SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 12-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
warrenc
warrenc is on a distinguished road

Default ABS wheel speed sensor

I have the occasional ABS/ Trac Off light situation. Scanned for codes and LR ABS sensor comes up, so I am assuming it's going bad. It also appears I have to buy the whole hub/ bearing assembly to replace it.
So the question is, who has had to do this and is there a way to clean the sensor or should I just order up a new one?
Thanks in advance for any insight
warrenc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: ABS wheel speed sensor

buy a new one, I believe they're sealed, so no cleaning.
2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
warrenc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
buy a new one, I believe they're sealed, so no cleaning.
Thanks, I guess
I figured that was the case, but I thought I'd ask!
I should just save myself the frustration and order one before I tear it apart, then. No reason to do it twice!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Assuming your E-Brake isn't set/sticking... (which will override/default you to Trac Off Mode)

Picked up a couple AC Delco replacements on eBay for my 2003 ION when one of my Bearings went bad... got a great price on them but it took some hunting. (There are a LOT of "compatible" assemblies out there.)

Use various search terms to get a good match.
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
warrenc

Thanks for the advice. No E-brake sticking, so I think I'm stuck.

I've checked around a bunch before I started this thread and found Rock Auto has it for $68 plus shipping. From what I've seen, that's pretty reasonable, so i ordered it.
Hopefully it will be a painless install. I picked this car up a few weeks ago as a surprise Christmas gift for my daughter. I want it to be right when I give it to her, so I've gone through just about everything in the car from spark plugs to tires and wheels. Only thing left is front brakes (they can wait for a while), ignition switch (just to avoid future problems, and it's cheap), and this.

She returns from India on Monday, and I think she'll be really surprised! Then she will drive it like it's an appliance and it will never be clean again!
I'll be lucky to get it back for a day to change the oil or to do a brake job, which I do for free, of course!
Old 12-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I can't be certain but I'm partly suggesting that a sticky E-brake "might" be causing the Left Rear ABS sensor to leave a code and disable Trac Control. (Assuming the E-brake is restricting movement of the LR Wheel...)

For clarity, what code(s) did you find? Might support/shoot down my Hypothesis.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #7
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenc View Post
Thanks for the advice. No E-brake sticking, so I think I'm stuck.

I've checked around a bunch before I started this thread and found Rock Auto has it for $68 plus shipping.
Is that for an AC Delco or "no name" assembly? Depending on your shipping that is around what I paid on eBay for an AC Delco Hub Assembly.

RE: Oil Changes

Well nice thing with the ION is the "drop in" Oil Filter Cartridge... So if she uses the Oil Life Monitor (and some good Oil) and wants to "extend" the change Interval a little... Putting in a fresh oil filter is simple and might provide the needed "boost" for the Oil to survive a bit longer till it makes it back to you.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #8
warrenc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post
Is that for an AC Delco or "no name" assembly? Depending on your shipping that is around what I paid on eBay for an AC Delco Hub Assembly.

RE: Oil Changes

Well nice thing with the ION is the "drop in" Oil Filter Cartridge... So if she uses the Oil Life Monitor (and some good Oil) and wants to "extend" the change Interval a little... Putting in a fresh oil filter is simple and might provide the needed "boost" for the Oil to survive a bit longer till it makes it back to you.
That was for a GMB replacement part, not AC/Delco.
Raybestos and Timken had a few on there for a few more $'s.
The codes that came up at my friend's shop (going from memory here.....) I think were 045 and 046 (maybe 1045 and 1046), basically saying the same thing; ABS wheel sensor illogical reading, or something to that effect. It's pretty random at this point (about every third time I drive the car) but I'm sure it's going to get worse.
As for oil changes, I used Mobil 1 and yes, the oil filter is convenient to change! Actually, not unlike my Mercedes.
I should be able to use my Mity Vac to evacuate the oil and never have to crawl under the car again! (As if that will happen. I'll be under there for something, I just know it!)
Old 12-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #9
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
As for oil changes, I used Mobil 1 and yes, the oil filter is convenient to change! Actually, not unlike my Mercedes.
I should be able to use my Mity Vac to evacuate the oil and never have to crawl under the car again! (As if that will happen. I'll be under there for something, I just know it!)
While I've used Mobil 1 before... I've never tried Mobil 1 Extended Performance (have you?) which might fit the bill nicely if you aren't going to get your hands on the car frequently. With an up to 15,000 mile/1 year change interval just pop in a fresh filter maybe at the halfway/Oil Life Reset and as long as she checks/tops off the oil occasionally... She won't have to bug you until something falls off the car.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:01 AM   #10
warrenc

No, in fact I've never used Mobil 1 before! I've always used the Cheveron 15/40 we use at work for our trucks. (Hey, it's free and it's good oil....)
But it seemed the Ecotec and my Mercedes were both insisting on low viscosity synthetic oil, and Costco had a coupon....
Anyway, as I see it, I have a better chance of seeing my daughter if she needs her oil changed more often than every 15K miles!
I can deal with an oil change every 5 to 8K miles, that's simple stuff. I just hate to hear "Dad, it's making a funny noise..." or "Dad, the car won't start and there's a funny noise..."
OR..."Dad, I just rear ended somebody...."
Those are the rough days, and it usually happens when I'm 100 miles away working!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

if you use other methods to evacuate the oil, keep in mind these use 5 quarts or so, if you don't get that much out, getting under the car might be a good idea. mobil 1 is a good oil for these cars in many ways, especially if you plan on using the olm system (which I recommend highly). also, 5W30 or 0W30, nothing thicker or thinner, these engines are built to a pretty tight set of tolerances, and don't leave much room for different viscosities.
2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
warrenc

That is the problem on some cars (and lawn mowers, it turns out) with this method. If you can reach the bottom of the sump, it works great though!
Old 12-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
warrenc

Back to the original subject, does anyone have the torque specs or perhaps a blow up from the service manual of the hub assembly on the rear axle?
Old 12-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #14
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Back to the original subject, does anyone have the torque specs or perhaps a blow up from the service manual of the hub assembly on the rear axle?
According to the Chilton Manual... (Which I've checked out from the local Library)
Rear hub/bearing nuts (The illustration shows 4)
Step 1: 37 Ft-lbs (50 Nm)
Step 2: Tighten an additional 30-degrees.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #15
warrenc

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to know!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #16
warrenc

Got the parts in the mail today (Thanks, Rock Auto), and was thinking I might have time to get it done on Friday before surprising my daughter on Christmas!
Stupid question: Do I have to remove the rear brakes to get this done?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #17
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

if you can change the hub without removing at least the drum, you're better than me, lol. It all really depends on how much the hub fights you. my sister's car put up a heck of a fight, so it was well worth it to make sure nothing fragile/reusable was in the way. it also helped me get to the mating surface/part so I could more gently/easily pry the hub from the knuckle.
2007 Saturn Ion 2

Old 12-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #18
warrenc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
if you can change the hub without removing at least the drum, you're better than me, lol. It all really depends on how much the hub fights you. my sister's car put up a heck of a fight, so it was well worth it to make sure nothing fragile/reusable was in the way. it also helped me get to the mating surface/part so I could more gently/easily pry the hub from the knuckle.
That would be a good trick, for sure!
I've developed a real aversion to drum brakes over the years, I just hate dealing with them anymore.....
Disc brakes are such a superior design.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:06 AM   #19
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I agree, I dread the day I have to work on them on this car. I've owned mostly 4 wheel disk cars until my ions...

I think it's like the fact gm didn't light any of the switches on the dors or steering wheel, they could have sold so many more cars with them on there at a minimal cost, but they decided to "cheap out" instead...
2007 Saturn Ion 2