SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 11-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
maxsideburn
maxsideburn is on a distinguished road

Default DIY low-pressure turbo build?

I've seen countless shade-tree mechanics with mig welders slap together cheap little turbo systems on little econo boxes for a few hundred bucks. Anyone ever try something like this with an SL1?

I recently sold an 03 Mustang GT and downgraded to a 98 SL1 that I paid cash for, just so I could start being more cautious with my money. My SL has only 75k original miles and the motor is strong so I know it could handle a little boost. My thinking is to just grab some turbo parts from a salvage yard and slap something together to push about 6psi or so.

Hell even if it only gave me an extra 30hp I'll be it'd be fun. Especially when my "granny mobile" smokes the Civic with the bodykit and big speakers that lines up with me at a redlight, hah.
maxsideburn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: DIY low-pressure turbo build?

It's been proven that a SOHC on boost makes as much power as a stock DOHC. Heck, your 30+hp figure puts you in the range of a stock DOHC w/ bolt-on's
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Ikiris
Advanced Member
Ikiris is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

yes, this is a bad idea. My SC2 with NOTHING extra, smokes hatchback civics with sticker hood scoops annd big rims(although the big rims is probably what made him so slow). But theres this kid i see almost every night. I just laugh and laugh at him, has a hatchback civic, with front bumper/rear bumper/side skirts, 2 spoilers, annnnd painted flat black with a spray can. Oh and the reallllly loud muffler so i can always hear where he is in the city lol.
04 Vue 3.5L V6 AWD 297000 km
00 Impala LS 3.8 V6 Loaded 262000 km SOLD
98 SC2 5speed-265000 km SOLD
Ikiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
maxsideburn

Actually even in stock form the SOHC SL doesn't seem THAT slow. I've driven much, MUCH slower vehicles. Honestly it feels about the same as a first generation Miata with an auto trans.

Thinking about locating a 5-speed DOHC SL for myself and handing off the SL1 to my retired mother who needs a set of wheels. I've never driven one, but I'll bet the little SL2 with a manual tranny moves pretty good for an econo box.

Keep in mind that I'm coming from a 260hp Mustang, and just passed up a BMW 325i because I'm digging these little Saturns so much. But that's me, I like a challenge, and a cheap project, lol.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsideburn View Post
DOHC SL
uh... what?

Quote:
Keep in mind that I'm coming from a 260hp Mustang, and just passed up a BMW 325i because I'm digging these little Saturns so much. But that's me, I like a challenge, and a cheap project, lol.
Honestly, you're going to find that turboing a non-turboed car is going to be a challenge (no doubt), but it's not going to be cheap. If I were you I would've just kept the Mustang for weekend/spirited/etc drives and use your Saturn as a daily driver, and appreciate both cars for what they are.
97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
maxsideburn

Mustang doesn't make sense to keep around as a weekend car when you owe $9000 on it and insurance is nearly $100 a month.

I'm married, 29 years old, and have an 18 month old baby girl. Maybe in a few years I'll get back into sports cars, but for now the idea of saving money that can be put toward my house or things we need is more appealing. Can I afford the Mustang? Sure, no problem at all, but why keep it around just to suck money? Know what I mean?

As for the post topic it was just an idea, which I've pretty much already abandoned. I'll either just stick with the SL1 or try to find an SL2 later on.

(DOHC SL obviously refers to an SL2, whereas SOHC would refer to an SL1)
Old 11-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
uh... what?
SL is just the series, its referred to this way all the time
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCraig View Post
SL is just the series, its referred to this way all the time
yeah, was gonna say, DOHC and SL don't go together, since the SL has a SOHC engine by default and ZERO options.

nitpicking aside, max, my point was that all the money you'd be spending into turboing a Saturn, you could've spent it on a V8 car and already have the HP/torque ready to go.. I'm sure for at least four grand you can find something decent on craig's list... also, $100/mo to insure a Mustang? DAAAAAAAAAAAMN... wish the insurance on my Saturn was that low, but alas I'm currently paying $145/mo.. so much for cheap on insurance eh In any case Max, I can also understand where you're coming from on this too.
97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
Old 11-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
kaptnjack
kaptnjack will become famous soon enoughkaptnjack will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
1994 SL2

Quote:
Mustang doesn't make sense to keep around as a weekend car when you owe $9000 on it and insurance is nearly $100 a month.

I'm married, 29 years old, and have an 18 month old baby girl. Maybe in a few years I'll get back into sports cars, but for now the idea of saving money that can be put toward my house or things we need is more appealing. Can I afford the Mustang? Sure, no problem at all, but why keep it around just to suck money? Know what I mean?

As for the post topic it was just an idea, which I've pretty much already abandoned. I'll either just stick with the SL1 or try to find an SL2 later on.

(DOHC SL obviously refers to an SL2, whereas SOHC would refer to an SL1)
smart guy for 29
92 SL2 A/T white
93 SL1 man burgundy
93 SL2 A/T turquoise
94 SL1 man medium blue
94 SL2 A/T gold
95 SW2 A/T white (daily driver)
97 SL2 A/T gold
99 SW1 A/T green
95 SW2 man gold
kaptnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
SLCraig
Master Member

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptnjack View Post
smart guy for 29
Hey now I'm 29 as well.
I don't think I'm all that stupid
(I traded my SOHC for a DOHC) haha
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
Old 11-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
maxsideburn

ok, so power is scrapped....just gonna worry about handling for now. that means good tires and a refreshed suspension.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
SLCraig
Master Member

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
ok, so power is scrapped....just gonna worry about handling for now. that means good tires and a refreshed suspension.
You should put the $ into an SL2.. you can buy one for like $500 and do all the upgrades then. Of course that is just my opinion.
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
Old 11-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
maxsideburn

like to know where you found a decent SL2 for $500

I paid $1750 for my SL1, but it had low miles and was in excellent condition for its age.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

These $500 cars appear in forum myths all the time, but I've yet to see a Chicagoland Craigslist ad for a DOHC described in running condition for even close to that. $1,200 maybe, and that's probably one with severe undercarriage rust (95 and earlier).
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #15
saturnsl293
Advanced Member
saturnsl293 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

the mythical $500 cars would be those ones people just want to get rid of that need some minor work and have that "strangely burning oil" problem and they don't realize that the s-series just burn by design and most of the "problems" can be fixed for maybe 100 or so unless its something like a thrown diff pin or seized engine which would depend on if you had a spare already sitting around
car bought 12/15/07
car MIA as of 7/29/09, recovered 8/5/09
saturnsl293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #16
maxsideburn

i'm thrilled with my low-mileage SL1 grab for $1750. Around here that's an excellent deal for a small car in good mechanical condition.

I see $500 cars every day, but they're garbage and not worth the work. I bought my little Saturn primarily because it was a deal I couldn't pass up on with the intentions of handing it on to my retired mother for hitting up the local shops, but now I think I'm going to have to hang onto it and find a little Civic or something for her. I've had those before, the little S-series is quite honestly more fun to drive.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #17
Threeshot223
Threeshot223 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Why not get a motorcycle? You sold the Mustang to save cash that you are now planning to dump into making an economy, base-edition sedan into something serving the same purpose as a Mustang.

I went down the same road as you, almost literally. I sold a twin-turbo 1988 LX Mustang to buy a 1996 SL2. My commute got tripled to almost 150 miles a day and fueling my vehicle every day was not a very attractive proposition, not to mention the less-than-awesome reliability of a home-built twin turbo setup mated to an automatic transmission. So, I sold it. I missed the speed and power at first, then I realized why I bought the Saturn- to save money, in the form of fuel and maintenance.

I missed the speed so I kept an eye on Craigslist for a while and ended up finding a Kawasaki Ninja a guy was selling for $200. It didn't run but I bought it anyways. Bought a service manual, spent a lot of time on Google, and eventually I had that bike running like it was brand new, for about a hundred bucks in parts.

That was four years ago. I still have both the Saturn and the motorcycle, and I'm happy with both.
The Saturn does it's job- takes me from Point A to Point B with near-flawless reliability, sips gas, and costs me nothing other than routine fluid changes and the occasional gremlin to be expected on a 160k mile car.
The Ninja does it's job too- sips gas, doesn't cost me too much to operate but will just about flip me off the back if I pin the throttle in 1st.

If I spent all my time trying to make my Saturn into something it wasn't and never could be, I'd be out far more money and completely miserable with a car that traded all its economy and reliability for minor power gains that would never approach what anyone would consider a performance vehicle.

I realize this is a forum, and I don't know you and you don't know me, but it's just some advice I wanted to offer after trying to do the same thing.
Threeshot223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
maxsideburn

no I totally understand what you're saying.

That's why I'm not talking about forged internals, bodykits, 19" wheels, engine computers, and all kinds of other stuff.

I think with the tiny amount of money I spent purchasing the Saturn though, I have a few bucks to play with. So a refreshed suspension, some decent wheels, and a hella good tuneup should not only make the car more fun to drive but shouldn't really cost that much. I'm hoping to pick up a set of sporty wheels (with tires) on Craigslist for next to nothing.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #19
Jake-Sl2
Jake-Sl2 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

I paid $500 for my 94 SL2 with 110k on the clock. Runs awesome and see no smoke,knocks,ticks or pings. It needed a radiator ($67) through my company. Been driving the car now for about 2 months maybe 3 and it never left me stranded and i drive about 300 miles a week.
1994 Saturn SL2
Jake-Sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #20
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
like to know where you found a decent SL2 for $500
In California, usually. No joke.
97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS