SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-26-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
Lurker1999
Lurker1999 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Default Air conditioning working again

My AC died last week in the middle of the heat wave. Well, it didn't die entirely but was working very poorly with the compressor still turning on. On Friday I took it to the dealer to get it repaired. They first stated they would have to convert over from R12 to R134a before they could even test for leaks. So I agreed to the conversion. However despite the tech's best efforts with a sniffer and visually inspecting all of the components they couldn't locate a leak. Plus it passed the vacuum test so they filled it back up with R134a and sent me on my way. They did mention they had put dye into the system so if it leaked they would be able to locate the leak more easily. The entire procedure cost $120 including a 10% discount. Previously the AC had never been serviced since I picked the car up in 1992.

The system lasted through the two hour drive to my weekend away but by Saturday night the compressor wouldn't even turn on. I suspected there was indeed a leak. And today I was apparently proven right. I was told the seal on the expansion valve was the source of the leak. I had it fixed and after paying $165 (10% discount) I think I'm finally done with the problem.

I think the price of the repair sounds fair and after 13 years something had to leak eventually. Is the expansion valve seal a common place?
93 SC2a 69k
Lurker1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links