SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 09-06-2022, 03:19 PM   #1
csmolen
csmolen is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Post General Information on Lowering Springs

So Iím looking into putting shocks & springs on my car rather than coils just for a little better ride (+ its a lot more budget friendly). I canít find any springs specifically made for the S-Series. If I were to buy springs (probably like 1.3ish drop) for some other car, would they work with the saturn?
csmolen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2022, 04:39 PM   #2
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1
Default Re: General Information on Lowering Springs

Do you mean you're wanting to replace the entire strut and not just the spring? I'm kind of confused on what you mean by shocks and springs, that's essentially what a strut is, it's a spring with a built-in shock.

I seem to remember a thread talking about another thread that parts used to be available, but that was like ten years ago (don't quote me on that) and they no longer make them.

Also, suspension work can get you into trouble if not done right, even an inch drop can throw everything out of alignment if not done properly.
cujoe_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 05:00 PM   #3
csmolen

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujoe_da_man View Post
Do you mean you're wanting to replace the entire strut and not just the spring? I'm kind of confused on what you mean by shocks and springs, that's essentially what a strut is, it's a spring with a built-in shock.

I seem to remember a thread talking about another thread that parts used to be available, but that was like ten years ago (don't quote me on that) and they no longer make them.

Also, suspension work can get you into trouble if not done right, even an inch drop can throw everything out of alignment if not done properly.
Yeah I meant struts 😅 Iíll be honest i was in the middle of class and wasnt all there in the brain when i asked. Anyways, I would love to replace just the springs, but from what i had seen thats pretty hit or miss if you dont pair the springs and struts correctly as far as like, spring rate and all that stuff. Iím still pretty new to all this info which is why I asked and why Iím doing research.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:59 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Only H&R and Eibach made long-term production runs of their springs. Eibach's were made for people with broken backs that think polyurethane engine mounts are stupid, H&R Sports were made for fun folks and H&R race springs were for...racing. All dropped about 1.3-1.5in after settling.

Info with actual numbers rather than my odd interpretation: https://forum.sixthsphere.com/articl...t-spring-rates

Pretty much the only strut that was ever available without spending stupid money were KYB GR2's.

Your alignment will have to be fixed after changing struts, expecting otherwise means you shouldn't be working on the car. Doesn't matter if you're replacing stock for stock or modifying.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:31 PM   #5
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

It's unlikely you'll find lowering springs for the S series anymore. The aftermarket mod parts scene has left long ago.
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:59 PM   #6
csmolen

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
It's unlikely you'll find lowering springs for the S series anymore. The aftermarket mod parts scene has left long ago.
Fully aware of this, and was curious if there was a way to use springs for something else, like for a WRX for example (Iíve seen wrx coilovers used in an SL2, good ole Build it Break it Garage). Point is, could springs for other cars have usable fitment?
Old 09-10-2022, 12:37 AM   #7
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmolen View Post
Fully aware of this, and was curious if there was a way to use springs for something else, like for a WRX for example (Iíve seen wrx coilovers used in an SL2, good ole Build it Break it Garage). Point is, could springs for other cars have usable fitment?
No, I haven't seen such a thing on this forum over the past decade.
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:06 PM   #8
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

It's a boring car that will get you 30+ mpg during your high school and college years.

Save your money for something else.
85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:38 PM   #9
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1

Aww, they aren't THAT boring. They keep you entertained while keeping them running!

But seriously, I do agree that these cars are literally meant for one thing, saving money at the pumps.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to make them look nice and keeping them that way, but when you get into wanting to doing something that would be better suited for a car meant to be modded, it's not really worth the effort.

Unless you have a fully furnished shop and want to make something really unique, I'd just save your money and get something better down the road. Let this one save you on the super high gas prices currently.
cujoe_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:04 AM   #10
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl View Post
It's a boring car that will get you 30+ mpg during your high school and college years.

Save your money for something else.
Whether the car is boring or not is in the eye of the beholder. I have driven new Audis, 700 hp Mercs and I still love driving my little S Series. I can't explain why exactly, but going for a boot in my 'lowly' S series always puts a smile on my face.

My 98 S Series5 spd has H&R lowering springs, if you can find a set second hand grab em. They go best with the KYB struts/ shocks.
My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.
SLfun is online now   Reply With Quote