SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue

Old 07-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
disconnect
disconnect is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 2.4L
Default Custom Stereo Install, Some remaining Issues.

Hey Everyone,

So, I took the leap and installed a custom stereo in to my 2009 Saturn Vue. I installed the following;

4 x Infinity Reference 6022i (6.5" Speakers)
2 x Dynamat Speaker kit (10" x 10" squares of dynamat to go around speakers)
1 x Infinity Reference 5350a (5 Channel Amp)
1 x MTX Audio reQ-5 (Signal Processor)
1 x Infinity Kappa 102.7w (10" Sub)

The install went relatively smoothly, but Im stuck with two very very annoying problems. One of them is Vue specific, the other is more general.

The first problem, which is related to the Vue, is that the plastic molding for the onstar buttons/sunglasses in the ceiling is rattling like there is no tomorrow. I was hoping someone could offer some ideas on how I could stop this? It's in such a terrible location, it's very loud since it's about a foot away from my ear .

The second problem... I am a victim of alternator whine . I've tried quite a few things already to solve this. After my vacation, I'm going to have to spend the day in the garage with some beers and a multimeter I think. The most common cause seems to be a ground loop... I just have to find it I guess. I'm using home theatre grade monster RCA cables, one person told me to try their car audio line. I'm not sure this will help though. The suggested cable is around $100 and has all 4 RCA connections on one cable. If I cant solve the whine, I'll likely suck it up and buy a new Deck... I really dont want to though, I like the stock look. Far less chance of being robbed

Anywho, that's my story. I'll update with solutions or more problems as they come up haha.

Cheers.
disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
hand-filer
hand-filer is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Custom Stereo Install, Some remaining Issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnect View Post
Hey Everyone,

So, I took the leap and installed a custom stereo in to my 2009 Saturn Vue. I installed the following;

4 x Infinity Reference 6022i (6.5" Speakers)
2 x Dynamat Speaker kit (10" x 10" squares of dynamat to go around speakers)
1 x Infinity Reference 5350a (5 Channel Amp)
1 x MTX Audio reQ-5 (Signal Processor)
1 x Infinity Kappa 102.7w (10" Sub)

The install went relatively smoothly, but Im stuck with two very very annoying problems. One of them is Vue specific, the other is more general.

The first problem, which is related to the Vue, is that the plastic molding for the onstar buttons/sunglasses in the ceiling is rattling like there is no tomorrow. I was hoping someone could offer some ideas on how I could stop this? It's in such a terrible location, it's very loud since it's about a foot away from my ear .

The second problem... I am a victim of alternator whine . I've tried quite a few things already to solve this. After my vacation, I'm going to have to spend the day in the garage with some beers and a multimeter I think. The most common cause seems to be a ground loop... I just have to find it I guess. I'm using home theatre grade monster RCA cables, one person told me to try their car audio line. I'm not sure this will help though. The suggested cable is around $100 and has all 4 RCA connections on one cable. If I cant solve the whine, I'll likely suck it up and buy a new Deck... I really dont want to though, I like the stock look. Far less chance of being robbed

Anywho, that's my story. I'll update with solutions or more problems as they come up haha.

Cheers.
I have a very similar installation and it doesn't have any alternator whine.
Make sure that the amp is properly grounded to the chassis.
I suspect that the issue may be with the wiring of the reQ5.
It's more than likely the power wire that you tapped into. It might be rf interference. A ground loop produces a steady humming noise. Try tapping the power directly to the battery and see if the noise goes away.
If it goes away you will need to locate a new 12V source. The 12v feed to the radio would be the best.
The radio is not the cause of your problem. You didn't have the problem before you installed the other components.
hand-filer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
disconnect
disconnect is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 2.4L

Thanks for the suggestions HF, when Im back from vacation I'll take a look. The whine that I am hearing is definitely from the alternator as it varies in pitch with the RPM's of the engine.

So, your OnStar panel doesn't vibrate eh? lol I'm at a loss for how to stop it, it sounds terrible.
disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
hand-filer
hand-filer is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

I think we have different panels. Mine doesn't have a holder for sunglasses. I have the option group that includes the HomeLink feature.
Half the battle is finding the rattle. You're half way there.
hand-filer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Try putting foam tape behind the panel. It'll provide cushion between it and whatever it's rubbing on. Put in on the panel and not the roof. The heat from the metal will kill the tape.
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
JRSTANGE
JRSTANGE is on a distinguished road

Hey, I'm looking to instrall a double din dvd/cdgps unit in my 2005 vue redline. Before i go tearing into it. I was wondering if there was any workds of advice. Or even how to go about removing the trim to get to the radio. I can figure it out i'm sure but, Thought if someone has done this before the help would be appreciated. Thanks.
1999 Saturn SL Forged DOHC Turbo-Parted out
1997 Saturn SL2 cams and bolt ons daily driver
2005 Saturn Vue Redline - Wife's Daily Driver
1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - Fair Weather Toy car
JRSTANGE is offline   Reply With Quote