SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #1
Crazyguy1990
Crazyguy1990 is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 Saturn SL2

Sorry everyone about the first thread saying a LS2 i have a SL2 Been along day trying to fix this issue

Hello Every one i have a 2000 Saturn SL2 and i just replace the VALVE BODY.... But wants to still act like it don't want to shift in to 4 gea... this is a Automatic Transmission HELP
Crazyguy1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2021, 10:04 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: 2000 Saturn SL2

Is the replacement VB new/rebuilt, or a JY dog? If rebuilt, by what vendor? Regardless of where the VB came from, it would be worthwhile to check solenoid resistance (very quick/easy to do).

The ISN (Input Shaft Nut) is a very common problem with these TAATs, and can cause several different shifting problems.

I always recommend using live-data to check "gear selected" and "gear commanded", along with other trans parameters. This could be something as simple as a range switch, or an engine problem that inhibits 4th.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:13 PM   #3
Crazyguy1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Is the replacement VB new/rebuilt, or a JY dog? If rebuilt, by what vendor? Regardless of where the VB came from, it would be worthwhile to check solenoid resistance (very quick/easy to do).

The ISN (Input Shaft Nut) is a very common problem with these TAATs, and can cause several different shifting problems.

I always recommend using live-data to check "gear selected" and "gear commanded", along with other trans parameters. This could be something as simple as a range switch, or an engine problem that inhibits 4th.

This is every on the VB P107403 - SATURN VALVE BODY TAAT TESTED GUARANTEED 1994-03 Item specifics
Condition: Remanufactured
Seller Notes: ďThese units are gone through from top to bottom to make sure all valves function properly and all solenoids are working. When problems arise, we fix and replace everything using OEM parts. We have a huge success rate with these units.Ē
Manufacturer Part Number:
P107403
Brand:
SATURN

How do i check the solenoid resistance with out taking everything apart again
Old 02-22-2021, 10:39 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, but I'm not seeing any identification of the VB vendor in that last reply. Is the vendor name "Every"? A search for "every" gets me lots of industrial-type valve manufacturers but no VBs; and search for "VB P107403" also gets me no joy. Can you post a link to a listing of what you bought?

Reading the solenoid resistance can be done from entirely outside the trans. Just unplug the 10-pin square connector on the top of the trans. The biggest hassle will be removing the car battery, so you can easily reach/see that connector.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:02 PM   #5
Crazyguy1990

Quote:
Sorry, but I'm not seeing any identification of the VB vendor in that last reply. Is the vendor name "Every"? A search for "every" gets me lots of industrial-type valve manufacturers but no VBs; and search for "VB P107403" also gets me no joy. Can you post a link to a listing of what you bought?

Reading the solenoid resistance can be done from entirely outside the trans. Just unplug the 10-pin square connector on the top of the trans. The biggest hassle will be removing the car battery, so you can easily reach/see that connector.
ok then how do i test it with the Battery out?? sorry kinda new at this my friend told me about saturnfans and well here i i'm lol

here is the link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274071310042
Old 02-22-2021, 11:36 PM   #6
billr
Master Member

You test the solenoid coils using an electrical ohmmeter. They should all be about 5.5 ohms, but it varies a bit by year, so we need confirmation from somebody else. There are many threads here about testing those, showing pin-outs and procedure. However, we can re-post such info if you can't find. I feel the "search" function here sucks, so don't waste too much time if you don't find what you need quickly.

Is that what you paid for the VB, $70? That is a big hint, quality VB rebuilds seem to run in the $180-250 range. I see no mention in that listing of any Sonnax upgrades, about the only "rebuilding" that can really be done. You may have a JY unit that is simply cleaned and had the simple solenoid coil test done.

Have you contacted the VB vendor for their advice?
Old 02-23-2021, 01:16 AM   #7
Crazyguy1990

Quote:
You test the solenoid coils using an electrical ohmmeter. They should all be about 5.5 ohms, but it varies a bit by year, so we need confirmation from somebody else. There are many threads here about testing those, showing pin-outs and procedure. However, we can re-post such info if you can't find. I feel the "search" function here sucks, so don't waste too much time if you don't find what you need quickly.

Is that what you paid for the VB, $70? That is a big hint, quality VB rebuilds seem to run in the $180-250 range. I see no mention in that listing of any Sonnax upgrades, about the only "rebuilding" that can really be done. You may have a JY unit that is simply cleaned and had the simple solenoid coil test done.

Have you contacted the VB vendor for their advice?
Yes I have and waiting for the Response how do I use the ohms meter? I have one. But donít know what to put it on For setting wise and how to test it like where does like red and black go??
Old 02-23-2021, 06:53 AM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I haven't watched this video but it looks like what you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yez2cQL1ob8

It's by FiremanCV, who is a member here under user name campus189. He produces quality videos, helpful with no BS, inspired by two other members here, richpin06a and ShawnV. YI found the video by using this search:

richpin06a test solenoid saturn

richpin06a has a ton of helpful saturn specific videos inspiring others to make their own to help saturn owners.

Quote:
You test the solenoid coils using an electrical ohmmeter. They should all be about 5.5 ohms, but it varies a bit by year, so we need confirmation from somebody else. There are many threads here about testing those, showing pin-outs and procedure. However, we can re-post such info if you can't find. I feel the "search" function here sucks
It does, so here's my old protip that I bust out every so often

Search the site using Google, by putting in your search terms and then ending the search string with "site:saturnfans.com" (without the quote marks). That limits your search to the site after the colon and can be used for any website.

For example:

how to test solenoid auto trans valve body site:saturnfans,com

You can add more search terms to narrow your results. For example, you could add: ohm, meter probe, positive, negative, etc., since your question is related to how to use a DVM (digital volt meter). If you don;t get the results you want with a narrow search, delete a term and re-search to broaden.

You can also click the "image" link under the Google search bar to search for pic on this site.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:42 AM   #9
Crazyguy1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I haven't watched this video but it looks like what you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yez2cQL1ob8

It's by FiremanCV, who is a member here under user name campus189. He produces quality videos, helpful with no BS, inspired by two other members here, richpin06a and ShawnV. YI found the video by using this search:

richpin06a test solenoid saturn

richpin06a has a ton of helpful saturn specific videos inspiring others to make their own to help saturn owners.

It does, so here's my old protip that I bust out every so often

Search the site using Google, by putting in your search terms and then ending the search string with "site:saturnfans.com" (without the quote marks). That limits your search to the site after the colon and can be used for any website.

For example:

how to test solenoid auto trans valve body site:saturnfans,com

You can add more search terms to narrow your results. For example, you could add: ohm, meter probe, positive, negative, etc., since your question is related to how to use a DVM (digital volt meter). If you don;t get the results you want with a narrow search, delete a term and re-search to broaden.

You can also click the "image" link under the Google search bar to search for pic on this site.

Watch the video it help a little. Now I canít get anything to read on my ohms reading
Old 02-23-2021, 11:05 AM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I don't watch FiremanCV's videos anymore so I don't know how much he went into how to use the MM; here's a good video on starting out with one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF3OyQ3HwfU
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:19 PM   #11
Crazyguy1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
I don't watch FiremanCV's videos anymore so I don't know how much he went into how to use the MM; here's a good video on starting out with one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF3OyQ3HwfU

I tested all of them and they all tested Gar 1. 4.5. Gar 2. 4.4. Gar 3.4.5. Gar 4. 4.8. Gar 4.5. On the old one. Not sure whatís they test on the one I have in right now. But the one I just pulled out all tested. What I just posted. So. Not sure why it wants to miss shift or not shift at all in to 4 Gar
Old 02-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #12
Crazyguy1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyguy1990 View Post
I tested all of them and they all tested Gar 1. 4.5. Gar 2. 4.4. Gar 3.4.5. Gar 4. 4.8. Gar 4.5. On the old one. Not sure whatís they test on the one I have in right now. But the one I just pulled out all tested. What I just posted. So. Not sure why it wants to miss shift or not shift at all in to 4 Gar

So at this time Iím loss for words what to do. Now
Old 02-24-2021, 12:16 PM   #13
billr
Master Member

A reprint from (my) reply #2...

"The ISN (Input Shaft Nut) is a very common problem with these TAATs, and can cause several different shifting problems.

I always recommend using live-data to check "gear selected" and "gear commanded", along with other trans parameters. This could be something as simple as a range switch, or an engine problem that inhibits 4th."
Old 02-24-2021, 01:58 PM   #14
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Might as well cover the basics.
So, to satisfy curiosity, what do you refill your transmission with, DEXRON III compatible only, correct? Not any other DEX fluid?
And it is level full, is it clean, RED, smells more sweet, not burnt, right?
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:27 PM   #15
Crazyguy1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Might as well cover the basics.
So, to satisfy curiosity, what do you refill your transmission with, DEXRON III compatible only, correct? Not any other DEX fluid?
And it is level full, is it clean, RED, smells more sweet, not burnt, right?
Yes only use Dexron III. And itís smells more sweet and. No Burt small. And Iím trying to use a the live data. But. Not sure if Iím reading everything right on it. Iím all new to this still. And my live data device
Old 02-24-2021, 03:50 PM   #16
billr
Master Member

There may be an intimidating learning-curve with the live-data, but stick with it. It will be a valuable tool now, and in the future. What scanner are you using? Somebody here may be familiar with the equipment and be able to help you learn.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #17
Crazyguy1990

Quote:
There may be an intimidating learning-curve with the live-data, but stick with it. It will be a valuable tool now, and in the future. What scanner are you using? Somebody here may be familiar with the equipment and be able to help you learn.
Can I post pictures here if so. How??? I can post a pic of my scanner
Old 02-24-2021, 07:41 PM   #18
Crazyguy1990

ok update i drove the car with sifter in 3rd gear was working just fine when i hit 50mhps when i do and sift the car in to Drive so it can sift into 4th that's when it starts to slip when i sift it back to 3rd it work just fine

my friend that I got the car from has already replace the input shaft nut) and the VB at one time so the VB has now been replace 2 times
my friend told me again about saturnfans to try and help me and he also trying be at loss for words
Old 02-24-2021, 09:58 PM   #19
billr
Master Member

You can remove the VB and do "air checks" of all the clutches and the servo. Also, check line pressure with a gauge, using the simple "fuse pull" method. You really need to get a handle on that live-data, it can check several things that are probably not the problem, but can't be ignored and should be eliminated before going deeper into this.

The VB you have is an "unknown" as far as I am concerned; so the fact that two VBs have been tried is not a guarantee the the VB is not the problem. Hate to say it, but same goes for the ISN work. If those tubes in the side case were damaged, or a bushing at the tip of them pushed, or any number of other problems related to the side-cover/ISN created or not noticed while the ISN was tightened, then the job was ineffective.

There is some possibility that there is a wiring problem or even a bad PCM. Checking that stuff will involve some clever use of the electrical multimeter, way beyond just resistance readings. I would like to get all the "simple" things out of the way before trying to lead you into thorough checking of the wiring or PCM
Old 02-25-2021, 02:42 PM   #20
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
The VB you have is an "unknown" as far as I am concerned; so the fact that two VBs have been tried is not a guarantee the the VB is not the problem. Hate to say it, but same goes for the ISN work.
+1, can't tell you how many times someone has said, "part X is new, just replaced, so it can't be that" and jump through all kinds of hoops, then turns out new part X was defective or something
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote