SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1
Default Hard 4-3 downshift --> failing valve body?

Lately our '01 SL2 (auto) has started slamming on part-throttle 4-3 downshifts. 97K miles on the car. There are no other symptoms:

* Reverse engages normally - no slam
* All upshifts happen smoothly - no slam
* No trouble lights illuminated
* Full-throttle downshifts (4-2 or 4-1) happen smoothly - no slam
* If you anticipate needing to downshift and move the selector to 3, then apply the throttle, there is no slam
* Trans fluid and filter were changed 17K miles ago - fluid level, color, and odor are normal

Could this be caused by anything other than a failing valve body?
'95 SL1 auto (RIP)
'98 SL2 5sp (RIP)
'01 SL2 auto (RIP)
'99 SC1 auto (Mom's...keeps on truckin')
irish56 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
woopty
woopty is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Hard 4-3 downshift --> failing valve body?

"Could this be caused by other than a failing valve body???"

It seems that often when a failing valve body is the prognosis that the only issue is just one or two of the solenoids sticking or having a grainy actuation....

You can buy 'rebuilt' shift solenoids, They were simply removed from the valve body, cleaned well with solvent, tested with an ohm-meter to ensure that the coil was in proper condition then the contact posts cleaned, buzzed to make sure they actuate properly (These solenoids are normally open), the o-rings replaced and "Good as New"

This might well be worth a try with your 3-4 shift solenoid and Mainline Pressure Control solenoid as it costs next to nothing and doesn't take long to remove these solenoids from the car without removing the entire valve body.

Just a thought

edit: spelling and grammar
woopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
woopty

Oh yeah;
The proper resistance for the solenoids (for models years 93 and up) is 4 Ohms when cold and 6 Ohms when hot according to TransX.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1

Thanks for the info. Where's a good source for the "rebuilt" solenoid? I don't see them listed at NAPA or RockAuto.

Maybe I should just contact Special Forces for a rebuilt valve body?
'95 SL1 auto (RIP)
'98 SL2 5sp (RIP)
'01 SL2 auto (RIP)
Old 02-25-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
woopty

"Rebuilt" solenoids are usually available on ebay and are almost certainly a disrespected and 'off-label' approach..... Results are what matter though, and it's worked for me in the past....it's a cheap easy try to get your situation sorted out and at the worst, you'll still be good to go with a new VB regardless.

Before I sent off for a rebuilt VB, you might should check the connections through the wiring harness connectors in your VB, as a poor electrical connection = a voltage drop that will make your tranny shift poorly.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
irish56
Advanced Member

1999 SC1

I found the solution! I bought my wife a newer car and took the '01 SL2 for myself. I perform my 4-3 downshifts manually. No more slam!

When warm weather comes, I will be sure to check all the connections at the VB as you recommend. I hope to keep this car a long time. Other than this little glitch, it runs and drives like it did the day we drove it off the lot at Saturn/West almost nine years ago.
'95 SL1 auto (RIP)
'98 SL2 5sp (RIP)
'01 SL2 auto (RIP)
Old 06-15-2021, 12:58 AM   #7
Shrocky5
Shrocky5 has a spectacular aura aboutShrocky5 has a spectacular aura aboutShrocky5 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

I know it's a stretch as this thread is dated... But my 02 SL2 is doing this exact same thing. It's been doing it for a while. Did you ever chase down the actual problem?
Shrocky5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:59 PM   #8
El_bell
El_bell is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrocky5 View Post
I know it's a stretch as this thread is dated... But my 02 SL2 is doing this exact same thing. It's been doing it for a while. Did you ever chase down the actual problem?
Mine used to 4-3 shift kinda rough and all I've done to the transmission is a fluid change and new mounts. I would start with either the transmission mound or the 2 torque strut mounts. Idle/shifting became way smoother when I finally replaced those on mine.
El_bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:47 PM   #9
Shrocky5
Shrocky5 has a spectacular aura aboutShrocky5 has a spectacular aura aboutShrocky5 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Well problem solved. I decided to just throw a valve body at it. Ordered one from Ken Partin online got it next day. She shifts as good as my 2017 Sonata with 50k on it now. Smooth as butter. No more violent slam on 4 - - 3 downshifts.
Shrocky5 is offline   Reply With Quote