SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 04-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
blueastraboy
blueastraboy is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Opel astra grille & badge?

hey there guys, i recently just traded in my audi a6 and hopped into a 2008 twilight blue 3dr saturn astra xr. Just few questions im stumped on:
has anyone debadged the saturn sign from the back? i was thinking of doing it, but i donno if the saturn emblem is glued on the back, or if it has pins in the back. anyone shed some light?
also, the opel astra grills from europe, do they fit perfectly onto the saturn astra 3dr? im asking because i want to get an opel astra grille. Anyone know any links to buy them?
Has anyone done these mods to their astras yet?

Help is much appreciated !!!
blueastraboy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Opel astra grille & badge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueastraboy View Post
hey there guys, i recently just traded in my audi a6 and hopped into a 2008 twilight blue 3dr saturn astra xr. Just few questions im stumped on:
has anyone debadged the saturn sign from the back? i was thinking of doing it, but i donno if the saturn emblem is glued on the back, or if it has pins in the back. anyone shed some light?
also, the opel astra grills from europe, do they fit perfectly onto the saturn astra 3dr? im asking because i want to get an opel astra grille. Anyone know any links to buy them?
Has anyone done these mods to their astras yet?

Help is much appreciated !!!
These have been discussed in a million threads on here, a bit of searching will pull them up, but here we go again

The badges are stuck on with double sided tape, not pins. You can get them off easily with a bit of heat or using fishing line etc to pry it off then wash off any remaining tape residue. You could even use a credit card etc but i dont suggest that as first method so you dont scratch your paint. All the badges are on with double sided tape.

The grills are a direct fit provided you buy a 5 DOOR FACELIFT Grill. This means a 5 DOOR grill from a 2008 Astra across the way. Has to look exactly like ours (same chrome all around) then you know it fits. The ones with the black slats will NOT fit right. They are 2007 and earlier grills, before they changed the shape of the front bumper. Even the 3 door here (Saturn) uses the 5 door grill, because we all have the 5 door front bumpers on our cars here, regardless if you have a 3 door. Made it easier for Saturn that way to just implement the one front bumper since it fits on both cars. The rears are different due to different angles of the hatch.

As for links, your best cheapest place is ebay at the moment, but keep in mind you dont see them readily available like the 2007 and prior grills which WONT fit your car perfectly and if you buy one you will be complaining about a gap left over.

As for anyone doing these mods, many of us on here have done them, and im sure someone will be along to confirm their experiences as well.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forums, and enjoy your Astra
~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
mdcclxxvi
Advanced Member
mdcclxxvi is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

for anyone interested, I can get the front grille, and rear badge for roughly $250. PM me if you're interested.
Project 8888
www.usAstra.com
mdcclxxvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
djmtz1
djmtz1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

what is PM?
djmtz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
mdcclxxvi
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmtz1 View Post
what is PM?
private message
Project 8888
www.usAstra.com
Old 04-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
JaySki
JaySki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcclxxvi View Post
for anyone interested, I can get the front grille, and rear badge for roughly $250. PM me if you're interested.
What about the Wheel center pieces?
JaySki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
mdcclxxvi
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

those too, depending on what size your wheel is.
Project 8888
www.usAstra.com
Old 04-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
Germane German
Germane German is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2006 VUE 3.5L

And just to anticipate the next question (from the million threads Layoira mentioned) the steering wheel center logo/piece is integral to the air bag system so a change out of the logo isn't possible but either an Opel or Vauxhall one that is large enough to cover the stock Saturn logo may be available. (How did I do working from memory?) ;>)
Germane German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
mdcclxxvi
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germane German View Post
And just to anticipate the next question (from the million threads Layoira mentioned) the steering wheel center logo/piece is integral to the air bag system so a change out of the logo isn't possible but either an Opel or Vauxhall one that is large enough to cover the stock Saturn logo may be available. (How did I do working from memory?) ;>)
That's also correct. However, if somebody wants to spend the $800-$1000 on the new airbag for the logo, I'd applaud your dedication to the rebadging
Project 8888
www.usAstra.com
Old 04-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germane German View Post
Exactly Badges fit over. But if anyone wants to replace the airbag for a built in logo lol by all means lol. You can get them on ebay but I dont know if I would trust an airbag second hand part.
~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)
Old 04-13-2009, 09:44 PM   #11
astraglide
astraglide is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoira View Post
Exactly Badges fit over. But if anyone wants to replace the airbag for a built in logo lol by all means lol. You can get them on ebay but I don't know if I would trust an airbag second hand part.
I found my Opel steering wheel badge on ebay.co.uk and dremeled out the Saturn logo, and left the outer ring then super glued the new badge. Worth the ten bucks I paid. Sorry I couldn't attach an image for some reason but I have it posted in the members gallery.

saturnfans.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/50605
astraglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #12
titan12
titan12 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraglide View Post
I found my Opel steering wheel badge on ebay.co.uk and dremeled out the Saturn logo, and left the outer ring then super glued the new badge. Worth the ten bucks I paid. Sorry I couldn't attach an image for some reason but I have it posted in the members gallery.

if the bag goes off won't the glued on badge fly into your face??
titan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
astraglide
astraglide is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan12 View Post
if the bag goes off won't the glued on badge fly into your face??
Not if you use a couple of drops of super glue or adhesive tape, the Saturn original is only stuck on with 3M adhesive tape and locating pins. So I am not concerned at all.
astraglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:34 AM   #14
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Not if you use a couple of drops of super glue or adhesive tape, the Saturn original is only stuck on with 3M adhesive tape and locating pins. So I am not concerned at all.
Yeah your glued on badge is no different than saturns glued on badge. They all stick on to the air bag vinyl casing. It just the opel one on the original the bolt part of the blitz is outside of the edges of the circle. hardly worth swapping the airbag to a used one for, when you can just stick on a new badge.
Perfectly the same, I wouldnt worry about it flying into your face anymoreso since its no different. But the badge flying off that would be the least of your worries if you had reason for your airbag to go off!
~Christina~
Old 04-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #15
Merrimack2002
Merrimack2002 is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: Opel astra grille & badge?

do it! its the best change I have ever done, no offense to Saturn but the car looks better as an Opel , google Vinteq limited they can import you an entire grill from Germany whether for a 3 door, 5-door or to get the desired Opel OPC look. removing the grille is extremly easy and the back badge requires goo gone, fishing wire, hair dryer, your nails, and plenty of patience- good thing is its just glued on! you can also check out EBAY as they have plenty of Opel acessories badges and grilles. good luck!
Merrimack2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #16
Merrimack2002

If you do get a new grille you will need to drill new holes since the Opels grill is not as high up as the Saturn the holes on the Opel grill that is will not align to the Saturn holes. But this is an east fix just get a drill that will drill through metal once your Opel grille arrives. also the clips on the bottom of the grill may not align with the clips from the saturn that is the already made holes where the clips go, you may need to snap off one or two clips that will not fit .
Old 04-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #17
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrimack2002 View Post
If you do get a new grille you will need to drill new holes since the Opels grill is not as high up as the Saturn the holes on the Opel grill that is will not align to the Saturn holes. But this is an east fix just get a drill that will drill through metal once your Opel grille arrives. also the clips on the bottom of the grill may not align with the clips from the saturn that is the already made holes where the clips go, you may need to snap off one or two clips that will not fit .
No you dont need to drill anything if you buy the Right grill. You either didnt buy a 5 door grill (even for the 3 door) or you bought a pre facelift grill. If you bought the right grill you wouldnt have had that problem.
~Christina~
Old 04-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #18
mdcclxxvi
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoira View Post
No you dont need to drill anything if you buy the Right grill. You either didnt buy a 5 door grill (even for the 3 door) or you bought a pre facelift grill. If you bought the right grill you wouldnt have had that problem.
true story
Project 8888
www.usAstra.com
Old 04-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #19
szylak66
szylak66 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:

That looks great. Now I just need to find a Vauxhall steering wheel badge.
szylak66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #20
Merrimack2002

Post Re: Opel astra grille & badge?

ahhh, either way it was only about a 1/4 inch below the original holes, the grille looks fine, but your point is an important one to mention when buying one of these grilles.