SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 01-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
yamas
yamas is on a distinguished road

Default Should I put a custom stereo deck in my 2002 SC1?

Hi, I just discovered this site while searching google for advice on my title.
I was wondering, how good is the factory deck and is it worth it to put in a custom one? If it is worth it, how much would I have to put in to get a good one. Also it has non power locks, is there anyway to mod it so it does have power locks and how much would it cost?
Thanks in advacnce for the help.
yamas is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Should I put a custom stereo deck in my 2002 SC1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamas View Post
I was wondering, how good is the factory deck and is it worth it to put in a custom one? If it is worth it, how much would I have to put in to get a good one. Also it has non power locks, is there anyway to mod it so it does have power locks and how much would it cost?
Thanks in advacnce for the help.
I think the factory deck is fine for basic listening. i ended up changing out my stereo in my '97. powered woofer-$125, Panasonic deck-$120, panasonic front speakers-$20, and sony rear speakers-$40. Walmart is your friend

The powered door locks mod can be done. search the forum for others who have done it. if you have a junk yard you can get to then it prolly isnt to expensive.
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I was wondering, how good is the factory deck and is it worth it to put in a custom one? If it is worth it, how much would I have to put in to get a good one.
take a look on www.crutchfield.com and click on "what fits my car?" to see what fits and you can pick a receiver that fits your needs.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:28 PM   #4
yamas

Thanks for the help guys! I'll check this stuff out.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
yamas

I was originally just thinking a receiver with the features: CD/MP3 CD and Aux input but now it seems like I should probably get new speakers and it could be a costly job.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
is it worth it to put in a custom one?
A custom one? You mean you're gonna pick up a bunch of parts from radio shack and manufacture yourself a one of a kind stereo?

Or are you going to buy a mass produced aftermarket headunit that thousands of people have?
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:13 AM   #7
yamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post

Or are you going to buy a mass produced aftermarket headunit that thousands of people have?
Haha That one
Old 01-22-2008, 03:35 AM   #8
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

I just finished (well over the Christmas holidays) doing a aftermarket audio install on my 99 SC-2. Everything came from Crutchfields. They have a good selection of brands. They also have great customer support both from the sales to the tech aspect. The extra stuff you need to make the install trouble free and looking good are all thrown in for free. Harness adapters to trim.

All my stuff except for the speakers is Kenwood, amp, receiver, CD changer, Sirius Satellite receiver. It all went in without a hitch and worked the first time it turned it on. The speakers are MB Quart. It all sounds pretty great IMHO.

But regardless of the brand you choose to go with, I can completely reccomend Crutchfield. They will really work with you to make it all work.
1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:01 AM   #9
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

After re-reading the OP and thinking about it, I realized I didn't really answer the question of the OP.

I would say this to the question. That all depends on you, not us here. The answers all actually lie in questions you need to ask yourself. Just how serious are about the quality of the music you listen to? How much time do you spend in your car? Do you actually seriously LISTEN to the music or is it just a diversion from the normal sounds and noises associated with driving? Depending on the answers to these questions, just how much is all this worth to you? If you are not going to actually evaluate the differance and appreciate the subtle nuances everytime you turn it on and you don't spend much time in the car, then I would say no. The factory system is adequate for the usual daily driver.

For me, music has always been somthing to truly enjoy and get into, not just to kill the silence or override the ambient noises. I also spend a LOT of time in my car, many hours of interstate driving several times a month so investing more money in a sound system than the car is actually worth was not a problem for me. After all, I kept all the factory equipment and the aftermarket stuff I put in will come out when the time comes to sell the car and I'll just put it in the next car.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #10
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I was originally just thinking a receiver with the features: CD/MP3 CD and Aux input but now it seems like I should probably get new speakers and it could be a costly job.
Don't bother with the speakers unless you're a sound snob. The 2002 SC1 has a very good set of speakers for factory gear. And it's a huge pain in the ass to get the rear package tray off. It's enough of a pain to get to the radio compared to the older S-series.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
Don't bother with the speakers unless you're a sound snob. :
OUCH, you hurt me .
Old 01-22-2008, 01:10 PM   #12
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
The 2002 SC1 has a very good set of speakers for factory gear.
What magical speakers did they put in the Saturns bound for Canada?
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #13
92SC2
Advanced Member
92SC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Good ones, eh.
92SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #14
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
The speakers in my 2002 SC1 were WAY better than the junk that was in my 2004 Silverado. They're not the best, but they are better than the cheapo aftermarkets I usually get, which are normally better than most factory gear. I put a Premier head unit in and was still able to hear a definate sound difference in the factory speakers over the factory head unit. There is better out there, but considering the price and the work to put them in, it wasn't worth it to me to switch them. The speakers in all my other Saturns and friend's Saturns ('92, '95, '99) were total garbage and even the cheapo aftermarkets were better.

My Silverado is rockin' out now with a Kenwood eXcelon DDX 8019, Kenwood component speakers for the front doors with tweeters in the a-pillars, Kenwood 4"x6"s in the back doors, an Alpine S-Type sub powered by a Kenwood eXcelon 4-channel amp.

I added a Kenwood self-powered sub unit to the SC1.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:45 PM   #15
yamas

Hmm didn't know that about the speakers. Very helpful to know. One more question: Will getting a cheap Aftermarket head unit (100-120) decrease my sound quality at all? I'm looking to get one with MP3 CD capabilities and an Aux Input. Thanks for all the help guys. BTW I love the car!
Old 01-22-2008, 11:24 PM   #16
white95SL1
white95SL1 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
2004 VUE Red Line

I just had a new head unit and speakers installed in my '01 SC2 today. I bought a Kenwood KDC-MP238 (it has the ability to play MP3 CDs and front aux. hookup) with Sound Storm 6.5" speakers all around. I had never heard of the Sound Storms, but the stereo shop I bought them from swore by them and said they're amazing for the price, and I have to agree.

The head unit was $169 installed plus tax and the speakers were $45/pr plus installation. All in all it was around $300 for everything installed. I must say it was $300 WELL spent. The stereo sounds amazing. There's enough bass from just the speakers that they vibrate the rear deck when the volume is up past 20 on most songs. I thought it was a poor install at first, but after looking at it, I came to discover that it's the rear deck itself vibrating. A little Dynomat will fix that though. It's nothing unreasonably loud, but definitely a VAST improvement over stock. I would certainly recommend purchasing both a new head unit and speakers.

As soon as my roommate upgrades his stereo, he's selling me his 12" sub with 800W amp for dirt cheap, so it's going to be a fairly loud system.
Brandon

'92 Saturn SCm- Red & Silver (rebuild in progress)
'04 Saturn VUE Red Line- Black Onyx
white95SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:13 AM   #17
yamas

Hmm Well I've received some people saying put in new speakers, others saying leave em. So I've got quite the decision...
Old 01-23-2008, 02:34 AM   #18
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by white95SL1 View Post
I just had a new head unit and speakers installed in my '01 SC2 today. I bought a Kenwood KDC-MP238 (it has the ability to play MP3 CDs and front aux. hookup) .
This is the same unit I put in my 99 SC-2 but I got mine from Crutchfields. It is a really good unit by itself but mine serves as the center of a complete aftermarket system. The KDC-MP238 will play CDs itslelf but in my system I use it to control a CD Changer in the trunk. It is also satellite ready so I have a direct Sirius tuner contolled by it. It has line level outputs which I use to drive a Kenwood amplifier driving 4 MB Quart true coaxial speakers. The MB Quart speakers have outboard crossovers with separate gimballed tweeters.

The Kenwood KDC-MP238 has an aux input on the front and is MP3 ready. All in all a really capable unit for not much money. It in itslef has a modest power amp section so it can drive speakers on its own pretty well if you don't want to invest in an outboard amp.

As for the sound quality. This head unit replaced a factory AM/FM cassette head unit with the 5 band EQ. I already had the Kenwood amp and MB Quart speakers. The differance between the factory head unit and the Kenwood is like night and day. Everybody who gets in the car remark on how much cleaner and clearer the sound is I should also mention it comes with a remote control. Go figure.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #19
sl_don
sl_don is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Hmm Well I've received some people saying put in new speakers, others saying leave em. So I've got quite the decision...
I say start with the Radio. you will get the features you want and the after market radio has better amplification than the original so your speakers will immediately sound better. then if you find it could still be better then spend the money on speakers and possibly an external amp.

the major reason for low sound quality in a stock car audio system is the radio. most factory radios are pitifully under powered so the sound is poor regardless of the speaker.
If it isn't broken.........Your not trying hard enough

2002 SL first brand new car in my family since the 1981 Pontiac Phoenix (sold)
2004 Vue AWD V6 bought used (current)
sl_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #20
sl2collector
sl2collector is on a distinguished road

I gotta get my wife to put some pictures up for me!
see if she will this weekend.
I'm just finishing putting together a 92 sc2 for my buddy...side note anyone got the interier door panels in great shape in blue???? I will pay great $$$ for them.it's power locks/windows.
but he has done the stereo already, not my thing, but he has five lcd sceens in it, xbox360, 4 10' subs, 8 8" subs and 2" 18 subs, it has a projector in the trunk with wii, projects about 8' x 10' up to about 40 feet away.
it has a optima under the hood, then two more in the trunk, along with 4 caps
and 8 amps.
even his door speakers are like 350 watts.
the sun visors are screens, the head unit is a flip up screen, one is a cpu monitor in the trunk. definetly not my thing, but it does sound and look pretty cool.he took out the back seats all together, and the sub boxes sit an inch off the front seats, and a bit taller than the rear deck.
again not really my thing. but mabye the most teched out sc2 around.
sl2collector is offline   Reply With Quote