SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 11:46 PM   #1
D C
D C is on a distinguished road

Default Tires - When you Replace them...

The "AWD in the snow" thread got me thinking. So many people were talking about replacing the OEM Bridgestones with something else, I'm wondering what people normally do.

So....

Assuming y'all are 'normal' people what do you do when you have to buy new tires for a vehicle. Not necessarily your VUE, but any car.

Do you go with the OEM rubber since that's what the factory determined was best?

Look for something round & black that'll hold the car off the ground?

Look for the cheapest tire that will fit?

Look for the highest treadwear rating/mileage warranty?

Do you go for a particular brand?

Do you go for particular characteristics? better ride? better handling? cool looking sidewall lettering? etc....

Basically, when you buy new tires, what're you thinkin?
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2004, 12:10 AM   #2
rfulcher
rfulcher is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default New tire criteria

First of all, OEM rubber is not necessarily always the best. My 1997 Nissan Maxima came with Goodyear Eagle RS-A 55 series tires. They looked nice, but man, were they crummy. Roared like crazy, expensive as all get-out, and you were lucky to get 25,000 miles out of them. I made the mistake of placing these on the car for the second set.

Problem was (and I suspect this might eventually come into play with the 17" rims on my 2004 VUE), the tire was an unusual size, and there were few options. For the third set, I replaced them with (substantially cheaper than the OEMs) Michelin XGT4s. I never realized how quiet the car could be, and 30,000 miles later, the tires still had plenty of tread. Not quite as grippy as the Goodyears, but enough to have fun on a winding road. The way I actually found the Michelins was by calling up a down-home non-chain tire guy in my small town. When I read him the strange tire size he replied, "Oh--you must have a Maxima. I put XGT4s on Maximas, and I've had no complaints." Sure enough, he was right. Then again, it's his job.

Read around online. Find some reviews and testimonials if you can. Don't necessarily pick the cheapest. I always thought that Goodyears were great tires. Then I went online and found that 8 out of 10 postings on various sites and review boards expressed great dissatisfaction with the performance and life of Goodyears. Do rank what's important to you. I really don't care what the tire looks like or whether it can siphon away 88 gallons of water per second at 60 mph, but I like it to last longer than three oil changes, and it needs to be quiet.

I don't know if any of these ramblings are helpful, but you can tell I've had really good experiences with Michelin tires.

-- Rob
2004 VUE V6 FWD Silver Nickel
17" alloys w/ OEM Bridgestone Duelers
Old 02-11-2004, 01:12 AM   #3
burlyvue2
burlyvue2 has a spectacular aura aboutburlyvue2 has a spectacular aura aboutburlyvue2 has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 3.5L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I replaced 2 of my tires on 2003 V6 FWD with OEM from Saturn. After getting nailed on passenger side rear wheel that broke the rear suspension which took a month to repair. The body shop subcontracted the wheel alignment and they did a "poor job" the inside tread wore bad, down to dangerous. I said "fix it" and the proper alignment was adjusted and new rubber. Next time for body shop stuff will stick with Saturn and avoid Caliber Collision which was recommended by insurance company.

Old 02-11-2004, 09:38 AM   #4
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

Bridgestone's in general are good tires. I never really cared for Goodyears and had good luck with Michelins.

The only tires I've seen to fit the 17" alloys was the OEM's and I think and Goodyear Eagle LS tire.

Tires, like just about everything, are a compromise. Good mileage gives you less grip...quiet often means less aggressive tread for snow (I think the OEMs give really good traction).

For a non Redline/ suspension modded Vue, I would think mileage would be more important.

I would recommend looking at tirerack.com or discounttire.com..or any other big discount online retailer, find what fits and check out any reviews.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:01 AM   #5
D C

WAIT A SEC GUYS! I'm not in the market for tires. I'm just curious about what everyone else does when they look for them.

It seems like tires are one of those things where everyone has an opinion about what's best. And I'm not talking VUE-specific, either.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:14 AM   #6
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

My previous car was a 95 Cavalier and when it came time to replace the rubber I went with essentially the same tire: Goodrich Touring T/A. I was very happy with the ride, noise and tire wear (got about 80,000 km out of them). Now, the manufacturers will tell you "the OE tire was specifically engineered for this car blah,blah,blah" but I don't know if that's necessarily true ALL the time.

I doubt my Duellers will give me the same mileage as the Touring T/A's did, although now that they sit inside for the winter maybe I'll get more years out of them.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:26 PM   #7
Dar
Dar is on a distinguished road

Picking tires? What's important to you? Handling? Mileage? All-Touring? All-Season? Brands? Looks? Costs? Keep in mind, if you want high mileage, you lose in handling characteristics. If you live in a winter climate and want an excellent all-season tire, check out Nokian tires.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:41 PM   #8
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

With the VUE not many choices out there. The 235's are a rare breed
Old 02-11-2004, 04:06 PM   #9
D C

Quote:
Originally posted by Dar
Picking tires? What's important to you? Handling? Mileage? All-Touring? All-Season? Brands? Looks? Costs? Keep in mind, if you want high mileage, you lose in handling characteristics. If you live in a winter climate and want an excellent all-season tire, check out Nokian tires.
That's exactly what I'm asking YOU GUYS! What do YOU look for? I know what I look for, but what do the rest of you do?

I've gotta admit, this is certainly a helpful bunch of people. But I don't want help right now, I'm just taking an informal survey
Old 02-11-2004, 05:33 PM   #10
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

For a truck/SUV, I'd look for a harder compound tire. I'd be sure to get a tire marked M+S..other that I'd go for known good brands, by personal experience and input from others.

For a car, I'd go for a high-performance all season..something with a treadwear rating around 350-400. The ultra high performance tires are too expensive and too short lived for my usage of just being a urban spirited driver.

As far as brands, I'm not too picky. I would lean against Goodyear..they seem to make decent tires, but nothing outstanding in any respect. I would give Michelin extra points because of my experience. The OEM tires seem good and Bridgestone is earning points with me
Closed Thread