SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 02:18 AM   #1
WadeNKC
Junior Member
WadeNKC is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 43
Question Fuel line specs on a 1998 Saturn Sl 1 (fuel injected)

Anyone know what size fuel line a 1998 Saturn Sl 1 (fuel injected) takes?
I know they come in 1/4 3/8 and 15/16. I have checked the Haynes Manuel, owners Manuel and this sites archives but I cant find it.
The lines have no mods from when i got it, so it should be the same from off the factory floor. I just need to know what size and what type of connection before I drop a $150 on a new set.
Thanks
WadeNKC is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
OldNuc
Super Member
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far Southwestern Iowa
Posts: 66,694
 

1998 SC2
Default Re: Fuel line specs on a 1998 Saturn Sl 1 (fuel injected)

There is only 1 fuel supply line on a 98 and later car and it handles 50+psi. If you need to replace that line from the filter regulator to the fuel rail it is either a dealer part or get one from a J/Y.

Your post is not real clear to me as to what you are attempting and why. The plastic line is metric and its close to 5/16 - 3/8.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
WadeNKC
Junior Member
WadeNKC is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 43
Default Re: Fuel line specs on a 1998 Saturn Sl 1 (fuel injected)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeNKC View Post
Anyone know what size fuel line a 1998 Saturn Sl 1 (fuel injected) takes?
I know they come in 1/4 3/8 and 15/16. I have checked the Haynes Manuel, owners Manuel and this sites archives but I cant find it.
The lines have no mods from when i got it, so it should be the same from off the factory floor. I just need to know what size and what type of connection before I drop a $150 on a new set.
Thanks
Ok, I will try to be clearer.
I am looking to replace the fuel line for the car (It runs from the fuel filter) to the car engine, ie fuel rail) It is a fuel injected car. I know they come in three diffrent sizes 1/4, 3/8 and 15/16. I have looked all around and I do not know what size my car takes. There has been no modifications to the fuel lines. I have replaced the fuel pump, but the car is still not getting a power to the fuel pump. I have checked the fuses and wiring all the way up to the fuel pump ( I have no tools to drop the fuel tank, to check it further) so wile I got it at the shop I am thinking about getting a new high flow fuel pump and new fuel lines. Its already in the air and with the fuel tank off I might as well tank advantage of the situation. So I need to now what size I should get of the possible 3 sizes of fuel lines and also what type of connection does it take ( I dont know anything about ANZI), er something like that) again this a standard car and no mods to the fuel line at this point.
WadeNKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
fdryer
Super Member
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute
 
fdryer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 45,858
 

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Fuel line specs on a 1998 Saturn Sl 1 (fuel injected)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeNKC View Post
Ok, I will try to be clearer......I have replaced the fuel pump, but the car is still not getting a[ny] power to the fuel pump. I have checked the fuses and wiring all the way up to the fuel pump....
Perhaps this is your original problem - not getting power to the fuel pump. This involves 12v from the fuel pump relay, (power) wiring to the pump and the ground from the pump to the nearest chassis frame. You'll need to know a few things.

When the ignition switch is turned to the ON/RUN position, the PCM cycles the fuel pump for 2-3 seconds then turns it off (for safety) until the engine is cranked (in START mode). The fuel pump will only run if the engine is rotating, from another circuit. If you cannot hear or feel the faint hum/hiss of the fuel pump/lines when the 2-3 seconds passes, an alternative check for fuel pump operation is depressing the fuel test valve on the fuel rail to see if pressurized fuel sprays out (or use a fuel pressure gauge). Normal residual pressure remains in the lines - 30psi or so, enough to spray out the test valve, the same valve as on our tires.

Never hearing/feeling/spraying fuel narrows it down to either the fuel pump relay or the wiring (12v going to the pump or ground to the pump). The relay is controlled by the PCM; pins 85 and 86 are control signal and 12v, pins 30 and 87 send 12v to the pump. Usually the control signal (ground) to operate the relay is fine. Having someone turn the ignition key to the ON/RUN position while you place your finger on the relay or listen for the relay to 'click' will indicate that the control signal is working. Then relay contacts 30 and 87 are closed to send 12v power to the fuel pump. The fuel pump has a ground wire to a nearby chassis tie point (trunk?) that corrodes severely, preventing pump operation. Simply shorting the fuel pump relay socket pins 30 and 87 with a wire will send 12v immediately to the fuel pump. The fuel pump needs ground to run. You replaced the fuel pump but haven't checked the wiring yet.
...
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
OldNuc
Super Member
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far Southwestern Iowa
Posts: 66,694
 

1998 SC2
Default Re: Fuel line specs on a 1998 Saturn Sl 1 (fuel injected)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeNKC View Post
Ok, I will try to be clearer.
I am looking to replace the fuel line for the car (It runs from the fuel filter) to the car engine, ie fuel rail) It is a fuel injected car. I know they come in three diffrent sizes 1/4, 3/8 and 15/16. I have looked all around and I do not know what size my car takes. There has been no modifications to the fuel lines. I have replaced the fuel pump, but the car is still not getting a power to the fuel pump. I have checked the fuses and wiring all the way up to the fuel pump ( I have no tools to drop the fuel tank, to check it further) so wile I got it at the shop I am thinking about getting a new high flow fuel pump and new fuel lines. Its already in the air and with the fuel tank off I might as well tank advantage of the situation. So I need to now what size I should get of the possible 3 sizes of fuel lines and also what type of connection does it take ( I dont know anything about ANZI), er something like that) again this a standard car and no mods to the fuel line at this point.
The stock fuel line is adequate to flow any fuel you will ever need or use. There is no point in trying to replace it. It is difficult to make connections to the connectors. Stay with the stock line and deal with either a failed fuel pump or the problem of no power to the pump.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #6
WadeNKC
Junior Member
WadeNKC is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 43
Default Re: Fuel line specs on a 1998 Saturn Sl 1 (fuel injected)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Perhaps this is your original problem - not getting power to the fuel pump. This involves 12v from the fuel pump relay, (power) wiring to the pump and the ground from the pump to the nearest chassis frame. You'll need to know a few things.

When the ignition switch is turned to the ON/RUN position, the PCM cycles the fuel pump for 2-3 seconds then turns it off (for safety) until the engine is cranked (in START mode). The fuel pump will only run if the engine is rotating, from another circuit. If you cannot hear or feel the faint hum/hiss of the fuel pump/lines when the 2-3 seconds passes, an alternative check for fuel pump operation is depressing the fuel test valve on the fuel rail to see if pressurized fuel sprays out (or use a fuel pressure gauge). Normal residual pressure remains in the lines - 30psi or so, enough to spray out the test valve, the same valve as on our tires.

Never hearing/feeling/spraying fuel narrows it down to either the fuel pump relay or the wiring (12v going to the pump or ground to the pump). The relay is controlled by the PCM; pins 85 and 86 are control signal and 12v, pins 30 and 87 send 12v to the pump. Usually the control signal (ground) to operate the relay is fine. Having someone turn the ignition key to the ON/RUN position while you place your finger on the relay or listen for the relay to 'click' will indicate that the control signal is working. Then relay contacts 30 and 87 are closed to send 12v power to the fuel pump. The fuel pump has a ground wire to a nearby chassis tie point (trunk?) that corrodes severely, preventing pump operation. Simply shorting the fuel pump relay socket pins 30 and 87 with a wire will send 12v immediately to the fuel pump. The fuel pump needs ground to run. You replaced the fuel pump but haven't checked the wiring yet.
Ok once again, no one has answered my question.
I have checked the fuel pump and it is getting power but when I did a pressure check ( by taking over the fuel filter, and putting a finger over it) and having someone start it, it does not give any pressure into the line. I know there is a better way to check it, but I do not have the equipment to do the actual test. I do hear the pump kick on. but there is no pressure on the line from the pump to the engine. I am asking what size is the line in case i have to replace it. I am not going to replace the line until i know there is blockage someone in the line. I am just wondering what the price of the line is before i go that way. BUT CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT SIZE THE FUEL LINE IS SO I CAN PRICE COMPARE??? THATS ALL I NEED TO KNOW FOR RIGHT NOW. THANK YOU>
WadeNKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
OldNuc
Super Member
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far Southwestern Iowa
Posts: 66,694
 

1998 SC2
Default Re: Fuel line specs on a 1998 Saturn Sl 1 (fuel injected)

WadeNKC; It is a dealer only part. It has special fittings on each end. You can not cut it and splice in a rubber fuel line and keep it from leaking. Others have tried and failed. A fuel leak is a lovely way to set the car on fire. You could get a replacement from a J/Y out of another car. You can disconnect your line at the filter and the rail and blow through it if you want.

The fact that the pump runs does not demonstrate that it is producing adequate flow or pressure. You need test equipment. Harbor Freight sells a pressure tester. The cost is 17.00 and the part number is 92699. You also have a regulator in the filter housing back by the tank on the left side of the car. If that regulator fails open then you will NOT have any fuel pressure. The Key ON engine off pressure should be 51psi. The filter regulator is a dealer only part or you can use a WIX 33931 aftermarket. The WIX is much cheaper. There are several other supposed substitutes, they do not work. If you have over 100,000 miles on the car the filter is due for replacement. You can disconnect the return line off of the filter/regulator and then turn the key on. You should get a bit of fuel out of the return but if you have no pressure at the fuel rail schrader valve and fuel at the return the regulator is failed open.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
SaturnTravis
New Member
SaturnTravis is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 8

2000 SL1
Thumbs Up Re: Fuel line specs on a 1998 Saturn Sl 1 (fuel injected)

I know this post is old, but I just cut into one at a junk yard and it is 1/4". I inserted a 1/4" barbed fitting into the hose and it held well, even without a clamp. Of course, a clamp would be needed on an actual install, but I'm doing some research for a custom project that involves the fuel lines!
SaturnTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
OldNuc
Super Member
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far Southwestern Iowa
Posts: 66,694
 

1998 SC2
Default Re: Fuel line specs on a 1998 Saturn Sl 1 (fuel injected)

Its metric but 1/4" is close and if the tube is warm it will seal. It is not recommended but you can make it work.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
TomM96
Master Member
TomM96 has a spectacular aura aboutTomM96 has a spectacular aura about
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,114
Default Re: Fuel line specs on a 1998 Saturn Sl 1 (fuel injected)

I believe that there are Some aftermarket 'kits' which may allow adapting to different types of fuel line. A good auto pparts supplier in my are demonstrated some adapters with O-ring connectors , etc.
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happens if you kink/bend a fuel line during fuel filter installation? Dingo Warrior S-Series Tech 4 05-31-2008 10:43 PM
1998 Fuel Filter - (Fuel line retainers) Jeffsimpson S-Series Tech 3 01-30-2008 09:42 PM
How do you remove the top fuel line on top of the fuel filer? turbobuick33 S-Series General 3 06-18-2006 10:28 AM
Fuel Pump Specs for '95 SL2 mjo S-Series Tech 7 03-30-2006 10:48 AM
fuel pressure leakdown specs zzyx7 S-Series Tech 9 02-21-2006 04:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.