SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 11-13-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
ginmf
ginmf is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2004 VUE 2.4L
Default Oxygen Sensor OBDII codes (with a TLDR Car history)

I'm in the middle of getting a "free" car back on the road. It's a 2007 Saturn ION with the 2.2L and 5 speed manual. It was my sister's car and after about 160,000 miles, the clutch wore out. Replacing a clutch isn't something she could do, and living in Minneapolis, she found that the cost to pay a mechanic was more than she wanted to pay. So, she parked the car, and bought something new. That was 2+ years ago.

It's still (thankfully) a few years out - but my kids are going to be learning how to drive. My wife and I both think that learning how to shift a manual should be part of that process - but manuals are tough to find these days. But, having an older car that's cheap and already has its share of "character" would be a perfect thing for them to learn on.

So, I towed it to my garage and went to work on the clutch. The last clutch I did was on a mid 80's Chevy sprint. Tiny, 1L 3 cylinder engine and tiny transmission. It was pretty easy and straightforward. But this ION?!?! Not an easy thing at all. Ended up pulling everything off the driver's side - wheel, drive shaft, all the suspension. Then, dropped the sub frame and then finally the transmission. Took the flywheel to get it machined - only to find out it was cracked. SO, new flywheel, new clutch slave cylinder and new clutch. But, hey - it's still free right?!

Put it all back together, bleed the clutch lines, start it up, push the clutch pedal, and held my breath while putting it in gear. It worked. Let the clutch out, and it engaged! Great success!

Go for a quick test drive, and was quickly disappointed to hear the loud growl of a blown wheel bearing - so there's another $90.

But hey free car right? RIGHT?!?!

Do the wheel bearing, and replace the front brake pads, and now she's driving really nicely. Runs good everything (except the drivers side rear window) seems to work. But, the CEL light is on.

So, here's the TLDR actual question;

I plugged in my scanner and got these error codes:
P0036 - H02S heater control circuit
P0054 - H02S heater resistance
P0138 - 02 sensor circuit high voltage.

So, I need to replace my 02 sensor, right? From my googling, there appears to be 2 sensors? One before the cat and one after. Is that true on the '07? Any advice on which to replace? Should I do both?
ginmf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Oxygen Sensor OBDII codes (with a TLDR Car history)

You are correct. Most if not every vehicle for the USA market uses a pair of O2 sensors, before and after the catalytic converter. Two for 4cyl engines, four (a pair for each bank) for 6cyl or 8cyl engines. Most labeled as sensor-1 or sensor-2 (S1, S2). The The upstream is S1, downstream of the catcon S2. B1S1-bank1, sensor1, B1S2-bank2, sensor2. Your error codes are pointing to the downstream sensor. As you may or may not know, the downstream sensor only monitors catcon efficiency and does not affect emissions control. All upstream (before the catcon) are crucial to emissions and EFI system controlling engine performance.

If women were vehicle diyers.........there'd be less money supporting dealers and repair shops but I digress. There are many men without a clue that attempt diy repairs and fail........ Oh well, life goes on.

Here's a boatload of info related to each error code. If I had access to service manuals, I'd post them in lieu of these sites that are just as accurate.

P0036

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0036

https://www.autocodes.com/p0036_satu...0engine%20load.

P0054

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0054#:~:t...tream%20sensor.

https://www.engine-codes.com/p0054_saturn.html

P0138

https://www.engine-codes.com/p0138_saturn.html

Examine overall downstream O2 sensor wiring. You can always try resetting error codes (reset function on reader/scantool, ecm/pcm fuse disconnect or battery negative disconnect) and see if they or other error codes appear. Hard errors will come back. Soft errors can go away and reappear later.

An example of soft errors were one on my precat O2 sensors triggering an error code, reset and went away until a few weeks later. I tried blaming running over snow and/or cold winter temps as the reason for this intermittent error. After several resets with spring coming around, I resigned my self to replacing it to correct the error. It was intermittent heater failure, not the sensor itself. Corrected the problem. Several months later, this repeated with the other sensor, different code, with its heater being intermittent. Replaced and those O2 sensor error codes stayed away. Both occurred around 75k miles. The original pair of downstream O2 sensors are still there, 108k miles/17 yrs. This is totally unrelated to your downstream O2 sensor but do share heater issues. The upstream heaters are used to accelerate getting these sensors above 600F quickly to minimize cold engine/rich fuel mixtures. Why they're needed on downstream sensors is a mystery to me since the catcon doesn't contribute to how the EFI system is managed - its downstream of engine controls and simply converts exhaust gases into less harmless pollution byproducts.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #3
ginmf

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2004 VUE 2.4L

I've reset the codes twice. Both times, the light stayed off the next time I started the car. But both times, the second time I started the car, the codes were back. Definitley something amiss. I'll run the car up on ramps today and see if there are any obvious wires broken or disconnected.

If not, I'll order a new downstream 02 sensor and go from there.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
focusofheart
focusofheart is just really nicefocusofheart is just really nicefocusofheart is just really nicefocusofheart is just really nice

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If women were vehicle diyers.........there'd be less money supporting dealers and repair shops but I digress. There are many men without a clue that attempt diy repairs and fail........ Oh well, life goes on.
NOTE: bold and underlined words, not part of the original quote, are for clarity.

Saturn 1998 - SL2 automatic
Singer 1952 - 301A knee driven
Singer Serger 1985 - 14U64A & 14U34B
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:49 AM   #5
ginmf

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2004 VUE 2.4L

FWIW, my sister could have done this transmission herself. She grew up with the same DIY mechanic of a dad as me. And learned by doing just like I did.

However, living in an apartment in the cities, she doesn't have the tools or the room to tackle such a project.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:15 PM   #6
ginmf

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2004 VUE 2.4L

Well, turned out to be the upstream 02 sensor. Replaced that and no more CEL.

On to the next issue. The drivers window on this 4 door will go down just fine - but tilts forward when rolling up.

Took the outer door panel off and found that the rear plastic bushing had broken in 1/2. I took the two pieces, measured what they should have been, modeled a new one in solidworks and 3d Printed a replacement.

Just installed it and it works fine.

However! I think I just fixed a symptom - not the real problem. Should there be some sort of limit switch on these windows? The front passenger side window seems to stop when it gets to the top whether you hold the button or not. But the driver's side? I can hear the window motor struggling when the window gets to the top.

Any ideas on what is going on here? I'm guessing that there should be a mechanism to stop the window when it gets to the top. Whatever that is failed and that's why the slider bushing broke. I'm guessing that unless I'm very careful - that bushing is going to break again if I don't fix the issue.