SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 11-22-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
cybercyst
cybercyst is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 Saturn L100 2.2L Manual Transmission Headaches

Hi everybody,

Well, I've been having a bunch of problems with my car for some time now (more than a year) and am glad to have found this forum. Here is hoping that I can get some help squaring these problems away!

1) My exhaust manifold is cracked. Badly. This happened to me the day after I bought this car. (Whaa!!) I originally got a quick patch job done, which held quite well but for about a year now has been blown off and now my car sounds worse than ever! So, I don't want to pay $350+ to Saturn for a brand spanking new replacement and since I have a manual transmission, finding a used replacement has been nigh impossible! Therefore, do you guys know of any place that I could get a used replacement OR barring that, is it possible to remove it and get a good welding job done on it, something that would hold for a good long time?

2) Driver's side parking brake locked up. I had this problem in the winter before, as described in various other posts on this board, however, in this instance it isn't frozen up, but corroded, and not on the cable that enters the brake drum, but on the central cable that goes to the equalizer bar. So, is my best bet to try and replace this? (It is locked up hard right now, penetrating oil has not helped yet) Any other suggestions?

3) My blower fan motor has erratic operability. In other words, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes only everything but the highest setting works. I had it quit working all together before and upon replacing the resistor card, everything worked well, but only for a while. As far as I can tell the major fault lies in a spot where all the controls are spliced into other wiring behind the radio / heater controls.

4) My A/C quit working. I figured this was another electrical problem, so I traced the wires and found that electricity isn't even getting to the compressor. However, I heard from a buddy of mine that some newer cars have a sensor that sees if you are low on refrigerant, and if you are, won't even kick on the compressor to save it from being damaged. If that is the case, how can I check for refrigerant level if the compressor won't come on? Are there any other tests I can do before replacing the compressor completely?

5) This one is purely cosmetic, but the light that tells me that my daytime running lights are on sometimes works / sometimes doesn't. This happened after another friend of mine scraped something underneath the front hood on the driver's side... Any wiring that you know of or sensor or fuse that could be causing this?

Well that is all for now, but if I could get some help squaring these things away I would be incredibly happy! Thanks in advance for your help!

Forrest Loomis
cybercyst is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L100 2.2L Manual Transmission Headaches

Welcome, Loomis.
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

1. Are you saying the manual tranny L-Series have a different exhaust manifold than the automatic ones?

2. Did you use your parking brake on a regular basis prior to it breaking?

3. Most cars compressors won't kick in if they are low of refridgerant.
93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
cybercyst
cybercyst is on a distinguished road

Yeah, apparently the manual transmission exhaust manifolds are different... Just my luck they didn't make many of them.

And yeah, I did use it on a regular basis before its rusting up, which is why I am completly dumb founded as to why it is locked up so tightly.
cybercyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:14 PM   #4
L100
Advanced Member
L100 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Cybercyst:

Welcome to the forum. Overall it soundsl like you have had generally good luck with the car. How long have you had your L100.

I have the exact same car and it has served me rather well. I have serious new car fever, but I can't seem to part with this one quite yet.

There is a source for used Saturn parts so that you don't have to go around calling junk yards for your manifold.. I don't know how good they are but the website is http://www.6thplanetusedparts.com/

As far as your daytime running lights go, it could be several things. I started having all sorts of trouble with my headlights and dash lights back in 2002. I took it to the dealer because it was getting bad. I suspected it was in the wiring. It turned out to be in the headlight switch. Replaced it and all the problems disappeared. The repair was under $200.00.

You have a pretty good car. With a few minor repairs, you shold be able to hang onto it for a long time. Watch out for the manual transmission though. Change that fluid and get drain your master cylinder at least every couple of years. You don't want to lunch your clutch master and slave cylinders with lousy fluid.

Good luck.
L100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:54 AM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The park brake you will need to replace the park brake cable to fix the locking up. One piece calbe for both sides of the car. The exhaust and exhaust shield needs to come of to be able to replace the cable. If you are in a bad rust belt area order repalcemant joining clips for the cable to cable at the drums.

AC check the low side pressure pipe at the compressor to see if it is loose or broken at the compressor or just upstream away from the compressor. Not much further than a foot or two from the compressor. Other than that it may just be low temps.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
L100
Advanced Member
L100 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

During the summer of 2004, my AC quite working. The compressor wouldn't cycle. A shop found it was a freon leak thorough a crack in the high side line to the compressor. It was replaced and recharged for around $170.00.

To date the compressor has been fine..

Have them check the lines first. It will be a lot cheaper.
L100 is offline   Reply With Quote