SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods

Old 11-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Ali_Jones
Ali_Jones is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Dizzy How to install bass sound system

whats up everyone, i got this problem when i was installing my system, i was wondering if anybody knows of a way to run the power cable from the battery to the amp. there isnt a clean way i can find to run it. unless drilling a hole threw the firewall but that is a option im not yet ready to take. any advice? i will have pics up of the wiring i already have done, to make it a little easier for other owners to use. also how much does a harness run for to install a after market stereo?
Ali_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: How to install bass sound system

There's a grommet on the driver's side. It's actually a super easy vehicle to work on. I could have easily brought 0 gauge through it. There should also be something by where the clutch would go too.

Harness costs vary. 06+ will likely be around $150. But 05- is only around $20. Newer Vues use a PITA data system, leading to the higher cost harness.
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Harness is dirt cheap if you don't opt for the ability to maintain your onstar.

Open up that white thing, and run your cabling through there. This vehicle really is cake to work on. You'll just have to make a slice in the firewall grommet next to the brake pedal, then your cable should go right in.
'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:10 AM   #4
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout View Post
Harness is dirt cheap if you don't opt for the ability to maintain your onstar
I would NOT recommend using the Non-Data harness (ie the cheap ones) if you have a data system in your car. OnStar is NOT the only thing that is linked to this system. Over the years I've personally SEEN cars where things like turn signals, brake lights, heated seats, headlights, and power seats would NOT function because the radio had been replaced just by hard wiring or not using the data system harness. We had an issue at a different best Buy location where a customer had opted to not get the data harness, was in an accident, and his airbags did not deploy in an accident. We didn't pay out a dime because in a situation like that they couldn't prove that it was definitely due to the radio install, and the customer had opted to not use the data harness because he was a cheapass, but still, that's not something I would want to risk.

So if you have a data connected radio in ANY newer GM (or any other OEM it spreads to), just get the more expensive harness, or just keep the factory radio. Most factory radios nowdays are pretty decent and can be upgraded pretty well. If you want better sound, get a 4 channel amp for your speakers (because that will actually make a noticible difference).
Old 11-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure only five or six extra wires go to the radio in 06+, involving the audio for OnStar and the text for the radio display... I agree that other GM cars can be affected and lose functionality of some features, but it's not that complicated on the Vue. Everything, including chimes, remained functional when I installed my AVIC-D3 with the generic Metra harness.
'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
travisp864
travisp864 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout View Post
I'm pretty sure only five or six extra wires go to the radio in 06+, involving the audio for OnStar and the text for the radio display... I agree that other GM cars can be affected and lose functionality of some features, but it's not that complicated on the Vue. Everything, including chimes, remained functional when I installed my AVIC-D3 with the generic Metra harness.
Ah....but thats the deceiving part, its a MULTIPLEXED data system. In a multiplexed data system 1 wire can carry quite a few functions and do just about anything. The reason that GM (among other manufacturers) switched to the multiplexed data systems is to cut down on weight and the amount of copper wire required. I have personally seen at least one of these vehicles not idle after removal of the aftermarket interface harness (it was stolen) and the problem cleared up instantly once he got to a store and purchased a new interface. The problem with not using an interface on a multiplexed system is that the data terminates at that point (the factory harness) rather than running in and back out (like it did with the OEM radio) and potentially causing anything farther down the line to not receive its required signal. The potential affected systems vary due to differences in installed options and data path differences between models. While one vehicle may only lose its warning chimes, another of the same model with different options could potentially have catastrophic failures (noticeable or not) that could lead to disaster. If you are still reading this, what I am trying to say is, I always use the integration harness because there is no way to tell what could happen if you don't. And if you read all that...thank you.
travisp864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
DesignoSLK
DesignoSLK is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I know this thread is old, but I'm facing a similar issue with regards to the data harness and I canít find any other threads.

I'm upgrading the factory stereo to a JVC KD-AVX77 and need to know what harness to use.

The OEM stereo is the single CD MP3 capable w/ amp/sub, XM module, On-Star (which I don't care about).

I'm installing the PAC SWI-JACK to retail the steering wheel functions and the GM antenna adaptor. I ordered Metra's standard harness, but I know it's not the one I want/need with regards to the GM-LAN data. Iím also installing American Internationalís GM-350 single DIN w/ pouch dash kit.

Can someone point me in the right direction for anything else I might need as well as the data harness?

Thanks!
KEVIN

'06 Vue 3.5L
'00 Mercedes Benz SLK230
Cessna 172 (pilot)
DesignoSLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
NJ FRR
NJ FRR is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

When I put my radio in I didn't even bother with a harness its straight hard wired in for the fact that I only need the power ground and remote. Everything else is ran off radio and no problems have been seen since I've done it a p?us is that I lost annoying door chime ....but otherwise everything is good
NJ FRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
DesignoSLK

2006 VUE 3.5L
Thumbs Up Re: How to install bass sound system

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ FRR View Post
When I put my radio in I didn't even bother with a harness its straight hard wired in for the fact that I only need the power ground and remote. Everything else is ran off radio and no problems have been seen since I've done it a p?us is that I lost annoying door chime ....but otherwise everything is good
Great! Thanks! I'll give it a go with the harness that's coming then.

I was going to ask what OEM stereo you replaced, but judging by your pictures I'll assume you had the same one I have. And seeing you also have an '06 is reassuring.

Your Vue looks good in white!
KEVIN

'06 Vue 3.5L
'00 Mercedes Benz SLK230
Cessna 172 (pilot)
Old 06-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

The 2006+ Vues use a data system. I would advise heavily against just hardwiring the radio in these vehicles, as firstly you will have no correct switched power behind the radio. Secondly, you can have all sorts of bad stuff happen when the radio is missing from the data network. I've seen headlights randomly not work, seat heaters, door locks, turn signals, obviously your onstar will not function (in case of a crash), and I've read reports of airbags not functioning properly with the data network impaired.

Its your choice, but I know that my possible safety and the possible safety of my wifey or dog is not worth the ~$150 or whatever it might save me.

EDIT: Wow, just realized this is the second time I've warned about this in this thread, lol.

Last edited by XRL; 06-09-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
DesignoSLK

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
The 2006+ Vues use a data system. I would advise heavily against just hardwiring the radio in these vehicles, as firstly you will have no correct switched power behind the radio. Secondly, you can have all sorts of bad stuff happen when the radio is missing from the data network. I've seen headlights randomly not work, seat heaters, door locks, turn signals, obviously your onstar will not function (in case of a crash), and I've read reports of airbags not functioning properly with the data network impaired.

Its your choice, but I know that my possible safety and the possible safety of my wifey or dog is not worth the ~$150 or whatever it might save me.

EDIT: Wow, just realized this is the second time I've warned about this in this thread, lol.
I do appreciate your input and I certainly don't want to compromise on safety. I don't care about the Onstar as I'm in Germany and it's worthless to me here. Can you tell me what harness I'm looking for though?

I did read your first post btw.
KEVIN

'06 Vue 3.5L
'00 Mercedes Benz SLK230
Cessna 172 (pilot)
Old 06-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

The Scosche GM13SR is listed as the part for the 06+ Vue, there should be an equivalent Metra part as well, but their fit guide is down.

OnStar doesn't work in Germany? Interesting. I woulda thought GM would have done everything they could to make that be a feature for European GMs like Opel and Vauxhall. And considering the smaller area of Europe, the cellular coverage shouldn't be a logistical issue either. Weird. Maybe it's the possible language issues, having German, English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, etc. all as possible languages in a span of a few thousand miles would be quite the logistical issue there.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
DesignoSLK

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
The Scosche GM13SR is listed as the part for the 06+ Vue, there should be an equivalent Metra part as well, but their fit guide is down.

OnStar doesn't work in Germany? Interesting. I woulda thought GM would have done everything they could to make that be a feature for European GMs like Opel and Vauxhall. And considering the smaller area of Europe, the cellular coverage shouldn't be a logistical issue either. Weird. Maybe it's the possible language issues, having German, English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, etc. all as possible languages in a span of a few thousand miles would be quite the logistical issue there.
Great! Thanks! I found it on eBay for $72 & free shipping.

I wouldn't even begin to try and figure out why OnStar doesn't work here. Different cultures. They have ADAC here which could best be compared to AAA about 50 yrs ago and even that doesn't really do it (ADAC) justice. For Ä100/yr they do just about anything to get you going or provide hotel until you can. They even provide heli service if you're injuried skiing out of the country...pretty amazing...and all under the Ä100 plan. It's worth the piece of mind.

Thanks again for the info on the harness.
KEVIN

'06 Vue 3.5L
'00 Mercedes Benz SLK230
Cessna 172 (pilot)