saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 05-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
dagolong
dagolong is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2001 SL1
Default Air conditioning not working SL1

I fired up the A/C today only to find she was blowing hot air. The A/C light comes on when I press the button, but I don't feel or hear the A/C engage. The recirc button light comes on and the vents close so I know that the button panel is working.

Any tips on what could be preventing the A/C from kicking on? Fuse?
dagolong is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Air conditioning not working SL1

Do yourself a favor and try some light reading before reaching for the recharge cans; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80107. You may not want to know that the refrigerant leaked out and tripped the low pressure switch that saves your compressor from damage (by turning it off) if it were allowed to continue to run without gas. The oil needs the refrigerant to circulate in order to find its way back to the compressor for lubrication. Either spend the time to find the leak, then decide if you want to handle the repairs or bring the car to a pro that can do the work.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Do yourself a favor and try some light reading before reaching for the recharge cans; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80107. You may not want to know that the refrigerant leaked out and tripped the low pressure switch that saves your compressor from damage (by turning it off) if it were allowed to continue to run without gas. The oil needs the refrigerant to circulate in order to find its way back to the compressor for lubrication. Either spend the time to find the leak, then decide if you want to handle the repairs or bring the car to a pro that can do the work.
Hey, listen to fdryer, he knows what he's talking about. As he mentioned, find the "probable" leak and to save yourself some money, try to fix it yourself but if I were you, after fixing the leak, I'd take it to a professional place to have the system evacuated and filled. Also, it depends on how long the system has been empty of refrigerant, but you may want to install a new drier before having it refilled. They can be bought for around $30+ or so from http://acpartshouse.com/listitems.aspx?page=3&&

Good luck,
Jerry
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
dagolong

2008 VUE 2.4L
2001 SL1

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your replies. This sounds a little outside my bounds. Oil changes and air filters are one thing, a/c is a different class of issue. Too many funky tools and chemicals to mess with.

Maybe I'll just roll with the windows down for a while.

Maybe I'll take it to the shop.

I guess this would be a good use of my economic stimulus check.

Dave
Old 05-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
jasenpeters
jasenpeters is a jewel in the roughjasenpeters is a jewel in the roughjasenpeters is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

I just replaced my drier, expansion valve and o-rings. I got a pretty good deal here: https://www.ackits.com/pc/37-13528/S...+-+Accumulator

PS: A/C is not for the squimish, the hardest part is having the right tools and know how.
Re-Animated: 2015-08-18, 220,497 + 45,000 Miles
1996 SC2 DOHC, Manual, 220k, 36mpg Hwy
jasenpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolong View Post
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your replies. This sounds a little outside my bounds. Oil changes and air filters are one thing, a/c is a different class of issue. Too many funky tools and chemicals to mess with.

Maybe I'll just roll with the windows down for a while.

Maybe I'll take it to the shop.

I guess this would be a good use of my economic stimulus check.

Dave
Dave,
I thought the same way you do about air conditioning-----and knew nothing. But getting help on this board, especially from fdryer, I continued to look into it and replaced my own drier for about $30 and took it to a pro to have it evacuated and refilled and I'm good to go. There are some things you can do on your own and some you can't. If you want to spend the time to look into it, you'd be surprised how much you can accomplish. Good luck,
Jerry
Old 05-31-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
dagolong

2008 VUE 2.4L
2001 SL1

The weather has been relatively cool here so I haven't been pressed to get the A/C fixed.

I'm still looking for a way to find out if my A/C problem is electrical or with the compressor/system. Any tips on how to determine if the relays and controls are working OK before I tackle the HUGE job of finding leaks, etc?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
The weather has been relatively cool here so I haven't been pressed to get the A/C fixed.

I'm still looking for a way to find out if my A/C problem is electrical or with the compressor/system. Any tips on how to determine if the relays and controls are working OK before I tackle the HUGE job of finding leaks, etc?

Thanks
Check out Richpin's videos on the subject.
http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

Jerry
Old 05-31-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
dagolong

2008 VUE 2.4L
2001 SL1

Wow! That's a great set of videos. A true public service.

I'm off to RadioShack to get a multimeter. Wish me luck!
Old 05-31-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
stang50
stang50 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:

Thanks
I had a problem with the fuse one time on my 97 SL1 where the a/c wire had wound up on the compressor pulley and it wore off the rubber coating and shorted out the fuse, so check your fuse on the right side of the console and they may be one under the hood, I cant remember for sure before you go to checking for leaks, because the fuse can also cause your compressor not to kick on but if it's not the fuse you might wanna do like fdryer said and check for leaks. I bought some r134a uv dye for $10 and a uv light from autozone for $28 for my cavalier the other day and found out it was the compressor...But maybe it will just be a fuse for you...
stang50 is offline   Reply With Quote