SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line

Old 01-10-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
annjot
annjot is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Red Line
Default 2007 VUE RL-sluggish start.

I just got my '07 RL about 6 weeks ago. Last Friday I turned the key to crank it and it wouldn't start. I turned it back and tried again. It cranked but was sluggish. I took it to saturn this week. they said the battery just needed to be charged. It is still sluggish to start. My husband took it to advanced auto parts to test the battery and verify if there was a problem with it. According to the machine the batter was fine. Anyone else have this problem?

Other problems I took it in for the same day was 1. front passenger door was not aligned. When the door was closed I could stick my fingers between the door and gasket. It sounded like someone letting air out of a float when driving. 2. The gas warning light didn't work. 3. The window gasket on the front driver side rubs the window when going down(not every time). The door is fixed. not sure yet about the window but it's pretty minor.
annjot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
fatabbot
Advanced Member
fatabbot is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2007 VUE RL-sluggish start.

Could the door and the sluggish battery be connected? Was the door not shutting well enough to turn off the interior lights, therefore running down the battery?
fatabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
dschrader
Advanced Member
dschrader is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by annjot View Post
I just got my '07 RL about 6 weeks ago. Last Friday I turned the key to crank it and it wouldn't start. I turned it back and tried again. It cranked but was sluggish. I took it to saturn this week. they said the battery just needed to be charged. It is still sluggish to start. My husband took it to advanced auto parts to test the battery and verify if there was a problem with it. According to the machine the batter was fine. Anyone else have this problem?

Sounds like a typical Honda 3.5 "slow cold start". I've driven many of these as demos since 2004 and once the MI winter hits the first start is always a tough one, even if I parked it in my garage overnight.
dschrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschrader View Post
Sounds like a typical Honda 3.5 "slow cold start". I've driven many of these as demos since 2004 and once the MI winter hits the first start is always a tough one, even if I parked it in my garage overnight.
Can't be too typical... I've never had a slow start event even if the car was outside all night. Even when the temps got down to 32F.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 14.7 beta
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
binkybaby
binkybaby is on a distinguished road

i have read about the slow start problem in a Honda manual and it is listed as normal and that it's due to the emissions system. It's not supposed to do this all the time, only every once in a while...........i have only had this once or twice, that's it.
-sXe for life-

Former Saturn owner but still a Saturn Fan~!

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L
binkybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkybaby View Post
i have read about the slow start problem in a Honda manual ......
Ha! Someone actually reads the manual! Uhh guys....
LOL
I am in a festy mood, and i propose folks RTFM before posting anything on Saturnalia....of course, nobody will listen to me...
'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:13 AM   #7
Red Line Vue
Red Line Vue is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Red Line

It has happened on our New RL VUE a couple of times and also on our 00 SL2 we use to have. I assumed it had something to do with the Alarm System So when it does it, I hit the Lock then the Unlock button on the Remote and it starts fine.
Tom
Red Line Vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:33 AM   #8
POLYMER-PANELS
POLYMER-PANELS is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

very interesting...I was about to post about the 'V-Tec slow or NO start' thing, too...my 2006 VUE RL occasionally does NOT start the first time...and when it does, it starts sluggishly...I thought there must be a problem, but from what I've read on the forum, this is 'normal'...still, I don't like it...I've driven all sorts of vehicles and always, the modern engines start on first turn of the key - except my VUE, that is! Even my trusty 1987 Fiero GT starts right off - and it's 20 years old!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkybaby View Post
i have read about the slow start problem in a Honda manual and it is listed as normal and that it's due to the emissions system. It's not supposed to do this all the time, only every once in a while...........i have only had this once or twice, that's it.
POLYMER-PANELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
annjot

2007 VUE Red Line

No, the door closed enough for the light to cut off. The noise was just annoying. It didn't seem to have a sluggish start when I first got it but it seems to be getting worse in my opinion. I traded an '03 VUE AWD 4cyl. in on this one and it didn't have a sluggish start but it didn't have a honda engine and trans so that might make a difference. I always have bad luck with Saturn's but keep getting them becaue it's what I like. The '03 had the sucky VTi Transmission. It went out on me after two years. They rebuilt it and less than a year later it started acting up again. Thanksgiving weekend we were out to eat and when we got in the car to leave it wouldn't go into drive, only reverse. We had it towed in and I traded it while it was in Saturn's shop. They told me they were putting a new Trans in before reselling it. It didn't matter to me that they were putting a new one in because that wouldn't fix the problem. they have to put the same kind back in it and it will eventually go out again. It's just something they didn't test long enough before using. When I took my RL to the shop on Tuesday to have all that stuff checked out they told me the '03 I had was sold to a lady without the new trans and she drove it a month before it went out on her. NOW it is getting the new transmission. Anyway, I hope my bad luck is not starting over with the new car.

Last edited by annjot; 01-11-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #10
annjot

2007 VUE Red Line

I dropped it off at Saturn again this morning. The head of the service department said he thought the start up sounded normal but said they'd check it out anyway. It seems sluggish to me pretty much every time I crank it. It also sounds rough when shutting off.

When I got home yesterday I also noticed it was making a weird noise when you shift from Park to Reverse or Reverse to Park. Anyone know if that is normal? I did not notice it doing that until last night.

They are checking both things out today. We'll see...
Old 01-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
dschrader
Advanced Member
dschrader is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Can't be too typical... I've never had a slow start event even if the car was outside all night. Even when the temps got down to 32F.
It's very typical. I'll bet I've driven 10-15 of these since 2004 for anywhere from 3-6,000 miles and everyone has had this characteristic. And every single one does on the lot when we have to move them to plow.

Remember for a lot of us 32F is very warm this time of year. Get down to single digits or below and see what the thing does.

Unfortunately it's just a characteristic of the powertrain, short of an engine block heater I can't think of anything you can do to change it.
dschrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #12
annjot

2007 VUE Red Line

This is my 5th saturn and I've never had a problem with a slow start in any weather. It's been between 50 degrees and 70 degrees around here lately and it does it all the time no matter the temp. I can drive 40 miles and turn it off when I get to where I am going and then right back on again and it still does it. Sometimes worse than other times.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #13
BlackBoyVUERL
BlackBoyVUERL is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem occasionally...hot or cold temps. It started the first week I had the car...
BlackBoyVUERL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #14
annjot

2007 VUE Red Line

Well, I picked it up from Saturn yesterday and they couldn't find anything wrong. The service manger let me listen to his '07 VUE crank and I guess it was about the same. He said his had not cranked before too. He had never had one do that before but it seems to be normal. I guess it must have something to with it being a honda engine instead of a GM. The honda engines are supose to be better than the GM engines so maybe the sluggishness will be the only problem. If so, then I guess I can live with it. lol.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #15
greyhound bus
greyhound bus is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by annjot View Post
I guess it must have something to with it being a honda engine instead of a GM. The honda engines are supose to be better than the GM engines so maybe the sluggishness will be the only problem. If so, then I guess I can live with it. lol.

You mean to tell me Honda built something that isn't perfect? Oh my, you have scarred me for life! I thought Honda and Toyota were creations of God. Honestly, the only thing I have noticed is it seems like ours cranks a few more revolutions than I would expect before it fires. My fuel injected GM engines seem to hit on the second or third revolution. The HondaVue seems to take four-six. It puts me in mind of a car thats losing a little bit of the prime in the fuel system. Of course, here in Northern Indiana, it has yet to get below 20 degrees this winter.
"Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!
greyhound bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #16
annjot

2007 VUE Red Line

Yea, that is basically what they said. it is just taking longer to fire. I hope it doesn't get worse if it gets colder.

I live in north/central Alabama and the weather has just been crazy here. It keeps going up and down. The highs have been in the 50's this week but tomorrow and Sunday it is supose to be in the 70's and then starting monday we'll be back in the 30's for highs. It's weird. I thought it's supose to winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound bus View Post
You mean to tell me Honda built something that isn't perfect? Oh my, you have scarred me for life! I thought Honda and Toyota were creations of God. Honestly, the only thing I have noticed is it seems like ours cranks a few more revolutions than I would expect before it fires. My fuel injected GM engines seem to hit on the second or third revolution. The HondaVue seems to take four-six. It puts me in mind of a car thats losing a little bit of the prime in the fuel system. Of course, here in Northern Indiana, it has yet to get below 20 degrees this winter.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #17
GotRedline
GotRedline is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
Thumbs Up Re: 2007 VUE RL-sluggish start.

Yes I have certainly noticed the same problem, but its only once every 10-15starts or so. Temperature does not impact mine. It can happen at any temperature. Mine never started to have the ocasional sluggish stars until I install the K&N air intake. I thought it was the Mass Air Flow sensor having trouble with the new intakes performance?

Anyway it starts fine 95% of the time so I'm not worried.
GotRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #18
rgroves
rgroves has a spectacular aura aboutrgroves has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam View Post
Ha! Someone actually reads the manual! Uhh guys....
LOL
I am in a festy mood, and i propose folks RTFM before posting anything on Saturnalia....of course, nobody will listen to me...
It's called RTFM...."Read The F@&$ing Manual", and I think it's very funny how almost everyone does not do it. I read everything cover-to-cover, maybe sometimes it's AFTER the fact, but I DO read it.
2006 Vue Redline - Silver

Past owner of:
1996 SL2
1998 SC2
2000 Dodge Dakota SLT
rgroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #19
binkybaby
binkybaby is on a distinguished road

Owner's manuals r like old copies of the Rolling Stone, good reading material for when i do my royal deed, play king for a minute and sit on the throne.
-sXe for life-

Former Saturn owner but still a Saturn Fan~!

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L
binkybaby is offline   Reply With Quote