SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 07-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
macman90
macman90 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Lights wiring questions

Well, my latest idea for a simple project is do add a feature the car should probably have anyway, making the side markers turn signals. Before I do this I have a few questions. First off, I know the brown wire is the hot wire for the side marker, but which of the three wires going into the turnsignal/parking light is the hot wire for the signal? My L200 has a blue wire, a brown wire and a black wire going in, so which makes the turn signal go? Second, I know that if I splice and connect the hot wires for the side marker and the signal that it will make the side marker flash when it is not already on, but what if my headlights are on and the side marker is already on? can I put a relay or something on the connection to make the bulb go from steady on to flashing while the turn signal is on? Thanks!
macman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
born again
born again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to all

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Re: Lights wiring questions

There are excellent instructions on how to do this on www.danielsternlighting.com

I have done this, but used the FSM to track the wiring. I believe that the black wire is the ground for all circuits on this car.
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
macman90

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

So basically all I have to do is disconnect the grounds from the sidemarkers and replace them with feeds from the turn signal hot wire correct? Which wire is the hot wire for the turn signal? blue or brown? What is the FSM?
Old 07-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
born again
born again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to all

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I had to go downstairs to get my notes.

Referring to DSL page "Flashing Sidemarker Lamps"-
The Parking Lamp Feed is brown
The Ground is Black
The Left Turn Signal Feed is Light Blue
The Right Turn Signal Feed is Dark Brown

These colours apply to model year (MY) 2000. Other years may be different.

FSM stands for Factory Service Manual

To do this mod you cut the black (ground) wire at each side marker light and feed it from the respective turn signal feed instead.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
macman90

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'm pretty sure on mine both sides have the blue wire, so thats probably the one. When you did yours did you go and buy the little plastic splicer connectors or just strip the wires twist them and electrical tape?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
born again

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Strip, solder, and heat-shrink tubing is the best. Please don't tell me this is too much trouble. These connections at the front of the car are constantly exposed to water and salt. In the back of the car, say inside the trunk for a trailer light hookup, I use strip, tight wrap, and tight tape.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
macman90

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Well I went to try it, heres what happened:

I purchased 18 Gauge wire and some of those plastic trailer taps to do the wiring. I went in and did it, it was nice and clean, then I went to fire up a turn signal and the problems began. First, I blew two fuses, then I had to go down to the dealer and spend $30 to replace the switch for the signals and hazard flashers cause that was fried. I couldn't believe it, its not like I did a crummy job. Any ideas as to why things went so badly? I now have removed the mods and the wiring is back to its original state. I really want to do this though so please chime in with any ideas.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
born again

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

This has all the symptoms of a dead short to ground. It appears your wire colours may be different from those on my 2000, or something else in your installation went wrong. All I can tell you is that I followed Daniel Stern's diagram and they work perfectly.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
macman90

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My original plan for this mod was to leave the grounding wire intact for the sidemarker and just splice the hot wire from the signal into the hot wire for the side marker with some sort or relay or something in between that would make the sidemarker flash when it was already on, would that work? I know without the relay or whatever it would work only when the sidemarkers were off.