SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line

Old 06-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
mcentyre
mcentyre is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Vue Greenline Drive Belt

My A/C compressor is bad and I was looking at replacing it. I'm stuck on removing the drive belt. Any tips? It looks like a spring compressor is needed to remove the tension form the belt. I'd like to hear from anyone else that worked on one.
mcentyre is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2007 Vue Greenline Drive Belt

Out of warranty? Look up parts on rockauto.com for a picture of the belt tensioner. Its just a spring loaded tensioner on a pivot arm that needs a square drive inserted into it to leverage it out of the way then the belt falls off. Either a square drive like a 3/8ths on the end of a ratchet or a hex bolt to grab with an open/box wrench.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
mcentyre

The problem is that it looks like in addition to moving the tensioner, you also have to compress a spring that puts added pressure. Since this is the hybrid, the alternator also acts as a starter and needs that extra tension. The tensioner can't be moved without compressing the spring. I'm trying to find the best way to do that. The dealer has a tool, but they don't sell it.

Unfortuately, yes. It is out of warranty.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, from your description, that's out of my league. But take a look at this;

this is from saturnparts.net diagram. I hate drawings!? Not enough detail to understand what's what.
Attached Images
File Type: gif IH07040.gif (4.4 KB, 100 views)
VCX NANO
Old 06-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
mcentyre

That's it. That spring you see there is what I need to compress in order to remove the belt. Here's a drawing that shows the tool in place.

Is there another application for this type of spring compressor? I've seen one before but it was smaller and I can't remember the exact application.

Thanks for looking!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Saturn_belt.gif (15.4 KB, 120 views)
Old 06-13-2009, 03:51 AM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Would you be able to take some pictures (please review them carefully before uploading) and post them? If you cannot because of new member restrictions then upload them to another site and type a link to it. There's always another way to solving some unusual issues like this oddball spring compressor. All it takes is some ingenuity.

Since this is becoming involved, may I ask how it was determined that the compressor failed? It seems a bit premature after only 2yrs of use.
VCX NANO
Old 06-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
mcentyre

I took the car to a local mechanic and he diagnosed the failed compressor. I have a friend who is a little more gear headed than I take look at it with me. We determined that the bolt holding the clutch plate had sheared off and the compressor isn't locked up. The plated happened to be laying on the frame. We are going to first reattach the plate as we don't know if that is the cause of the problem or a symptom. We'll need to move the compressor around a bit so that we can extract the sheared boldt. Unfortunately, I've already purchased a compressor and dryer and they weren't cheap. Hopefully I won't need them...

As far as removing the drive belt goes, I called Saturn regarding the special tool. It is in part of tool kit they have for working on their hybrids, but it is not available for sale (handy!). I also called snap-on they had nothing.

So ... I got to work and fashioned my own spring compressor. It ain't pretty, but it works. I suppose a proper sized C-clamp may work, but I wouldn't want to be close to it if it came off. Attached is a picture with my spring compressor attached. I wasn't going for beauty here .. just functionality.

I haven't went further than testing the clamp as my mechanic friend wasn't here. I'll update as to our progress.

Thanks for helping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0311.jpg (196.0 KB, 177 views)
Old 06-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

That's a work of art! Nothing like reverse engineering to make your own tools.

You might find some pictures helpful in my my photo library that I recently created. I don't know if your compressor is similar. The disassembled one uses a female splined clutch hub to attach to the male spline shaft, maybe an 8mm bolt as it took a 10mm bolt to use as a clutch plate remover. The clutch pics are at the end of the file.
VCX NANO
Old 06-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I'm curious, how many miles are on your GreenLine? For a 2yr vehicle, one would think that it's still under warranty.
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
mcentyre

Fifty some odd thousand miles.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #11
mcentyre

fdryer, how do I get to your photo gallery?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #12
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcentyre View Post
Fifty some odd thousand miles.
WOW!!!! That's a lot of driving for 2 years Did it ever rest? What was the factory warranty on the powertrain 3/36 or 5/60?
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:39 AM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcentyre View Post
fdryer, how do I get to your photo gallery?Thanks!
Click on "fdryer's Photos" under my name and it'll link to my photos immediately.

Right
Here
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
VCX NANO
Old 06-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #14
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin05VUE View Post
WOW!!!! That's a lot of driving for 2 years Did it ever rest? What was the factory warranty on the powertrain 3/36 or 5/60?
It's 5/60 for the powertrain, but the A/C compressor doesn't fall under powertrain.

That's a great homemade tool! Hope the repair goes smoothly. If our compressor conks out, I'll rent it from you.
Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
talk2micc
talk2micc is on a distinguished road

I have the same A/C Compressor failure at the 50k mark as well. I can get another compressor, but does anyone know where I can get the spring that is mentioned in this thread. I don't even know what to call it. I've tried to find a part # under dampener, tensioner, anything to do with the belt drive ... with no luck. The shaft inside this spring has snapped on mine.
Thank you
talk2micc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #16
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
That's a work of art! Nothing like reverse engineering to make your own tools. .
Reminds me of the AC clutch removal tool I had to make to replace the one on my SC. I saw a pic of this special tool in the technical manual and improvised one...

I later asked the dealer if they had this tool, and they did not. I thought the Saturn dealers would buy every specialized tool to work on their cars. The Saturn parts guy said that most all these tools are in tool heaven and dealers make do with the bare minimum of specialized tools...
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote