saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 10:46 AM   #1
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Lowering fuel tank & replacing pump Question ( 95SL2 )

As Im considering replacing my fuel pump -- in June -- is there anything to which I should be alerted, as it will be a single person effort. I don't have access to "an assistant".
I have two hand jacks, as well as multiple stands. Obviously, I'll insure that the tank is almost empty, to lower the "weight" issue. The primary question would be: can one person lift the tank back up while also re-securing the strap? Any other suggestions or quidance?? And should this unit be purchased after-market ??

Thank in advnace.
> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2003, 12:28 PM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

I'll help ya... I'm close.

It doesn't seem to be that complicated from the Chilton's repair manual.
85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg
Old 05-14-2003, 01:39 PM   #3
bbarbulo
Advanced Member
bbarbulo is on a distinguished road

I've dropped many a tank on many different vehicles (not a satty though), and it is for sure a one person effort. No biggie at all. Now, I don't know about the satty, but SOME, not all... cars have an access door that can be reached from under the rear seat, right over the pump, just for these purposes. Specifically, my VWs and my Hondas have had it... on the Crown Vic I dropped the tank (it was rotting, so I had to drop it), on my Calais Olds I also removed the tank due to leakage... but that one DID have an access door under the rear seat. Just an FYI so you can look into it to maybe make it easier. Also, depending on the type of lines you have, could be hard lines or could be rubber ones. If it's rubber, remove the hose clamp, then gently grip with some pliers and spray WD40 into the end, and the WD40 will penetrate and make it easy to remove. If you have hard lines right out of the tank (unlikely) have a crow's foot wrench or a brake line wrench handy to ensure you don't strip anything or round the nuts.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:50 PM   #4
owenmpk
owenmpk is on a distinguished road

I have replaced the fuel pump in my 92 SL2. The biggest problem I had was getting the retainer nut ~3" diameter off the top of the tank once so I could get the fuel pump out. The next biggest problem was getting the ass end up high enough to let the straps swing out of the way. Other than the typical tight area problems it was not that difficult of a job. I did need help get the tank back in place but you can use the jack and some plywood to hold it in place while you attach the straps. Would I do it again? Yes
Oh and my understanding on why the pump fails is due to fuel filter not being replaced frequently enough.
And I used an after market pump, it now has ~ 40,000 miles on it

Good Luck
Old 05-14-2003, 04:27 PM   #5
Mark85
Mark85 is on a distinguished road

quick question...how often should the fuel filter be replaced and is it as easy as the tranny or oil filter to install?
Old 05-14-2003, 05:27 PM   #6
owenmpk

I replace mine every 2 years, easy but you need a screw driver to undo the hose clamps
Old 05-15-2003, 09:58 AM   #7
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

HL
Quote:
It doesn't seem to be that complicated from the Chilton's repair manual.
As I have the factory's three volume repair manual, I note that is rather simple to do. However, when I had it done once at the dealer, the tech needed assistance in lifting the tank to secure the strap/bolt.

Fm Owen

Quote:
The next biggest problem was getting the ass end up high enough to let the straps swing out of the way.
You raised a good point. Thank you

Quote:
I did need help get the tank back in place but you can use the jack and some plywood to hold it in place while you attach the straps.
That is what I had initially considered.
> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired
Old 05-15-2003, 10:38 AM   #8
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

Idea

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark85
quick question...how often should the fuel filter be replaced and is it as easy as the tranny or oil filter to install?
Check the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual or in the "My Saturn" section of the Saturn web site... I think it is once every 50,000 miles but check first.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:34 PM   #9
owenmpk

Default Trick and safe way to work under a raised car

One trick that I learned last year to get a vehicle high enough when replacing a transmission was to dig a shallow trench, line it with plastic and park over it. I did this when replacing the trany on my truck because I do not like jack stands they just do not look save especially when I get angry and start yanking and pulling on something. You can see what I did at LINK

Good luck and be careful (remember no smoking)
Old 05-15-2003, 07:50 PM   #10
auxmike
auxmike is on a distinguished road

I have this phobia of lying under whats basicly a bomb full of flammable vapors.
I helped my dad do a fuel pump in a Volvo 240 wagon.Yeah,there is a hatch inside the car for easy access to the pump from above.
We broke every rule:Full tank of gas ,bare bulb droplight,banging retaining collar off with a steel screwdriver {spark,spark}.Foolish indeed.If that bulb burst,goodbye world,I'm a bacon bit!:o:
I'd be real careful about going "in" on this job.
ESD can ruin your day............
Yeah I'm cheap ,like most DIY types are.I like to save $70+ an hour to tinker myself too.BUT when it comes to this stuff,I bow out .Just my .02.Please do be careful if you try it....
Closed Thread