SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
XRoc
Junior Member
XRoc is on a distinguished road
 
XRoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester,NY
Posts: 37
 

2007 AURA XR
Default Custom stereo

Does anyone have a custom stereo system in their car, if so what do u have and how did u do it. I have an audiocontrol converter so i can keep my factory head unit, power accoustik sl5500 amp, extra yellow top battery and a 15inch hifonics goliath speaker 6400 watts max, 3200 rms. Pics soon to come
XRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
MidnightBlueXR
Junior Member
MidnightBlueXR is on a distinguished road
 
MidnightBlueXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 29

2008 Astra XR
2007 AURA XR
Thumbs Up Re: Custom stereo

I was thinking of adding a small sub, maybe one 12"

I was going to use this adapter to send audio from the factory head unit to the amp:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=9381

I was also considering adding full Ipod control with this:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=8687
MidnightBlueXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
zielinab
Member
zielinab is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 196
 

2008 Outlook XR
Default Re: Custom stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueXR View Post
I was thinking of adding a small sub, maybe one 12"

I was going to use this adapter to send audio from the factory head unit to the amp:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=9381

I was also considering adding full Ipod control with this:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=8687
Keep us updated please. I was thinking my GL could use a little more kick too...
zielinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
dettlej
Member
dettlej is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 88
Default Re: Custom stereo

I installed a custom sound system. REally not that hard if you have the right wiring diagram. Someone posted a GM diagram on here and it was close enough to follow and get everything running. I ended up just splicing the speaker wires out of the harness into the amps.

I am running 1000 watt fosgate for my 2 10" aplines and a kenwood 800 watt for the speakers. btw, sounds great with almost no rattling, I was thinking I might not even have to dynomat the car!
dettlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
mr weather
Senior Member
mr weather is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 1,918
 
Default Re: Custom stereo

Sounds (heh, no pun intended) pretty good!

Just curious: where did you grab power to run those amps?
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
dettlej
Member
dettlej is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 88
Default Re: Custom stereo

Ran straight from the battery... and btw, GOOD LUCK getting though the firewall. Took me close to an hour to get through that damn thing. Remote wire was pretty tricky as well since I could not find (even with a multimeter) so I ran it off the ac controls. So once again, might have been smart to wait until I got the actual diagram, but it works so I am happy.
dettlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:13 PM   #7
mr weather
Senior Member
mr weather is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 1,918
 
Default Re: Custom stereo

Cool.

I just bought an XR tonight (see other thread for the update) and am figuring out how to run power to the trunk for my ham radio gear.

My ION was easy: battery was in the trunk.

In terms of finding a switchable lead, are the power outlets always on? If not, you could've grabbed it from there.
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:26 PM   #8
dettlej
Member
dettlej is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 88
Default Re: Custom stereo

I agree, I had an irl, so ya, with the battery in the trunk it was cake. This would still be easy, just run power under the door sills, but damn that firewall. Was the hardest part of the install, that and guessing the wiring schema I guess.

But the power outlets showed power always on, so that would have killed battery life and the computer would never shut off. If you are still going to do it and there still isnt a diagram out, let me know and i will dig up the diagram I used.
dettlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
FeeD_BaK
Member
FeeD_BaK is on a distinguished road
 
FeeD_BaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 85

2007 AURA XE
Default Re: Custom stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dettlej View Post
I agree, I had an irl, so ya, with the battery in the trunk it was cake. This would still be easy, just run power under the door sills, but damn that firewall. Was the hardest part of the install, that and guessing the wiring schema I guess.

But the power outlets showed power always on, so that would have killed battery life and the computer would never shut off. If you are still going to do it and there still isnt a diagram out, let me know and i will dig up the diagram I used.
Do you still have that diagram?
I want to make sure I got it right. I used an adapter and just guessed with the wiring in the back. I guessed that the darker of the two was negative and lighter positive. Hope its right....sounds ok so.....

also where did all of you go through the firewall. I could not find anywhere. I had to go through the front fender through the foam and in the door where the wires go through to the inside. So it is not sealed anymore. Not sure if that will be an issue or not. Wish I could have found a place for the wire in the firewall. The power cable is 8 or so gage. It is a powerbass amp 2000W running 2 12" pioneers.
...
FeeD_BaK
2007 Silver Aura XE
FeeD_BaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:31 AM   #10
liquidslap
Member
liquidslap is on a distinguished road
 
liquidslap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Taylor, MI
Posts: 419
 

2007 AURA XR
2007
Default Re: Custom stereo

I have a sound system I want to sell. Let me know if you are interested.

(2) 12" Kicker Solobaric L5s
(1) Kicker 1200.1 amp (benched at 1480w rms)
(1) JVC Arsenal head unit (MP3 and Sirius ready)
(2) Sunvisor monitors
(1) 1.5 farad capacitor
liquidslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #11
dettlej
Member
dettlej is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 88
Default Re: Custom stereo

This was posted in another thread http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...//ppuser/37013
and then yellow is the remote wire.

The firewall is a joke. If you pull back the carpet on under the brake pedal, you will see the opening, a pain to get to but you will see it. On the engine side you cannot see it. There is almost a dual firewall in there. You have to reach around back andf through to get in there. I am incredably skiny and could barely get in there. I will take a pic to show where it is a little later today. Good luck, took me longer to get through the firewall than to get the entire setup running.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FeeD_BaK View Post
Do you still have that diagram?
I want to make sure I got it right. I used an adapter and just guessed with the wiring in the back. I guessed that the darker of the two was negative and lighter positive. Hope its right....sounds ok so.....

also where did all of you go through the firewall. I could not find anywhere. I had to go through the front fender through the foam and in the door where the wires go through to the inside. So it is not sealed anymore. Not sure if that will be an issue or not. Wish I could have found a place for the wire in the firewall. The power cable is 8 or so gage. It is a powerbass amp 2000W running 2 12" pioneers.
dettlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom Stereo Install, Some remaining Issues. disconnect 2008 Vue 5 11-22-2009 10:22 PM
Should I put a custom stereo deck in my 2002 SC1? yamas S-Series General 30 01-23-2008 10:44 PM
Help troubleshooting stereo wiring 92 SC & will a 98 stereo work? GmG S-Series Tech 11 11-04-2007 06:35 PM
custom gauges fine_againsc2 S-Series General 9 11-11-2005 08:49 PM
custom stereo laybac Ion Red Line 2 04-26-2005 08:38 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:17 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.