SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2022, 06:03 PM   #1
Keblar
Keblar is a jewel in the roughKeblar is a jewel in the roughKeblar is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2
Default Troubleshooting TAAT Hard Shift

I've been scouring the archives for troubleshooting tips on transmission hard shifting. It's never had what I'd call reverse "slam" but reverse has been finicky and a little hard for years. As long as you were patient and held the brake until actually shifted though, it was fine.

Recently though it began hard shifting in all ranges. With a P0706 code (transmission range sensor). Downshift was even rougher. Even violent sometimes. Hard enough up and down to stop driving for fear of damage. Plus now reverse definitely has a "slam".

I cleared the PCM - No change. Did a fluid and filter change with Valvoline Blue (Hence my TranSynd and TES 295 questions last week). It was dark and definitely needed it, but not burnt or black - still, no change.

I ran the Wolfman Reverse Slam Fix, although without any additive, not expecting it to actually do anything. BUT, while the upshift and reverse are still hard, the downshift jerk is almost completely gone. I may actually try some seafoam trans tune and run the fix again since I plan on refilling with full synth anyway to see if the "fix" helps anything else. I doubt it but...

I still have to confirm the Transmission range sensor switch too, but I haven't seen any other transmission codes since resetting the PCM.

Still it IS seeming more and more like I'll need a rebuilt valve body. Going to keep looking to see if I'm missing any other possibilities.
2002 SL2 335k + Miles
Keblar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links