
Closed Thread